The Buckeye Thread

I got a couple of Buckeyes that I got from My Pet Chicken. Couldn't resist them once I discovered their name. They're 4.5 months old now and one of them seems to have some kind of lacing on her feathers? While she was growing in her feathers had white tips at the end (Kinda like a Speckled Sussex) Is this normal?

View attachment 1634157 View attachment 1634159
Here when she was younger

View attachment 1634160 View attachment 1634164 View attachment 1634161 View attachment 1634163
Her now, you see the lacing?

Her name is Baba Yaga and trust me she deserves her name. She's also a monster, being the biggest chicken with HUGE feet and a huge beak (it really hurts when she pecks you).
Unfortunately, the name my pet chicken tells you a lot. She's definitely pet quality, however she's definitely a buckeye. Her feathers will probably darken a bit more as she matures.

Hello
I just received an order of buckeyes from Cackle Hatchery
10 pullets 5 cockerels and an extra
DSCN1199.JPG
DSCN1201.JPG
This is my biggest Cockerel
DSCN1203.JPG
Here is my buckeyes with leghorns
the bird on the heat pack is the same as earlier
If anyone has had experience with cackle please share
From there Video the birds look decent

Last edited:
Hello
I just received an order of buckeyes from Cackle Hatchery
10 pullets 5 cockerels and an extra View attachment 1709696 View attachment 1709697 This is my biggest Cockerel View attachment 1709699 Here is my buckeyes with leghorns
the bird on the heat pack is the same as earlier
If anyone has had experience with cackle please share
From there Video the birds look decent
I have some Buckeye pullets on order from Cackle that are supposed to arrive next week!
They are supposed to be originally sourced from Lay breeding line, but not sure how long ago. I ordered from Cackle last year, some White Rock cockerels to try for fryers and three Wheaten Marans. They sent an extra of each. The Marans were very nice birds, the sizes were very different, one was nice and large, one small, one medium, the extra got out of the fence and was killed by my dogs. :( I really liked them, nice birds, but had to reduce the feed bill and the birds that didn't fit my original plan of dual purpose birds got rehomed first. After my experiences with the Marans I'm expecting a variable size/weight difference with the Buckeye pullets. My plan is to keep the biggest ones for crossing into my current flock, and rehome the rest. If I like them well enough, I'll put money aside for some proper Buckeyes from a reputable breeder.

I have ordered from cackle a few times before and they have very nice birds.
DSCN1207.JPG
This Delaware Is almost 4 From Cackle
DSCN1225.JPG
DSCN1223.JPG
DSCN1228.JPG
Most of My pullets are like This One
DSCN1230.JPG
DSCN1235.JPG
Three are Like these with the chipmunk Pattern. There Wing Feathers Are a Lighter Red.
All The Cockerels Look Like The First Hen But with White Heads.
If anyone Can tell Me something about how my chicks look please do.

I have some Buckeye pullets on order from Cackle that are supposed to arrive next week!
They are supposed to be originally sourced from Lay breeding line, but not sure how long ago. I ordered from Cackle last year, some White Rock cockerels to try for fryers and three Wheaten Marans. They sent an extra of each. The Marans were very nice birds, the sizes were very different, one was nice and large, one small, one medium, the extra got out of the fence and was killed by my dogs. :( I really liked them, nice birds, but had to reduce the feed bill and the birds that didn't fit my original plan of dual purpose birds got rehomed first. After my experiences with the Marans I'm expecting a variable size/weight difference with the Buckeye pullets. My plan is to keep the biggest ones for crossing into my current flock, and rehome the rest. If I like them well enough, I'll put money aside for some proper Buckeyes from a reputable breeder.
I was planning to start with these buckeyes then add breeder buckeyes and try to work on them from there. From Cackles Video they looked really good for hatchery buckeyes and I was working with a budget to get chicks and could not pass up on buckeyes for all their amazing qualities that put them above.

My one Buckeye from Meyer Hatchery. She's a nice chicken, none of mine are lap pets. She's a terrific forager on free range, not on top or on bottom of the pecking order. I just wanted a variety of chickens and picked a Buckeye for their hardiness. Wind is blowing her feathers in this picture, they don't stick out like that! She had those speckles as a youngster too, this picture she's about 9 months. Her name is Becky Buckeye.
P1250948.JPG

I was planning to start with these buckeyes then add breeder buckeyes and try to work on them from there. From Cackles Video they looked really good for hatchery buckeyes and I was working with a budget to get chicks and could not pass up on buckeyes for all their amazing qualities that put them above.
Exactly! I've tried asking on some poultry fb groups for opinions on Buckeyes from different hatcheries and all I got were suggestions and opinions for other dual purpose birds, like Delawares.. If I were looking for other breeds I wouldn't be asking specifically about Buckeyes! There's a reason I want to try them out!!!! Some people just don't get it....

Let us see pictures when you get them! Curious how well they do in the heat of AZ, I've read they don't do well in the heat, but maybe that's humid-heat back east. That's why my order last summer I ordered 1 each of different breeds to see what I liked & didn't like about each one. I do like the Buckeye, but she hasn't gone through our hot summers yet. We get close to 100 in the summer and close to 0 in the winter, but summer is very short here and we have lots of trees & shade & cool temps at night. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom