The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

$_1.JPG

Have you guys seen these? Is this a new color or have I been out of the loop?

Jerry (Or Jean if you're out there), I want to add some new blood to my flock next spring. I have a lot of Paul Smith birds and they are really nice, I love their type. I think I am going to order from Paul and Angela again this winter but I want to order from someone else too. I am going to concentrate on lavenders (got some beautiful lavs from Paul and Angela two years ago). On the issue of adding new blood, who should I order from? Is there anyone with birds as nice as the Smith's? I had some John Blehm birds and they were nice but they lacked a bit of the size and WOW-ness that my Smith birds have. But I was thinking that the John Blehm birds might lack substance but retain more accurate type so I was thinking that might be a good source for unrelated chicks. Does anyone else come to mind where lavenders are concerned?

What for y'all feed your birds that free range? What do you feed the ones who do not.

I was feeding 22% layer was told to much calcium for roos and non layers. Started feeding Game Bird Starter/Grower. Its 24% protein. Was told that was to much protein. I'd like yo find something in pellet form that doesn't cost a arm and leg.

These are Wheaten/Blue Wheaten large fowl, just moved from the incubator. I remember being alarmed the first time I saw the yellow legs. You'll see the beginning of the change to light slate gray soon.

With Buff/Blue wheaten/wheaten Ameraucanas you want yellow light legs that's a trait of the" Extension Wheaten (eWh)" gene that their color is based off of. If either of them are born with any black on them. They should not be used for breeding.

Back
Top Bottom