The Buckeye Thread

Pics
Color is a very subjective thing, and computer monitors and their variables make it even more so when comparing things online. I just spent some time searching through Google images for examples of "mahogany bay" (the most applicable examples to be seem to be horses) and "garnet", which was used by NM herself to describe the color she was looking for.

Even garnets vary in color. Just Google "Garnet Gem" and click on the Images tab to see what I mean. So your idea of the right color of garnet and mine might be different. Same with "mahogany bay."

And honestly, even though we have things that NM wrote, it doesn't mean we can see with her eyes, nor conjure her up with a Ouiji board to be 100% sure what she meant. So we have to breed to the color we think most closely interprets the current Standard (or so I do), and attempt to reach uniformity in our flocks and pens. That's my goal, anyway.

Congrats to the winners of recent shows. Sorry have not been on here recently, have been very busy with life,work and building a new dance studio for my daughters dance company that she attends.

I spoke to a few that attended the recent show in Indiana and heard that the judges who were judging the LF class was not really handling the birds like they do at other shows, but when it came to OEGB that changed and were handling them even more. I find that interesting as by looking at a bird in a cage you cannot get the whole picture unless you handle them.

As for the shadow pictures that were posted in ealier posts. I compared them and also to the colored version of the winning photo and I can say from my trained and tested eyes and yes my eyes are tested to standards that most would not understand nor have any understanding on. Anyways, I find that the detail of the shadow pic of the winning bird to show more detail of the line of the bird more so than the version. Yes, it was a smaller pic but the lines are more relevant than the color and what blueface spoke about regarding the neck does show up more. Not trying to put anyones birds down, just giving my comments on what I see. Pictures are a great tool and they do help the less informed, but handling them is the only way to really get a full understanding of each bird. The lines you see of the way the feathers lay is not going to be the same as what the actual skin line (aka frame) is going to be. But it is a good indicator for first impression and that alone.

As for the color of undertone I don't think a poultry judge who tends to be a Bantie guy has enough time nor the experience to be even commenting on a breed of LF. I don't know him and this is just my opinion. He very well may be a good judge for other breeds but my guess is that he spcializes in Banties more than LF.

How's everyones readiness coming for winter. We had snow falling here today!!!!! Did not stick on the ground but up north of me they got 7 inches!!!! Gotta get more tarps on the pen area to help with wind and start looking at winter water holders.

What does everyone else use for water holders? Just trying to find the right thing so water won't freeze so quickly. I hate when it does that.

How's everyones readiness coming for winter. We had snow falling here today!!!!! Did not stick on the ground but up north of me they got 7 inches!!!! Gotta get more tarps on the pen area to help with wind and start looking at winter water holders.

What does everyone else use for water holders? Just trying to find the right thing so water won't freeze so quickly. I hate when it does that.
I use heated dog bowls in the winter. They work great, but then you need access to power.

Congrats to the winners of recent  shows.          Sorry have not been on here recently, have been very busy with life,work and  building a new dance studio for my daughters dance company that she attends.

I spoke to a few that attended the recent show in Indiana and heard that the judges who were judging the LF class was not really handling the birds like they do at other shows, but when it came to OEGB that changed and were handling them even more. I find that interesting as by looking at a bird in a cage you cannot get the whole picture unless you handle them.

As for the shadow pictures that were posted in ealier posts. I compared them and also to the colored version of the winning photo and I can say from my trained and tested eyes and yes my eyes are tested to standards that most would not understand nor have any understanding on. Anyways, I find that the detail of the shadow pic of the  winning bird  to show  more detail of the line of the bird more so than the version. Yes, it was a smaller pic but the lines are more relevant than the color and what blueface spoke about regarding the neck does show up more. Not trying to put anyones birds down, just giving my comments on what I see.     Pictures are a great tool and they do help the less informed, but handling them is the only way to really get a full understanding of each bird.  The lines you see of the way the feathers lay is not going to be the same as what the actual skin line (aka frame) is going to be.  But it is a good indicator for first impression and that alone.

As for the color of undertone I don't think a poultry judge who tends to be a Bantie guy has enough time nor the experience to be even commenting on a breed of LF. I don't know him and this is just my opinion.   He very well may be a good judge for other breeds but my guess is that he spcializes in Banties more than LF.

Dave how long have you had chickens? How many shows have you had birds entered in? And you do know that that judge travels all over the country judging at different shows don't you? Just because some don't like his comment doesn't make it wrong or uninformed in fact it follows exactly what the standard states. A judge that follows the standard seems like something that you would want....

Dave how long have you had chickens? How many shows have you had birds entered in? And you do know that that judge travels all over the country judging at different shows don't you? Just because some don't like his comment doesn't make it wrong or uninformed in fact it follows exactly what the standard states. A judge that follows the standard seems like something that you would want....

Amen!! The Standard is the Rule! Who cares about an individual Breeder or Judge's opinion if it varies!

I bred dogs for several years and I would never breed away from standard to please a certain judge or group. You breed according to the standard and there will be judges that reward it!

Dan

Back
Top Bottom