The Buckeye Thread

Pics
Newbie question. I have an 8 month old RIR cockerel in with 7 6 month old RIR cockerels, and I have 2 6 month old Buckeye cockerels in another grow-out area. Can I combine them or are they too old to add the 2 with them?

Newbie question. I have an 8 month old RIR cockerel in with 7 6 month old RIR cockerels, and I have 2 6 month old Buckeye cockerels in another grow-out area. Can I combine them or are they too old to add the 2 with them?
You might be able to so do, if you do it in stages.

Put the pens/tractors with the two groups right next to each other, so they can see each other but not reach each other. Leave them that way for several weeks, at least.

Then, when you put them together, be sure to give them a big pen so they can run away from each other.

Generally though, if you put such groups together there will be fighting. And you could lose a valuable bird (had that happen.) Especially given that they're two different breeds, I don't think I would do it. But you can try.

Quote:

I had to fence the cockerels apart to stop the fighting, even had to send seven of the worst offenders to the freezer, Cock fighting is illegal on my farm (death penalty)
old.gif

I had to fence the cockerels apart to stop the fighting, even had to send seven of the worst offenders to the freezer, Cock fighting is illegal on my farm (death penalty)  :old
I guess I will keep them separate. I was just trying to cut down on feeding and watering from 5 to 4 coops. They are only in the coops at night with large runs during the day. I would certainly hate to lose one if them.

I guess I will keep them separate. I was just trying to cut down on feeding and watering from 5 to 4 coops. They are only in the coops at night with large runs during the day. I would certainly hate to lose one if them.
I know, doing chores on lots of pens when you can't use hoses to move the water is a pain. Had to disconnect all the hoses this morning due to a hard frost. Back to hauling water for everyone! Some days we haul as much as 20-50 gallons, between the horses, goats, and chickens.

Last edited:
WATER:

I had electric and I think it caused my fire - so no more electric to the coops or barns except if we get a cold snap of NEGATIVE 20 or below. (I'm in Vermont)

But this works for me .... I use BLACK 5 gal buckets and the black soaks up any sun the day offers and therefore takes a little longer to freeze. I bring in the frozen bucket to thaw a little and put a new one out - so I have 4 black buckets I use over the winter.

Dave how long have you had chickens? How many shows have you had birds entered in? And you do know that that judge travels all over the country judging at different shows don't you? Just because some don't like his comment doesn't make it wrong or uninformed in fact it follows exactly what the standard states. A judge that follows the standard seems like something that you would want....
Well, first off I don't show birds and never will, that was not the reason I got into poultry and as for how long I have had chickens does not matter. I have never liked shows for many reasons. I gave my opinion based on a comment that was about a judes view. Yes, I know that they travel all over the country to judge at shows and that they shall do that in accordance with the SoP. So why would you even question me on the questions you asked? You don't know me and I don't know you. I don't want to get in a P*ssing match and I know that the Mods don't what it either so if you don't agree with my comments and I can tell based on you response then don't question me or respond. I know enough regarding what happens at shows and how the process goes to say what I want and have my opinion. My response was not to attack any member here,but to respond based on topics that were being discussed. Each of us will have our opinions as history has shown.

Matter of fact I have no affiliation with any Buckeye group and I'm just a person whohappens to raises them. Yes at one time I was a participant in the ABC but recently I have left the group and now I'm on my own. So you cannot label me as one of the others as some on here do. This political BS between groups needs to stop. Don't bring it here as the admins have already had enough problem. I am not trying to stir the pot and start any type of battle. I am sick and tired of the BS between groups, I am sick and tired back when I was in the group that everything that was said was relayed back to a certain person for which caused even more drama. Again I am done with that and please move on and let's all just talk chickens in a nice manner and put this group battle away.

I support the SoP as the document that needs to be followed if you are into showing. If you are not and just a back yard person who wants to raise chickens then you don't have to follow it unless you are trying to breed and sell. Not saying that I don't look at it against my birds and/or have conversations regarding it.

Hmmm, a guy who has had chickens about a year, has never shown and never will, commenting on the actions of a Judge he's never met based on remarks made by people who were not at the show in time to watch him judge the breed in question?

Seems legit.

How's everyones readiness coming for winter. We had snow falling here today!!!!! Did not stick on the ground but up north of me they got 7 inches!!!! Gotta get more tarps on the pen area to help with wind and start looking at winter water holders.

What does everyone else use for water holders? Just trying to find the right thing so water won't freeze so quickly. I hate when it does that.
This is central Oklahoma, where we don't get weeks and weeks of bad winter weather, so when it's below freezing, I use small flat rubber pans. Easy to flip, stomp and knock the ice out of, and refill two or three times a day with lukewarm water so all the birds (and goats) can get a drink. For the horses, I just bust a hole in the ice at the pond.

Back
Top Bottom