The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

How do I go about gaining a knowledge base for chicken genetics? I want to understand but after reading about 45 posts, the needle hasn't moved much because I am missing too many chunks of the language. I know most of the words in a sentence but they don't mean what I think they mean when they are put together :) And I don't know the genetics abbreviations at all so they are just a bunch of ideas I don't have pictures for lol. Any tips for where to study up from utterly ignorant to beginner level? What I am finding in my research online seems to be too focused, expecting the reader to already have some basic knowledge that I clearly don't possess yet.

How do I go about gaining a knowledge base for chicken genetics? I want to understand but after reading about 45 posts, the needle hasn't moved much because I am missing too many chunks of the language. I know most of the words in a sentence but they don't mean what I think they mean when they are put together :) And I don't know the genetics abbreviations at all so they are just a bunch of ideas I don't have pictures for lol. Any tips for where to study up from utterly ignorant to beginner level? What I am finding in my research online seems to be too focused, expecting the reader to already have some basic knowledge that I clearly don't possess yet.
I totally get that, I have the same issues with the abbreviations and not knowing what everything means in a sentence when I do individually worded.

I graze, and just try to soak up whatever sticks genetics wise. Which for me usually is the basic one gene dominant and recessives

Here's a couple good places to learn.
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingCQ.html

Well, the second one's website seems to have expired, which is no help. It was a very helpful one on colors/pattern genetics.

http://kippenjungle.nl/sellers/page0.html
This is one page (with links to others) that starts with a basic rundown of how genetics work, goes on to discuss chicken genetics in particular, and the last of the pages has a list of chicken genes (abbreviations and names) with some notes about each one.

Here's a couple good places to learn.
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingCQ.html
Good advice. I also find this one helpful to visualize what some of the genes do.
Under the rooster picture on the left, there is a list of both abbreviations and names of genes. And then you can change the genes for the rooster or the hen, and see the picture change.

So for example, I can change the "B" gene (barring) and get white bars on the chicken in the picture. Or I can change "Bl" (blue) and all the black parts of the chicken turn blue or splash, depending on how many copies of the blue gene the chicken has.

That calculator is designed to figure what offspring you can get from a cross, but I mostly use it to model what a given combination of genes can look like on a rooster or a hen.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/292200/Crazy_Plant_Shop/ This game is a fun way to learn the basics of genetics.

Also, look up The Amoeba Sisters on YouTube (high school biology). They have a genetics playlist.

Back
Top Bottom