The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

This is our cute little lav Ameraucana Felisha, she thinks she can get away with getting in our pot
with garden fresh herbs... When she went broody she had 12 eggs under her..She also
let's the BCM know's who's the boss.. :highfive:

I am new here and have decided that i want to raise blue wheaten ameraucanas i am researching breeders but i expect these birds to be proper sop proper egg color also wanting someone who really strives for blue eggs does anyone have any experience to share about which breeder you have used and pictures of what your birds/eggs look like want to start with a good line!

Help please and thank you :) Are these Easter Eggers?

They were sold to my friend as Ameraucanas. I kept one of the white ones and crossed him with my Barred Rock hens, hatched 37 chicks last weekend. They are all black, some with white spots on their heads, white bellies and some with white tips on their wings. Trying to figure out what they are going to turn into.

They were sold to my friend as Ameraucanas. I kept one of the white ones and crossed him with my Barred Rock hens, hatched 37 chicks last weekend. They are all black, some with white spots on their heads, white bellies and some with white tips on their wings. Trying to figure out what they are going to turn into.

Yes, ee's.

What you have is a sex linked cross. A non barred rooster over barred hens = barred male chicks white spot on head indicates barring. Pullets will be mostly black. Your white rooster is likely recessive white and it is hard to say what colors are hidden under the white. The black from the barred rock should overpower the other colors. Maybe not completely. You will most likely get greenish not dark olive eggs. Again it depends on the rooster as he could only carry 1 copy of the blue egg gene or even none. I hope this is helpful info.

Last edited:
Extremely helpful, thank you :) So the chicks with white on their heads (like these 2 in the pic) are going to be roosters, and the ones with no white on their heads hens? Do I understand this correctly?

Are there color clues to help sex Wheaten/Blue Wheaten chicks? Since the roosters are so different in color from the hens, I was wondering if there was anything to look for that might indicate gender. Thanks!

Betsy

Back
Top Bottom