The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

5 mth Pullet. What do you think?

She has made fast friends with the Seabright above. I tried to move her to the barn with the other large fowl and she stood by the bantam coop and kept trying to get back in and would not leave. I finally gave up and turned her in so she is happy again.
It could be the lighting but I see a yellow beak.She looks to be still growing in feathers.Nice backyard layer.Yellow beak and skin are wrong for this breed.Many will say ee.Still a nice bird.

It could be the lighting but I see a yellow beak.She looks to be still growing in feathers.Nice backyard layer.Yellow beak and skin are wrong for this breed.Many will say ee.Still a nice bird.

Thanks JerrySe. I will look at the beak, but I believe you are right. I hope I get a pretty egg color from her. I have some blue chicks growing out now I will get picks for you to look at when they get a little bigger. I can't wait to see what color chicks I get from her and my Avatar Roo.

Here is a lavender cuckoo cockerel.Nice dark legs.The barring gene can result in spotted legs but lavender does not have this problem in my experience.This is a project color of mine.Others are also working on this color.I have posted these pics on the lavender thread also.

So if you are talking non-standard Ameraucanas they are still going to have those traits and might have a recessive gene pop up so one of those things would be off. Having a bearded, muffed bird with some type of peaish type comb but lacking red earlobes, white, skin, bay eyes, and proper conformation, etc isnt an Ameraucana. It has to have all the traits that make the breed, and project birds take years to develop because they have to have the traits that make the breed. Here is a visual:
This was a friends cockerel I happened to take a picture of. He is a Blue x Wheaten or Blue Wheaten.
He has all the traits of a Ameraucana except proper coloring. The last two are a LF Black Amer to give you some idea of the correct body type.

:

Yes gorgeous!!! Thank you for teaching us so much. I only have 1 barred now a blue barred LF Cochin, but have some Barred Rocks in the incubator. To have a Ameraucana fluffy face would be unbelievable.

Where do you begin? I've been told my LF barred cochin is a cockerel. Could I cross it to my white pullet above and get some very fluffy bearded EE?

Back
Top Bottom