The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

This is a pic from a few months ago comparing his legs to his siblings legs. Now the legs colors are almost the same which is what has me so confused.

This was from a couple weeks ago and his legs continue to darken.

This is a pic from a few months ago comparing his legs to his siblings legs. Now the legs colors are almost the same which is what has me so confused.

This was from a couple weeks ago and his legs continue to darken.

Pictures help . Yes at this age he is a EE . This can happen as yellow legs/skin needs 2 copies of the gene to show . Recessives can pop up if not test mated before breeding .

I have a cockerel who now has slate\blue legs but when he was younger his legs were definitely greenish while his three siblings legs were slate/blue at that time. I am wondering if he might not carry the blue egg gene as I read the roosters with green legs only sometimes do. I want to breed for APA standard and for blue eggs, so wondering if he should culled.
That happened to me, the legs getting darker as he got older, but he had other issues so I culled him; when I went to process him I discovered the bottoms of his feet were very yellow. So now I check there too.

One of the 1st things we did after moving to a large property was to buy chickens for eggs. We started with RIRs and BOs with 2 "Ameraucanas" who turned out to be EEs. They are funny and beautiful and lay nice blue eggs. After doing enough research to find that we did not have Ameraucanas, we grew more interested in the purebreds. We found a breeder with in driving distance and picked up some Rhodebar hatching eggs and 4 Ameraucana chicks. My daughter is interested in joining 4H with her new purebreds. We did find that all of the "Ameraucanas" at the 4H show this past year were EEs. My daughter is determined to correct that.

Here are our new chicks. Just by tail carriage and attitude, we are betting that the black one is a roo.

Here is a picture of the breeders stock. I am hoping we actually got Ameraucanas this time!! I only made it through 15-20 pages of the thread so far, but leaned a lot. Will keep reading!!

Pictures help . Yes at this age he is a EE . This can happen as yellow legs/skin needs 2 copies of the gene to show . Recessives can pop up if not test mated before breeding .

Thanks for the info on genes for leg color now it all makes sence. He is out as a breeder then because I don't want him only passing one gene to his chicks for dark leg color.
Any thoughts on entering him in 4H show as far as disqualifications?

My chicks are 5 weeks old and feathering in their heads this week and I'm not seeing any sign of the muff or beard. Please someone tell me that they grow in later. : )

The crest is Australian standard but apart from that it's supposed to be the same as Ameraucana's, but I believe we have more accepted colours. I can't find any local information so hoping someone here can help.

My chicks are 5 weeks old and feathering in their heads this week and I'm not seeing any sign of the muff or beard. Please someone tell me that they grow in later. : )

The crest is Australian standard but apart from that it's supposed to be the same as Ameraucana's, but I believe we have more accepted colours. I can't find any local information so hoping someone here can help.
No the muff and beard should be visible at hatch . They sometimes go through a stage where it is hard to tell but you are not likely to get any muff or beard on that one.

That happened to me, the legs getting darker as he got older, but he had other issues so I culled him; when I went to process him I discovered the bottoms of his feet were very yellow. So now I check there too.
I checked the bottom of his feet and they aren't yellow at all. It's weird though the area between the toes looks pale like my skin tone with the grey leg color blending over it.

Back
Top Bottom