The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Jerry,
Where did you get the barring gene from?
I have a couple of Cuckoo projects going , one being Lavendar Orps and have been wondering what I should use to get the barring gene?

Well I am also doing lavender cuckoo orp .The barring gene came from 3 different breeds that were eventually combined . I tinker a lot just to see what I get . White leghorn carried the first . I was making super blue layers at that time . The next was Araucana that carried barring and Erminett . Last was barred rock . I would suggest barred rock or maybe work together .

Just wanted to share an updated pic of Cheeks, our hatchery blue Ameraucana. She is very naughty, always getting into places she shouldn't be:

Well I am also doing lavender cuckoo orp .The barring gene came from 3 different breeds that were eventually combined . I tinker a lot just to see what I get . White leghorn carried the first . I was making super blue layers at that time . The next was Araucana that carried barring and Erminett . Last was barred rock . I would suggest barred rock or maybe work together .

Well the shipped eggs are not looking so good, really strange air cels?
I do have a Buff Orp/Barred rock Cockerel and pullet. I was planning on crossing her to a lav and him to some lavs and buffs as well as some of my EE's to get Barred EE's, then back to Ameraucanas with them. But thats alot of projecs to have going at one time, and i do not have the pens for all that! LOL

Does anyone have pictures of easy project pens?

Would anybody care to commet on our Wheaten cock?
His beard is in pretty sorry shape at the moment, he had a nice one when we got him but got picked clean soon after?
I am assuming that it will grow back in, not sure why it is coming in with white?

So some of you experts, is he good? Bad? Ugly??

Would anybody care to commet on our Wheaten cock?
His beard is in pretty sorry shape at the moment, he had a nice one when we got him but got picked clean soon after?
I am assuming that it will grow back in, not sure why it is coming in with white?

So some of you experts, is he good? Bad? Ugly??

Black stripes in hackle should not be there . This is a common problem . White fluff near tail should not be there . The red in hackle and saddle should be darker . Looks more orange to me . Something to work with if he is all you have . It is said the fluff shows because the transition from back to tail is too abrupt or tail angle too high. His tail angle is not too high in my opinion . Select for improvement in the next generation .

I see what your talking about the orange in the Hackle and saddles, I have been comparing to the Wheaten in the scrapbook. I never noticed how much difference there was in the colors.
I was wondering about the white fluff, as the scrapbook photo that bird has even more, I didn't know it wasn't supposed to be there.

He is the best I have, he is all I have other than that scrawny splash!
So now to find some hens to put him on.

I see what your talking about the orange in the Hackle and saddles, I have been comparing to the Wheaten in the scrapbook. I never noticed how much difference there was in the colors.
I was wondering about the white fluff, as the scrapbook photo that bird has even more, I didn't know it wasn't supposed to be there.

He is the best I have, he is all I have other than that scrawny splash!
So now to find some hens to put him on.

I guess I should have said keep the fluff to a minimum . I doubt that you will totally get rid of it .

Sexing question:

I have three bantam Wheaten Ameraucana, clutch mates.

One had his comb pink up very quickly, and started growing the darker male pattern feathers, so was clearly a boy.

For at least a week, maybe two, I thought that .i had two girls and one boy. Then, a second one started to get a slightly pinker comb, and suddenly the male colored feathers started to sprout out on his chest. The second one wasn't a runt, and was growing perfectly, just a late bloomer sexually speaking I guess.

So, then I thought, two boys and one girl.

Now, the third one is starting to show some pink on her/his comb. It is still completely female in feather color.

They are almost 8 weeks of age.

So... Guesses?

Can a female have a slight increase in pink in the comb at 8 weeks of age?

Do any Wheatens (maybe a splash), not get the darker male chest feathers by 8 weeks?

What is the normal, or more average age, for a Wheaten to get the darker chest feathers?

Black stripes in hackle should not be there . This is a common problem . White fluff near tail should not be there . The red in hackle and saddle should be darker . Looks more orange to me . Something to work with if he is all you have . It is said the fluff shows because the transition from back to tail is too abrupt or tail angle too high. His tail angle is not too high in my opinion . Select for improvement in the next generation .
I love his type and I don't think that his tail angle is too high either. I don't put so much faith in the tail angle/fluff hypothesis myself. A lot of my young cockerels start out with abrupt tail angles when they first go through "puberty" and then as they get older and more confident, they smooth out a lot. Some of them have perfect tail angle but still have fluff. I think that you should choose hens that have more correct color and good type and go from there.

Thanks for the replies..
I am looking for some pullets to go with him. Right now I only have 1 and seem to have a fertility issue.
Really just started looking , but it seems the blue wheatens are easier to find than wheatens?

Either way, hoping to take a drive sometime soon to get pullets/hens.

Back
Top Bottom