The Best Tasting Duck?

Ducks, like any other animal, will taste differently depending on what they eat. Just like one beef steer feed corn will taste different from a free range steer raised on grasses. Grain fed domestic ducks tend to be the best table fare. Of those, pekins are the breed chosen for meat production based on rapid growth, and good flavor when harvested at less than full adult stages. In wild ducks the best eating in my opinion is Wood Duck. This is because their diet of almost entirely acorns gives the meat an outstanding flavor. Next choice in wild duck would be mallard but the flavor can be off if the ducks have been eating a good deal of aquatic stuff instead of grains. When ducks eat primarily aquatic plants the meat takes on a flavor much like beef liver and I'm not a fan of liver. My meat ducks are all pekins raised on grains only and harvested young. They are also heavy layers so you get the benefit of lots of eggs both for consumption and keeping the flock going. Hope this helps.

Very helpful, though now I need to figure out some grains to grow for 'em (and how to get them to eat that and not the water hyacinths or too much duckweed).

Quote:
Best bet would be a seperate pen for the ducks that are destined for the table. That way you can control thier diet easily. Harvest at around 16 weeks of age. Vacumme pack and freeze any that you will not consume right away. I know it's tempting to let them continue to grow and save freezer space but you will enjoy the meat more if havested young and properly stored. As far as good grains to grow yourself, cracked corn is prefered for meat ducks but takes time to grow and requires a mill to process (ducks do not digest whole corn well). Millet is easy to grow and ducks enjoy it but can be difficult to properly harvest without specialized equipment, we grow it in our dove fields and harvest some by hand for the ducks when it's ready but most of our duck feed comes from the feed store.

I suggest you should riase muscovies,because they breed vary easy and are good mothers often beeing broody up to 3 times a year.Plus they are delicious ! To me they taste like goose but more leaner than geese.I want to raise pekins too,and I will hatch them with muscovy hens so they will be all natural no incubators.

Muscovies? That's not a duck. That's an amphibious chicken...

?
hide.gif
you've lost me.

Best bet would be a seperate pen for the ducks that are destined for the table. That way you can control thier diet easily. Harvest at around 16 weeks of age. Vacumme pack and freeze any that you will not consume right away. I know it's tempting to let them continue to grow and save freezer space but you will enjoy the meat more if havested young and properly stored.As far as good grains to grow yourself, cracked corn is prefered for meat ducks but takes time to grow and requires a mill to process (ducks do not digest whole corn well). Millet is easy to grow and ducks enjoy it but can be difficult to properly harvest without specialized equipment, we grow it in our dove fields and harvest some by hand for the ducks when it's ready but most of our duck feed comes from the feed store.
I don't think separate pens would work, due to lack of space, though I considered it for a while. I'm hoping to get about three or four ducks and eat the second generation.

I gotta look into vacuum packing now. Anything to preserve food until I need it. I hate food spoiling too soon.

Quote:
Vacuum packing is the way to go. We've had venison from the freezer that was two seasons old and was still perfect. Great for things other than meat as well. I'm on my third Foodsave system since they first came out. Lost one to a divorce and wore another out over the course of several years.

Yep, I second Quack Addict...the foodsavers are the way to go...their great! We've used them for years for hunting season.

Now I have a question for those who have harvested ducks in past seasons. What is a normal "batch size" for ducks. I have a single pair of muscovies (although I'm liking the idea of crossing them with Pekin...nice eating for sure). What have you all found to be an "optimum" quantity for freezer camp? This would be my first go-round to raise them for meat. I'm not looking to sell them (yet) but if it works out...hey, anything is possible! I'll probably butcher this batch myself, but if I get into the selling of ducks for meat, I'll take them to a local butcher who is certified.

Thanks,
Dawn

Back
Top Bottom