The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

What is a fair price for 3-4 month old AM cockerels? I have extra from my straight run chicks and need to sell a few. My problem is all of the people on Craigslist that are selling EE as AMs to cheap! It is so hard to get people to understand the difference when they can get the EEs for only $5-10. I was hoping to sell them for $15. They are some really nice black and blues but I don't need all of them.

What is a fair price for 3-4 month old AM cockerels? I have extra from my straight run chicks and need to sell a few. My problem is all of the people on Craigslist that are selling EE as AMs to cheap! It is so hard to get people to understand the difference when they can get the EEs for only $5-10. I was hoping to sell them for $15. They are some really nice black and blues but I don't need all of them.
extra cockerels are food prices..it is supply and demand. You can get what someone is willing to pay.
How much would you pay for a cockerel that you had to take home and butcher?

extra cockerels are food prices..it is supply and demand. You can get what someone is willing to pay.
How much would you pay for a cockerel that you had to take home and butcher?

I disagree. If someone is wanting a nice full blood rooster/cockerel to breed, not to eat, then they should pay a little more for them. By asking more for them hopefully will get them breeder homes not in a pot. I am talking only about the nicer cockerels that deserve to be breeders, I wouldn't sell a cull at that price, I would most likely put him in my freezer or pot. Lol.

jerryse:

I have to comment about your attitude and demeanor. You are so above all of us in knowledge and experience, but don't seem to mind aiding and advising we of the "don't have a clue club". I wanted to thank you in hopes that you would continue to do so. I fear that if we don't show our appreciation, you might lose interest in us and assume that we're not paying attention. I am cutting and pasting just about everything that you post! It is all so informative and interesting.

I do have a question: F1 is first generation of the project, correct? I am almost 53 and never have been much of a geneticist, and it has been a lil while since biology classes in Comm College. Are there any good books that pertain to chicken breeding and how to obtain colors/traits, that you would recommend? Please continue to educate us, as your information makes me want to really tackle some of these gorgeous colors and traits.
Ditto, just found this thread! :) Chirp

I am not Jerry and you are correct..tons of knowledge there.

Show season and conditioning keeps many very busy this time of year.

I have a few places i have found that are good reads. It is a start.

I think everyone who is serious about breeding chickens should invest in the SOP.
The link on my signature will take you to the APA and you can purchase it there. Anyone who is interested and serious about chickens can join the APA. A great place for information and the newsletters can give you shows coming up, results of show, and district news.

http://archive.org/stream/cu31924003158312#page/n31/mode/2up

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

http://www.ameraucana.org/

http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=3&page=1

http://poultrypress.com/

5 mth Pullet. What do you think?

She has made fast friends with the Seabright above. I tried to move her to the barn with the other large fowl and she stood by the bantam coop and kept trying to get back in and would not leave. I finally gave up and turned her in so she is happy again.

5 mth Pullet. What do you think?

She has made fast friends with the Seabright above. I tried to move her to the barn with the other large fowl and she stood by the bantam coop and kept trying to get back in and would not leave. I finally gave up and turned her in so she is happy again.
I don't know why, but i love this little pullet. She head is so soft looking. Total cuteness. I have never had whites..but if I seen a field of these i would fall in love.

I wish I could take pictures..I have a really bad camera and I have 0 knowledge about them or the art of taking good ones.

I want to ask opinions on a leggy male I have.

Of course I caught them grooming. They are almost 5 months old..the male is in back..look at them legs..

pullets

pullets

is she too smutty?

I need to take better pictures of him..but he is in the back again..My biggest concern is leg length.

I wish I could take pictures..I have a really bad camera and I have 0 knowledge about them or the art of taking good ones.

I want to ask opinions on a leggy male I have.

Of course I caught them grooming. They are almost 5 months old..the male is in back..look at them legs..

pullets

pullets

is she too smutty?

I need to take better pictures of him..but he is in the back again..My biggest concern is leg length.
I will give you my opinion.I like to see about half of the drumstick like he shows.In my opinion too many are getting too much fluff.Yes it does make them look bigger but it is all feathers.Makes them look more orpington like.I would compares him to others of similar age.Give him time to mature some more.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom