The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

http://kippenjungle.nl/sellers/page0.html
This is one page (with links to others) that starts with a basic rundown of how genetics work, goes on to discuss chicken genetics in particular, and the last of the pages has a list of chicken genes (abbreviations and names) with some notes about each one.

Good advice. I also find this one helpful to visualize what some of the genes do.
Under the rooster picture on the left, there is a list of both abbreviations and names of genes. And then you can change the genes for the rooster or the hen, and see the picture change.

So for example, I can change the "B" gene (barring) and get white bars on the chicken in the picture. Or I can change "Bl" (blue) and all the black parts of the chicken turn blue or splash, depending on how many copies of the blue gene the chicken has.

That calculator is designed to figure what offspring you can get from a cross, but I mostly use it to model what a given combination of genes can look like on a rooster or a hen.
Thank you, the calculator is a bit daunting at 1st glance and I couldn't find a starting page. This helps !

@nicalandia, is that Asil you have a parrot beak? Just wanting confirmation.

Also, someone doesn't believe the parrot beak isn't a bred in trait, but a mutation.
The ones I had were not officially "Parrot Beak" because they were actually old blood Reza Asils from Puerto Rico, very stocky, very meaty with short beaks.. But The Parrot Beak, Long Tail is a breed from India 100%, They just kept breeding the birds that they liked and ended up with that phenotype.

The ones I had were not officially "Parrot Beak" because they were actually old blood Reza Asils from Puerto Rico, very stocky, very meaty with short beaks.. But The Parrot Beak, Long Tail is a breed from India 100%, They just kept breeding the birds that they liked and ended up with that phenotype.
The one that was brought up was from the Post in thread 'In this Breeding thread, we post our Breeding Wishes.'

The one that was brought up was from the Post in thread 'In this Breeding thread, we post our Breeding Wishes.'
Oh yeah, the long neck one is a Parrot Beak.

Parrot Beak Asils are supposed to have Walnut Combs, but you know that to make Walnut Comb you need Pea and Rose together. As with many breeds(for example Red Shoulder Yokohama) you will see birds with Pea and Rose comb(not as often of course).

This is Without a Doubt a Parrot Beak Asil with a Rose Comb.

1668348293836.png

This is Without a Doubt a Parrot Beak Asil with a Rose Comb.

View attachment 3321341
Oh yeah, the long neck one is a Parrot Beak.

Parrot Beak Asils are supposed to have Walnut Combs, but you know that to make Walnut Comb you need Pea and Rose together. As with many breeds(for example Red Shoulder Yokohama) you will see birds with Pea and Rose comb(not as often of course).
Cubalaya is weird, for saying your bird isn't a Parrot Peak Aseel:p.

Back
Top Bottom