The best broody breed

I have always wanted to hatch my chicks out under a broody hen. I had a mixed hen that went broody twice then was taken by a fox. We couldn’t let her hatch out chicks for numerous reasons. I have two buff Orpingtons and none have gone broody. I got a wyandotte chick and she is 8 weeks so she might be able to get it done. I need a LF breed that dose well in cold and heat as for egg color I would prefer a dark speakled or blue/green color for egg color but peach or white would be fine. I have been looking at standard Cochins but what are your thoughts?
Have you considered Brahmas? They make very good mothers. They go broody frequently and are considered very large. They're very calm and docile. Also, they are cold and heat-hardy. But their eggs are brown, and I'm not sure about how they would do with predators.
I don't think you can get a green egg layer that is large and cold/heat-hardy.
Brahmas are a good choice for your criteria.
:thumbsup

2 orpingtons is a small sample size, if you like them i would say get more. 3 of my 5 went broody their first year. I wouldnt be surprised if the other 2 will also brood at some point.

I have always wanted to hatch my chicks out under a broody hen. I had a mixed hen that went broody twice then was taken by a fox. We couldn’t let her hatch out chicks for numerous reasons. I have two buff Orpingtons and none have gone broody. I got a wyandotte chick and she is 8 weeks so she might be able to get it done. I need a LF breed that dose well in cold and heat as for egg color I would prefer a dark speakled or blue/green color for egg color but peach or white would be fine. I have been looking at standard Cochins but what are your thoughts?
SILKIES!!! They are notorious for often going broody and raising chicks, and they typically make good mothers as well! They are a smaller breed so they can’t cover as many large eggs as other breeds may be able to, but they are one of the most reliable in my opinion. They do lay medium-sized off-white eggs, but if their main purpose is for brooding, they by far make up for their lower production with their genetic tendency to go broody often.

Besides that, they make excellent pets and many times are very friendly and sociable with people, some even being so bonded with humans that they make good lap birds! They are pretty heat resistant; I live in Phoenix and the summers here are HOT!! Mine do just as well as any other breed I have. Now, I could be mistaken, but I think their down-like feathers don’t hold in heat as well, but they can still withstand some pretty low temperatures.

So, to answer your question, I think that you should go with a silkie since her main purpose would be to hatch chicks. :D

SILKIES!!! They are notorious for often going broody and raising chicks, and they typically make good mothers as well! They are a smaller breed so they can’t cover as many large eggs as other breeds may be able to, but they are one of the most reliable in my opinion. They do lay medium-sized off-white eggs, but if their main purpose is for brooding, they by far make up for their lower production with their genetic tendency to go broody often.

Besides that, they make excellent pets and many times are very friendly and sociable with people, some even being so bonded with humans that they make good lap birds! They are pretty heat resistant; I live in Phoenix and the summers here are HOT!! Mine do just as well as any other breed I have. Now, I could be mistaken, but I think their down-like feathers don’t hold in heat as well, but they can still withstand some pretty low temperatures.

So, to answer your question, I think that you should go with a silkie since her main purpose would be to hatch chicks. :D

I'd like to see a silkie hunting for her brood

Have you considered Brahmas? They make very good mothers. They go broody frequently and are considered very large. They're very calm and docile. Also, they are cold and heat-hardy. But their eggs are brown, and I'm not sure about how they would do with predators.
I don't think you can get a green egg layer that is large and cold/heat-hardy.
Brahmas are a good choice for your criteria.
:thumbsup
I almost got a brahma this year but the blue eggs got me instead. Are any variations of brahma better than others? I have always loved the color of the dark brahmas.

Is their a standard silkie breed? I’ve only seen bantam silkies an I’m afraid my cockerel would hurt a bantam.

Back
Top Bottom