The Buckeye Thread

Pics
This is central Oklahoma, where we don't get weeks and weeks of bad winter weather, so when it's below freezing, I use small flat rubber pans. Easy to flip, stomp and knock the ice out of, and refill two or three times a day with lukewarm water so all the birds (and goats) can get a drink. For the horses, I just bust a hole in the ice at the pond.
We use those too, Fortex brand. Have them in all sorts of sizes, they last forever and are so simple to pop ice out of.

In fact the 4 quart size is on sale right now on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Fortex-Feeder...TF8&qid=1382719153&sr=8-1&keywords=fortex+pan

Last edited:
Why does it seem that there are some that don't post in here but other than to stir the pot?!?!?!?!? I find it very rude and feel that it is trolling a bit. Maybe a refreasher of the rules is in hand... But again I'm not a Mod so I will leave that for them to do as that is their duties.

But with that, Can't wait till next spring to start adding to my flock. Might try breeding my best male and female as well as add a couple more breeds for egg laying. Have a few hens of other breeds that are starting to slow down a bit over the summer and have not laid any eggs still. Still deciding on which breeds to go with but I have a few good ideas, plus the wife and kiddos want to add some darn silkies for their pleasure...
he.gif
LOL, not a silkie guy,but just may do it for them...

Anyone ever use any nifty old incubators to hatch your Buckeyes? Here's a photo of one I've always had good luck with, a Brower 100 egg metal incubator, from a hatch a few years ago.

I will probably go with this approach as well as try the heated dog bowls during really bad periods.
I set my bucket on a house brick 8"x 16" and put a 25-60 watt light bulb in a drop light and place it in one of brick holes to keep my water from freezing, it keeps the bucket 8" off the ground, and I cover my cord with the sand in my run. Out in my yard I have the bottom of a 55 gal barrel cut down to about 4-5 inches and I just dump it and refill.

PA Farmer - I totally agree - while I DO like to see differing takes on an issue - there are a handful that ONLY post when they think they are correcting someone.

It is distasteful. They must be too cowardly to just post and share in fear someone will do the same to them.

And frankly - this is the only thread I have seen it on - I follow and am active on 4 threads (not a lot I know) but this is the only one where snark really comes out. I don't know why they aren't tossed, as the bulk of people active here are not nasty - but the few have shut the thread down at least twice in my short stay ... and it is the same ones. So I hope the mods take that into consideration if the snark flies again.

Meanwhile ..... I found a mouse in my cracker bin (chicken treats) I screached in my surprise and popped the lid on - which I had rush off earlier and left off to deal with it when I am mentally prepared. I am not really a screacher - it is just I was started. I deal with mice, snakes and such - when I am forewarned. And I like snakes on the property - I encourage them and don't disturb them but that one got my heart going. I want a big bad Buckeye to come hunt mice with me.

Matella I am the same way when startled lol. We have a 6' pet snake that I have no problems handling, but if I come upon a little snake in the yard I always jump a mile!

Matella I am the same way when startled lol. We have a 6' pet snake that I have no problems handling, but if I come upon a little snake in the yard I always jump a mile!

Unfortunately I have to catch and remove all snakes; the little ones for their own safety, the big ones because they tend to eat eggs. Still haven't caught the copperhead that lives under the house, and now that it's so cold, I expect I won't see it again until Spring. (Unless the pipes freeze; then I imagine someone will crawl across him snuggled down in the vicinity of the wood stove...great reason to keep the faucets dripping, no?)

Copperheads are so pretty - but I do chase off venomous ones ... I had a dog that had NO reaction to a copperhead bite AND later that same year a rattler bit !

That dog was a bumbling fool - but lucky !

the two dogs I have now are smarter. :)

Yeah, it is a little embarrassing as I get right in there with bugs, poop and all such - and when I am not startled - I can handle them all - but leaning down in the morning dark ... and seeing something DASH around the food bin - had my girlie come out !! ha ha

Is it possible for Buckeye eggs to be white?

I recently got my first Buckeyes. I bought a trio from a very reputable breeder. (We will be breeding them for dual purpose use on the farm and also for the kids to show in 4-H and maybe at some local shows.) I was told that the adult hen was going into molt, so I'm not really expecting eggs from her. The few eggs I have gotten are probably from the pullet which is 26 weeks old. The first one was medium sized and had a good shell, but was white, and it was laid about 3 days after I got them home. (Maybe this one was from the hen?) I have had them for 19 days now. In that time I have found 3 or 4 that have been just a paper thin white shell, or evidence of a yolk with no shell. I feed Purina Flockraiser and offer plenty of oyster shell on the side. The Buckeyes are in a separate coop/run right now, but all of my other pullets (various breeds from a spring hatchery order) that are about the same age are laying well with normal shells. I am just wondering if the white color means there is something is wrong? Also, how long could it take for her reproductive system to "work out the kinks" and begin to lay more regularly with better shells?

This is a pic of the one I found this morning.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

Back
Top Bottom