The best dewormer for my chickens

If possible take in some fresh combined droppings to a vet to look for a worm problems. I like Valbazen which you may find locally or online. Dosage is 1/4 ml for bantams, 1/2 for small chickens under 5 pounds, and 3/4 ml for larger birds. Give it once and repeat in 10 days.

Another one is SafeGuard Liquid Goat wormer. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound orally, and repeat in 10 days. For more serious worms give it for 5 consecutive days.

If possible take in some fresh combined droppings to a vet to look for a worm problems. I like Valbazen which you may find locally or online. Dosage is 1/4 ml for bantams, 1/2 for small chickens under 5 pounds, and 3/4 ml for larger birds. Give it once and repeat in 10 days.

Another one is SafeGuard Liquid Goat wormer. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound orally, and repeat in 10 days. For more serious worms give it for 5 consecutive days.

This may be a silly question, I have 9 chickens that are 16 weeks today, (Yay) and have never been wormed. Should I deworm them anyway. Just wondering because I read somewhere you should deworm them twice a year.....

Worming is probably a good idea for someone living in Florida. Tropical climates tend to have more parasites.
Worming schedules can vary from once a year in dry arrid climates, twice a year in normal climates, and up to 4 times a year in wet warm climates.

Some people never worm their chickens. It is a personal choice. All chickens may have some worms, but they may handle some if they are healthy. Worms can damage the intestines, cause blackages, even breathing or crop problems in certain types.

But many will get droppings checked by a vet with a fecal test, to see if there is a worm problem, and what types of worms are present. That way, you know what to use. That is what I would do if possible. Some vets will not do that, so using a good wormer such as Valbazen or Safeguard then is being prudent. Some rotate different wormers so the worms don’t become immune to the same one.

There will be varied opinions on worming, the more you read. Some will tell you they will never use chemicals to worm chickens. But the so-called natural wormers do not really work, if you read studies. Chickens can die of worm blockages or they can get more rare worms, such as capillary (thread worms) worms, can really be harmful. I do try to worm my chickens in the fall, and again in spring.

I would read some good articles to become more informed, such as this one:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens/

Worming is probably a good idea for someone living in Florida. Tropical climates tend to have more parasites.
Worming schedules can vary from once a year in dry arrid climates, twice a year in normal climates, and up to 4 times a year in wet warm climates.

Some people never worm their chickens. It is a personal choice. All chickens may have some worms, but they may handle some if they are healthy. Worms can damage the intestines, cause blackages, even breathing or crop problems in certain types.

But many will get droppings checked by a vet with a fecal test, to see if there is a worm problem, and what types of worms are present. That way, you know what to use. That is what I would do if possible. Some vets will not do that, so using a good wormer such as Valbazen or Safeguard then is being prudent. Some rotate different wormers so the worms don’t become immune to the same one.

There will be varied opinions on worming, the more you read. Some will tell you they will never use chemicals to worm chickens. But the so-called natural wormers do not really work, if you read studies. Chickens can die of worm blockages or they can get more rare worms, such as capillary (thread worms) worms, can really be harmful. I do try to worm my chickens in the fall, and again in spring.

I would read some good articles to become more informed, such as this one:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens/
Thank you for your advice. I’m all about preventative measures....

Back
Top Bottom