~The Broody Thread~

Pics

DotToDot

Crowing
Apr 11, 2023
It’s spring again where I live, and you know what that means: broodies!

I know there used to be a broody thread on BYC, but unfortunately, I can’t find it, so I started my own. This is a place for people to talk about their broody hens, post pictures, and ask questions.
In my flock of six, I only have one consistently broody hen, which isn’t a huge problem. HOWEVER, I do work quite a bit at a farm that has a little less than a hundred birds. Around this time of year, they get many, many broodies, most of which I have to deal with, so I would consider myself fairly knowledgeable on this subject.
Broodies can be great if you want chicks, but often they’ll get bored halfway through sitting. Othertimes, you might not have a rooster, and your hen will happily sit on the eggs all day. Broodies, I’ve found, will sit on her eggs, other eggs, stone eggs, plastic Easter eggs, vaguely egg-shaped objects such as golf balls, and even no eggs.

So, broody owners… how are you dealing with your determined to-be-mother hens?

I know there used to be a broody thread on BYC, but unfortunately, I can’t find it, so I started my own. This is a place for people to talk about their broody hens, post pictures, and ask questions.
In my flock of six, I only have one consistently broody hen, which isn’t a huge problem. HOWEVER, I do work quite a bit at a farm that has a little less than a hundred birds. Around this time of year, they get many, many broodies, most of which I have to deal with, so I would consider myself fairly knowledgeable on this subject.
Broodies can be great if you want chicks, but often they’ll get bored halfway through sitting. Othertimes, you might not have a rooster, and your hen will happily sit on the eggs all day. Broodies, I’ve found, will sit on her eggs, other eggs, stone eggs, plastic Easter eggs, vaguely egg-shaped objects such as golf balls, and even no eggs.

I love broodies!

I have one right now but so far this year I've had, 3 broody chickens and 2 broody ducks 😂

The one I have right now is sitting on a shelf without any eggs. But that doesn't seem to bother her 🤣

My two Broodys are a Black Marans and a Silver Birchen Chocolate Orpington Bantam. One steals eggs to sit on them, the other justs sits. No egg needed. Btw there is no rooster. Silly girls. Lol

I have a broody silkie that has been going strong for.... almost 2 months!
First, I gave her just some random eggs from my flock... then about a week later I took those into my incubator and gave her some of my mandarin duck eggs, then a week later, some more mandarin eggs. Then 10 days later I took the duck eggs and gave her some Lady Amherst pheasant eggs, then a couple days before they hatched I took them. Yada yada... now she has 5 peafowl eggs set to hatch July 6th and she's going as strong as ever! Yeah yeah, I'll let her keep the peachicks this time.

I have a broody silkie that has been going strong for.... almost 2 months!
First, I gave her just some random eggs from my flock... then about a week later I took those into my incubator and gave her some of my mandarin duck eggs, then a week later, some more mandarin eggs. Then 10 days later I took the duck eggs and gave her some Lady Amherst pheasant eggs, then a couple days before they hatched I took them. Yada yada... now she has 5 peafowl eggs set to hatch July 6th and she's going as strong as ever! Yeah yeah, I'll let her keep the peachicks this time.
Lol silkies are the broodiest chickens I’ve ever seen. There’s one in the farm I work at. She’s been broody for two YEARS. I don’t mean on and off broody. She‘s been sleeping on the nest for two years. Every month, I shut her out of the next box for a day, and I bring her food and water. Sounds like your silkie is pretty consistent too!

Lol silkies are the broodiest chickens I’ve ever seen. There’s one in the farm I work at. She’s been broody for two YEARS. I don’t mean on and off broody. She‘s been sleeping on the nest for two years. Every month, I shut her out of the next box for a day, and I bring her food and water. Sounds like your silkie is pretty consistent too!
...2..... Y... years?!?! I just hope she can go long enough to hatch these peachicks, then I will be forever in her debt, she has already hatched me so much.

Well a few weeks ago I had 3 Serama hens go broody and hatch 2 chicks. Both chicks didn't survive though. Now another Serama hens is sitting on eggs due in about 2 weeks. I have a Marans hen that has been broody for like 2 months with no eggs. I finally snuck some chicks under her tonight. I have had great luck with broodies for the past few years and much rather use them then brooding chicks myself.

Back
Top Bottom