The best broody breed

I'm not sure people are taking foraging/free ranging into account when giving out suggestions. I personally know my brahma are terrible about foraging, those feathered feet make it harder for them to properly dig around
Most don't, because the question was just for best brooding breeds, with little mention of if the flock will be contained or not. If the flock is contained, they don't need to be good at foraging or predator alerting

I'm not sure people are taking foraging/free ranging into account when giving out suggestions. I personally know my brahma are terrible about foraging, those feathered feet make it harder for them to properly dig around
Don't take me wrong, I love Brahmas. I always had them when I kept chickens back in my Village. They are great birds, plus great setters. However they are not as persistent broodies as Aseels, they don't care for their chicks as long as Aseels do. They look after their chicks even after they resume laying. I have seen them trying to cover chicks that are almost as big as themselves.

In a backyard setting you assume that one would like to give their hens some time on dirt

Don't take me wrong, I love Brahmas. I always had them when I kept chickens back in my Village. They are great birds, plus great setters. However they are not as persistent broodies as Aseels, they don't care for their chicks as long as Aseels do. They look after their chicks even after they resume laying. I have seen them trying to cover chicks that are almost as big as themselves.

In a backyard setting you assume that one would like to give their hens some time on dirt

Agreed. I like my brahma as well, but I really do think aseel make better mothers. They keep their chicks for way longer, for starters

Temperament outside of brooding. Looks. Cold hardiness.

Well, since brooding is the topic of discussion in this case. Looks I get. Now, cold hardiness is not something I can claim to have experience with, but I've not heard any complaints by any keepers about their cold tolerance. Plus, the other breeds usually recommended are equally at risk from the cold. Feathered feet, silkied feathering...etc

Well, since brooding is the topic of discussion in this case. Looks I get. Now, cold hardiness is not something I can claim to have experience with, but I've not heard any complaints by any keepers about their cold tolerance. Plus, the other breeds usually recommended are equally at risk from the cold. Feathered feet, silkied feathering...etc
Do aseel have down under their feathers or are they like cornish bantams where they dont have very much of anything under their outer feathers? Feathered feet can help protect toes, silkied feathering does well when kept dry.

And while they are looking for a good broody, temperament outside is still important. I've heard many people talk about how aggressive their female aseels are in general, so they likely wouldn't be good in most flocks unless kept in specific ways

Back
Top Bottom