The Buckeye Thread

Pics
So, the time had come for all the randy cockerels to go either to the breeding program or to freezer camp. They lived an excellent short life for 22 weeks, ranging through the pastures, the woods and the barns. They never knew disease, care or worry. We can sit down to dinner with the knowledge that this meal is thanks to responsible, ethical and humane stewardship.The fruits of yesterday's labors:

And folks, lemme tell ya', if you're working solo to process your birds, do yourself a sterling favor, save up all your nickels, dimes and quarters for a year and get you one of these:

You will bless the ever-lovin' stars in heaven above if you get one of these babies, especially when you see it clean a couple of birds in about 20 seconds.......(no lie!)
making me hungry just looking at all those in the freezer. Question for you regarding how you have prepared them for the freezer. with using zip lock bags do you see freezer burn? I know I have used it with other types of meat and have see some. guess I'm old fashion and like to use the paper and wrap it really well.

I've been looking at this,it is pricey,do you notice any bruising on your birds? I havent started that far into chickens but will be doing our own.
Hi Theresa,

Cute chicks in your avatar, is that a Buckeye on the left? Show us some pics! Always like to see photos of people's Buckeyes.

smile.png

The plucker is a Ez-Plucker with 110 fingers, you can get the 150 finger model for like another 150-$200 but from what I've heard, that's wasted money unless you're trying to do turkeys or geese. And yes, it is pricey. Delivered it cost us right around $700. You say "ouch" and I say I got my birds done in half a day working solo with set up, clean up and breakdown included. Everyone at my place has a full time job and the only opportunity we have to process birds is the 48 hours of the weekend- that $700 was an investment. If I were to pay someone to process 25 birds or so, I'd easily pay $100-$125. We've already used it 4 times so it's just about paid for itself if you were to consider it in those terms. Personally, it was worth it to me to pay for it so that we could process our own birds with our own hands instead of farming it out- just more satisfying.

Last edited:
PA, you get the freezer burn if you don't press all the air out of the ziplock bag. Also, be sure to use "freezer" bags. I cheeped out on a box of ziplocks first run and got burned (pun intended). I also hear some folks use the shrink wrap with a little salt water to brine the bird in the fridge while it relaxes before they toss 'em in the deep freeze.

The plucker is a Ez-Plucker with 110 fingers, you can get the 150 finger model for like another 150-$200 but from what I've heard, that's wasted money unless you're trying to do turkeys or geese. And yes, it is pricey. Delivered it cost us right around $700. You say "ouch" and I say I got my birds done in half a day working solo with set up, clean up and breakdown included. Everyone at my place has a full time job and the only opportunity we have to process birds is the 48 hours of the weekend- that $700 was an investment. If I were to pay someone to process 25 birds or so, I'd easily pay $100-$125. We've already used it 4 times so it's just about paid for itself if you were to consider it in those terms. Personally, it was worth it to me to pay for it so that we could process our own birds with our own hands instead of farming it out- just more satisfying.

Good purchase! People forget that their time is worth money.

Walt

My butchering setup... a Whizbang plucker on the left (my husband built it for me from the book), and 007medic is right, a good plucker is SO nice to have. Three burner propane camp stove is sturdy enough to hold the 32-quart turkey frying pot that is my scalding pot, plus a large grannyware waterbath canner for heating extra water. Highway cones suspended upside down between 2x2s, between the deck and the ladder, are my killing cones; with buckets underneath to catch blood. Garbage cans (new, clean) and cooler are for holding carcasses in ice water, first after plucking, then after gutting. There is a canopy set up above the table. It is a cheap one but nice to have for shade, I can put it closer to the deck and tie it to the deck rails if it's quite breezy; and I can safety-pin up sheets on the sides for more shade. This all has to be set up and taken down/put away every butchering time. This photo must have been last year when I raised some CX for a friend and several people came to help -- usually there is only one chair out because I am doing it alone.

What does a 22 week Buckeye dress out to? The guy who processes my birds insists that heritage cockerel are not worth the trouble and says I should keep raising Cornish X.

I'd expect a 22 week Buckeye to be in the ball park of 7lbs. If you are going for the quick, burn out and die, re-order more next year approach than yes go for Cornish White Rock cross.

There are reasons people use something like a Buckeye or Jersey Giant or a Delaware(as I see you have those) for their own meat production. You can breed them, and make your own selections for meat traits. You don't have to pay for the chicks. You get birds that won't fall over dead in 85 degree weather. You get birds that grow at an even pace and won't have health problems before slaughter age. If you have leftover birds, you can keep the pullets for laying hens/breeders.

Everyone will have their preference. Its easy to get a bird purely for slaughter. You find someone who sells them. You buy a few, and in 2 months you are rid of them entirely. But for someone who enjoys the presence of their birds, they aren't much of a fit.

EDIT-and I forgot to add: If you get a good line of birds, vaccinations aren't a thing. Cornish Cross are so far bred into the vaccination scheme they die of just about everything if not maintained.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom