The Buckeye Thread

That makes me feel better. I’m guessing they are just stretching and building their strength, at this age.

I may put a broom handle in the crate for them to play on and get them ready for coop perches.

Thanks!

That makes me feel better. I’m guessing they are just stretching and building their strength, at this age.

I may put a broom handle in the crate for them to play on and get them ready for coop perches.

Thanks!
Oh, put a lot of that in there, they will love it and use them, I kept adding perches at higher heights and widths as they grew, and they used them a lot! Took away the low ones when they stopped using them. Also make sure they have landing room to jump/fly off of them and not land on anything (or hit the far wall) Good exercise for both their legs and wings, and fun for them, and you!

My 3 year old Buckeye hen, Becky, grew spurs this summer. She is still laying and we also have a rooster and she's not a dominant hen, although not at the bottom of the order either. I know this can happen, are some breeds more prone to it than others? Flock of 7 hens and one rooster.
P1330587.JPG

We have contact!
My little bits are 3-1/2 weeks old. Today, when group 1 ran to the crate door for dinner, I skritched the friendliest one’s chest, pushing it back a little as I did. When I stopped, s/he ran back to the front of the crate and stood on tippy-toes so I could give more chest skritches. So funny little bird.
Note: this is remarkable for me because my guys are farm chickens, not pets. But if we can be friendly, it will make life easier, all ‘round.

My 3 year old Buckeye hen, Becky, grew spurs this summer. She is still laying and we also have a rooster and she's not a dominant hen, although not at the bottom of the order either. I know this can happen, are some breeds more prone to it than others? Flock of 7 hens and one rooster.View attachment 2822537
Spurs are not unusual. Some of mine have spurs of varying size. Are yours really big? Rivaling a roosters'?

Spurs are not unusual. Some of mine have spurs of varying size. Are yours really big? Rivaling a roosters'?

No not really that big. The photo was taken a couple of months after they started growing. A little bigger than that now. Also I'm pretty sure she's not laying now. No signs of rooster mounting her and haven't seen her on the nest in a while.

223D4596-B650-46DD-89AF-0CAEDF08D8A4.jpeg
77D018E8-C2A5-4D96-962F-89FE2AE97477.jpeg
Sweet Billi Jo. She is my most gentle chicken. I had my coop built several years ago and finally got chicks this year, hatched May 4. I wound up with three Buckeye, six black that are most likely Australorps but could be Black Java (I can’t figure out how to distinguish them yet), one Coronation Sussex, and one Blue Orpington pullets and a Blue Orpington cockerel.
I’m posting because, of the over past three weeks she has been laying, I don’t think she has missed a day. Is it common for Buckeye pullets to lay that much? So far I believe only this Buckeye and three of the black pullets are laying. I’m getting a little over a dozen eggs a week. What is common egg production for pullets going into winter?

Last edited:
Pullets will generally lay a bit longer into fall than a hen. For those that aren’t yet laying, they may not until spring. As for Buckeyes, they usually are not heavy layers. However, certain lines have been developed to increase “layability” if you will. You might want to inquire regarding the line(s) they came from.

Buckeyes are generally a docile bird and are enjoyable. Best wishes for your future with all your birds.

Pullets will generally lay a bit longer into fall than a hen. For those that aren’t yet laying, they may not until spring. As for Buckeyes, they usually are not heavy layers. However, certain lines have been developed to increase “layability” if you will. You might want to inquire regarding the line(s) they came from.

Buckeyes are generally a docile bird and are enjoyable. Best wishes for your future with all your birds.
I have four 16-month old Buckeyes from unknown hatchery stock. They are dears in personality, smarts and friendliness. Mine vary greatly in their physical build and in their laying frequency. I agree with @goodb from what I've read too the lines have been tinkered with for both greater meat and more eggs, which I'm not crazy about as it affects their longevity. I think I would prefer in future ones that have been kept more to their heritage qualities. Unfortunately that is not the trend in breeding these days.

Back
Top Bottom