The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

I hatched these 3 from Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas. Someone suggested they're EE's since their legs aren't the correct color. They're 3 weeks old. I'm trying to figure out if they're pullets or cockerels but now I need to know if they're true AM's as advertised by the breeder who also sells on this site. I was under the impression that leg color can change as the chick ages.

I hatched these 3 from Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas. Someone suggested they're EE's since their legs aren't the correct color. They're 3 weeks old. I'm trying to figure out if they're pullets or cockerels but now I need to know if they're true AM's as advertised by the breeder who also sells on this site. I was under the impression that leg color can change as the chick ages.

Mine are 4 weeks old and look like yours. My understanding is their leg color does change. I'm going to guess your first one is a Wheaten Cockerel. Mine look similar to your bottom two so I'll be curious to see what others think.

Mine are 4 weeks old and look like yours. My understanding is their leg color does change. I'm going to guess your first one is a Wheaten Cockerel.  Mine look similar to your bottom two so I'll be curious to see what others think.

I can't tell you what a relief it is to hear that! I hope others will agree with you. Thank you so much for your input!!! :)

I can't tell you what a relief it is to hear that! I hope others will agree with you. Thank you so much for your input!!!
smile.png

You're welcome! I've noticed just because people know Ameraucanas does not mean they know Wheatens. Take a look at a couple sites (pasted below) that have posted pics of their babies (notice the leg color seems to change sometime between 4-8 weeks. What I am having a hard time with is what colors I have. I can't find pics of the splash variety or blue wheaten pullets.

http://www.whitemountainsranch.org/wheaten--blue-wh-ameraucanas.html

http://www.muddyhillfarm.com/blog/2013/08/12/sexing-wheaten-ameraucana-chicks/

I am planning on putting that hen and rooster in the pictures above in a breeding pen with some of my other black hens. My goal is nice blues. I was considering getting some Blue Andalusions this year to cross with my Ameraucanas to to improve their lacing. Has anyone dabbled in this area or have any thoughts on the matter? I know some people have used Wyandottes for this too. Are straight combs difficult to breed out? Lots of questions! It's definitely chicken time again in my household!
big_smile.png
@Lacy Blues has some real nice ones

Quote:
I am so glad that @CarlieO asked that question, and that @OleMissChic answered, and with nice pictures to boot! I am getting wheatens this spring, and I am sure I would have panicked at babies with little pink legs. Funny, after all of the wheaten pictures that I have drooled over, I never noticed that the chicks started out with completely pale legs.

I am so glad that @CarlieO
asked that question, and that @OleMissChic
answered, and with nice pictures to boot!  I am getting wheatens this spring, and I am sure I would have panicked at babies with little pink legs.  Funny, after all of the wheaten pictures that I have drooled over, I never noticed that the chicks started out with completely pale legs.

It is quite frightening when you've invested so much $$ in them lol!

Looks like a wheaten cockerel and two pullets. They are of the wheaten variety. They hatch out with pink or skin colored legs and feet and they get darker as the bird matures.

Back
Top Bottom