The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Cody & Pam Padilla have some really great stock! I just got 18 hatching eggs from their best show quality pens and put them in the incubator. I've seen their birds up close at shows and they are terrific.

I got eggs from them last year and had very poor hatch rates and ended up with birds with yellow skin. I culled them all.

One thing I found with the breeder directory there is you seem to get a low percentage of call backs maybe just my bad luck lol but I respond to everyone that contacts me . Probably depends on the variety your looking for too I guess but a no email or call is better than not responding

I've had a reply from Schroeder farms, but nobody in my area is willing to in it with me, he is asking $10 a chick straight run. I only need pullets, so I'm afraid to go that route blind and end up with all roos or a small ratio, I can't use or need :(

In that case, you should probably purchase adult birds or at least ones that are old enough to tell gender.  Do realize though that many breeders will not sell females only.

I do understand that, and I would be ok with straight run of I had people to take n trade what i didn't need, and I would buy older, can't find those either, or they just want to sell pairs or trios, , or they aren't available until fall, and I need by May

Last edited:
Quote: Most are just starting to hatching for shows right now. They keep the best for showing and breeding and in fall.... sell what they do not need. The additional eggs after first hatches are sold and hatched as straight run. I live in Wisconsin and I have just started to set eggs for showing this year. I might have extra pullets available..and might is a big word. I show and raise BBS. I do not keep splash usually and sell all of those.

Most are just starting to hatching for shows right now. They keep the best for showing and breeding and in fall.... sell what they do not need. The additional eggs after first hatches are sold and hatched as straight run. I live in Wisconsin and I have just started to set eggs for showing this year. I might have extra pullets available..and might is a big word. I show and raise BBS. I do not keep splash usually and sell all of those.

Yeah I'm needing show birds :) didn't know it was this hard to come by, I bought my girls in September, , I didn't know breeders only do spring hatching.. lesson learned

I got eggs from them last year and had very poor hatch rates and ended up with birds with yellow skin. I culled them all.

I am sorry to hear of your bad experience, but thank you for the heads up. HOpefully this batch will turn out better. Did you contact the breeder? I would hope they made it right with you.

We just go an incubator and put 5 eggs in there. If we have silver hens and a buff rooster, what kind of chicks will we get? Will they be Ameraucanas, or EE's?
Also, we have a Swedish Hen Flower rooster in with them too. Those chicks will be a mix, but any idea about what color eggs they would lay?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom