The Buckeye Thread

I have to add that the Cornish cross are not all bad. I don't like that they can not reproduce, but mine in a chicken tractor the Joel Salatan type, turned out excellent. They didn't just sit and eat, they foraged and ran around. They even got out once and we called and shook the feed cup and they all came running back. We only filled the 4'feeder once a day and they didn't have day organs at 10 Weeks, we butchered them ourselves and they were quite lean. It all depends on how they are handled. Just like horses can be overweight and underweight of the same breed. Just depends on conditions. I have a group arriving soon.

This is a Buckeye cross between EE/Buff Orpington rooster x Buckeye hen.. I was surprised that the phenotype of the Buckeye was so dominate. I have a mixed flock of EE's but intend to replace the old ones with pure Buckeyes. He is 4.5 months and is feeding and breeding the hens. I have a dozen eggs from him under a hen.

Last edited:
I have found that the Buckeye comes out very heavy in any of the crosses I have ended up with here. They also tend to be quite leggy like this fellow you have ChickenRose, until they get just a little older, then they start getting more beefy built. They make a wonderful bird to cross for meat, or heck, all by themselves. They grow out faster than any other dual purpose breed I have tried and are ready to go to process with plenty of breast, thigh and drumstick in less than 6 months where many others are just getting passed the bone growing stage and beginning to put on some flesh. I have found much better breast size on Bucks than any other breed besides Cornish (not the CRX freaks, I don't compare them much to real chickens).

Greetings :)

My name is Mel and our family currently lives in central Texas. We will be moving in the late summer to take possession of the old family farm in north-central Louisiana - I have joined this forum, after lurking extensively, to make connections with folks that manage their flock as working contributors to their homestead/ small farm (ie: meat and eggs) and breed to support that contribution.

I am specifically wishing to learn about spiral breeding with broody's (and accommodations that can be made for a small flock), creating a foraging environment (the pastures and wooded areas were used for cows 30+years ago and haven't been used since) and slaughtering and processing. I also have questions about how to initially contact a breeder, what questions to ask about their breeding practices, and how to convey my desire for a well built chicken that doesn't have to have perfect coloring.

At this time I plan to use 1 1/3 acre to house and day range less than 20 permanent chickens (with exceptions for growing out offspring and culling of hens/cocks) using rotational paddocks. I intend to focus on a single breed but understand I may need to consider a broody type to get things off the ground....it's my understanding that it could take some time (years) to get where I want to go but I'm here to explore and learn.

We have a productive veg garden that we eat from nearly year-round, are pretty handy with creative recycling and have working knowledge of some farm equipment but chickens is new and I'd appreciate help with the learning curve.

What I'm reading right now: Country Wisdom and Know How (from the editors of Storey
Books); The Small-Scale Poultry Flock (Harvey Ussery).

Breeds I'm considering: Standard OEG (2-3 as a broody flock). Dominique OR Buckeye OR Speckled Sussex (as my working flock).

Thanks,
M

Hello,
I've attached my introductory post from the New Member thread so as to avoid re-typing it :)
I have a couple of questions concerning the Buckeye. It seems to be the general opinion that they are capable of withstanding a variety of climates, however, would they truly be suitable to the hot and humid north Louisiana summers? There is a breeder in north Texas which perhaps indicates they are but I'm unaware of their housing situation....perhaps a misting system is being used. Also, is there a particular strain that is considered more broody than others? I am very much hoping to take the most natural approach possible.

I'm 15 pages in to this thread and am enjoying it very much- Buckeye fans are incredibly enthusiastic!

Thanks,
M

Southernmomma. I live in north eastern Alabama and the Buckeyes do very well in the hot humid weather here. Ensure they have plenty of fresh water and shade. I also raise Buff Orpingtons and they will be panting while the Buckeyes are not. My housing is a coop with attached run and the birds are free-ranged for about 1 - 2 hours nightly, weather and job permitting. Good luck with your new homestead.

I would say that broodies are in every line of buckeyes. I know Jeff Lay has culled it out of his flock for years but they still pop up for him as well. If you want to start with a few hens that tend to go broody, bantams are more prone. I have a few silkies that will hatch 3-4 clutches a year if I let them. And I live in ohio, so that is between march and september. The buckeyes are the best in my opinion for a good dual purpose flock. If you don't care so much about the standard and are only interested in personal use, it will be much cheaper and easier to go with a hatchery. Another option is to have chicks shipped to you from a breeder. Feel free to ask any questions you come across. We are an open and honest bunch.

Greetings :)

My name is Mel and our family currently lives in central Texas. We will be moving in the late summer to take possession of the old family farm in north-central Louisiana - I have joined this forum, after lurking extensively, to make connections with folks that manage their flock as working contributors to their homestead/ small farm (ie: meat and eggs) and breed to support that contribution.

I am specifically wishing to learn about spiral breeding with broody's (and accommodations that can be made for a small flock), creating a foraging environment (the pastures and wooded areas were used for cows 30+years ago and haven't been used since) and slaughtering and processing. I also have questions about how to initially contact a breeder, what questions to ask about their breeding practices, and how to convey my desire for a well built chicken that doesn't have to have perfect coloring.

At this time I plan to use 1 1/3 acre to house and day range less than 20 permanent chickens (with exceptions for growing out offspring and culling of hens/cocks) using rotational paddocks. I intend to focus on a single breed but understand I may need to consider a broody type to get things off the ground....it's my understanding that it could take some time (years) to get where I want to go but I'm here to explore and learn.

We have a productive veg garden that we eat from nearly year-round, are pretty handy with creative recycling and have working knowledge of some farm equipment but chickens is new and I'd appreciate help with the learning curve.

What I'm reading right now: Country Wisdom and Know How (from the editors of Storey
Books); The Small-Scale Poultry Flock (Harvey Ussery).

Breeds I'm considering: Standard OEG (2-3 as a broody flock). Dominique OR Buckeye OR Speckled Sussex (as my working flock).

Thanks,
M

Hello,
I've attached my introductory post from the New Member thread so as to avoid re-typing it :)
I have a couple of questions concerning the Buckeye. It seems to be the general opinion that they are capable of withstanding a variety of climates, however, would they truly be suitable to the hot and humid north Louisiana summers? There is a breeder in north Texas which perhaps indicates they are but I'm unaware of their housing situation....perhaps a misting system is being used. Also, is there a particular strain that is considered more broody than others? I am very much hoping to take the most natural approach possible.

I'm 15 pages in to this thread and am enjoying it very much- Buckeye fans are incredibly enthusiastic!

Thanks,
M

Hello M,
Welcome to chickens. Over the years I've found that the breeds I thought I wanted (based on everyone else's description) weren't always the breeds that tuned out to be my favorites. In fact, the breed that I wanted the most I found quite undesirable once I obtained them, and a breed that I hadn't considered ordering but obtained as a substitution for something that was in short supply turned out to be my favorite -- a rare breed that I no longer just have, but am now actively breeding with a goal to reach the SOP. So you might want to consider trying 5 or more each of your top 3-4 choices and see how they fit in with your vision of what a chicken should be, and with your management style. You've got some great breeds on your list. I have Speckled Sussex and Buckeye for meat and eggs, and Red Dorkings (the breed I'm trying to improve) for meat, eggs, and brooding. They really brood well, are great mothers, and the culls are amazing meat birds. Of my seven hens, four have already gone broody this year, which is even more impressive considering that I live north of Seattle so the days are very short in the winter compared to Louisiana.

Since you mentioned that you want a well-built chicken but don't care that much about color because you want a utility bird instead of a show bird, it is important to realize that the SOP was written to guide breeders to retain the original utility purpose of the bird. Most people think of a "show bird" and first think about the strive to perfect the color, which is unfortunate. Emphasizing color before conformation, size, vigor, and function have ruined the general population of many breeds, to the point that some breeds have almost no birds that even approach the SOP closely, much less meet those standards. So when you search for sources for your birds, don't necessarily shy away from show quality birds because you "don't care about color." True show quality birds are the total package, which you need to maintain a healthy, vigorous flock that can sustain itself for generations without health issues or recessive genes creeping in to create an unpredictable future. So if possible, buy from the best quality breeder you can find, and just tell them that you'd be glad to take their great quality birds that they're culling because of color. That will give you the best possible utility flock, without concern over appearances.

. So you might want to consider trying 5 or more each of your top 3-4 choices and see how they fit in with your vision of what a chicken should be, and with your management style. You've got some great breeds on your list.

Absolutely. I have seen this advice over and over again and believe it's very sound. A 'drive before you buy' mentality :)

So if possible, buy from the best quality breeder you can find, and just tell them that you'd be glad to take their great quality birds that they're culling because of color. That will give you the best possible utility flock, without concern over appearances.

Again, more wonderful advice and something I've mulled over. I can see how a bird truly bred to the SOP would be not only beautiful but a great "performer" if you will - Does it insult breeders to know their birds may end up gracing my dinner table? Does the word "utility" imply that?

Thanks,
M
Also, JoshU and Timbuck- thank you for the info :)

Last edited:
Hello M,
Welcome to chickens.  Over the years I've found that the breeds I thought I wanted (based on everyone else's description) weren't always the breeds that tuned out to be my favorites.  In fact, the breed that I wanted the most I found quite undesirable once I obtained them, and a breed that I hadn't considered ordering but obtained as a substitution for something that was in short supply turned out to be my favorite -- a rare breed that I no longer just have, but am now actively breeding with a goal to reach the SOP.  So you might want to consider trying 5 or more each of your top 3-4 choices and see how they fit in with your vision of what a chicken should be, and with your management style.  You've got some great breeds on your list.  I have Speckled Sussex and Buckeye for meat and eggs, and Red Dorkings (the breed I'm trying to improve) for meat, eggs, and brooding.  They really brood well, are great mothers, and the culls are amazing meat birds.  Of my seven hens, four have already gone broody this year, which is even more impressive considering that I live north of Seattle so the days are very short in the winter compared to Louisiana.

Since you mentioned that you want a well-built chicken but don't care that much about color because you want a utility bird instead of a show bird, it is important to realize that the SOP was written to guide breeders to retain the original utility purpose of the bird.  Most people think of a "show bird" and first think about the strive to perfect the color, which is unfortunate.  Emphasizing color before conformation, size, vigor, and function have ruined the general population of many breeds, to the point that some breeds have almost no birds that even approach the SOP closely, much less meet those standards.  So when you search for sources for your birds, don't necessarily shy away from show quality birds because you "don't care about color."  True show quality birds are the total package, which you need to maintain a healthy, vigorous flock that can sustain itself for generations without health issues or recessive genes creeping in to create an unpredictable future.  So if possible, buy from the best quality breeder you can find, and just tell them that you'd be glad to take their great quality birds that they're culling because of color.  That will give you the best possible utility flock, without concern over appearances.

I agree with most of what you've said except the color piece. All breeders should be breeding for the SOP which gives a clear definition of the body type, purpose and "color". Now, depending on who the breeder is the color ranges in show birds can range from a lighter orangey red to a deep garnet red. In Nettie metcalfs(originator) writings she stated that she wanted a deep garnet color on the birds.

Everyone else has explained what the buckeye will accomplish. I personally love their vigor, personalities and so far the eggs. I'm breeding towards show birds that are dual purpose standard breds.

I can't think of any reason a breeder would be insulted that you ate what they and or yourself created. I have chickens on my farm for many reasons. The number one reason is because I want to eat them. I want to know how my dinner was prepared long before it's life was taken. I also think there is no other bird on the planet as gorgeous as a well bred buckeye. Meat/Eggs/Eyecandy. That is the perfect combination.

Back
Top Bottom