The Buckeye Thread

Pics
Yes, these eggs could be from the older hen that is molting.
Or, they could be from the birds you recently purchased. Travel of any real sort (five hours is a lot for a chicken) is going to throw a female off her game, possibly disrupting or delaying laying for as much as a week. Each bird is different, some lay in the travel crate and continue with no problems, some stop for a week or more.
Just personal exp, but I bought 4 1.5yr old laying hens this Spring, and they were SO unhappy about being away from their old flock that they went on strike for a MONTH! was worried I'd just bought expensive stewing hens... :) And when they got it together again, had all sorts of interesting 'output' until they got it together... (Not Buckeyes, just mutts)

Dave, I am going to politely disagree with you on this.

Therapeutic treatments (which electrolytes are not, really) should not be diluted by offering plain water, that reduces the dosage the bird gets, and therefore reduces their effectiveness. Things like de-wormers and antibiotics, given in water, should always be offered without access to other water, to ensure the birds all get an adequate dose to deal with the issue at hand.

Electrolytes are not what I would term a treatment for an existing condition, they are rather more a preventative thing, like a vitamin. I don't have any packages of antibiotics at hand right now (upstairs in my office) but I would venture to guess the package for most will say something like "make this the only water available for X number of days."

And ACV, being used as a treatment in this instance, IMO should not be diluted. It won't harm the other birds, and if the affected birds don't get an adequate amount, it won't be effective.

CEDavid, yes, Buckeye eggs should be brown. Shellless eggs however will not have pigment.

Have you had any birds showing any signs of illness of late? As BuffaloGal says, there are several poultry illnesses which can cause problems with eggs, which might include a loss of pigmentation.
I just found a packet of Sav-A Chick Probiotic And it gave you the direction for mixing and the Last statement on the packet was and plain Drinking water in a separate container Other than Make fresh Daily.

Were the only Buckeyes showing at the Minnesota State Poultry Show in Hutchinson, MN this weekend, so of course, I got Best of Breed and Reserve of breed. There were 2822 birds showing. The big winner was a White Rock from Jeff Halbach. Many very nice birds and many breeders who have been at this for decades.
Unfortunately, my birds were young, pullet not quite at POL and the cockerel only 6 or 7 months. Still, I think they both were worth showing for the sake of showing others what wonderful birds this breed truly is. Both of these birds have undercolor that leaves no doubt that they are following in Nettie's vision. That nice dark undercolor, no doubt is part of what brings out his deep mahogany surface color as well. The pullet is a bit lighter than I would like to see. In fact, Art Reiber was the judge for the American class and said she had light color on the surface, but had great undercolor. "You just gotta have that nice dark undercolor on a Buckeye". Otherwise, they are young and the cockerel's feathers could be in better condition. Both of these will be staying around to see many days here at Prairie Chick Poultry. I have no worries on the color of this pullet since I have a fair few nice, dark boys to put her in with to fix it.
These birds are from my own flock. All of my breeding birds are strictly originating from the Urch Line of Buckeyes.

Were the only Buckeyes showing at the Minnesota State Poultry Show in Hutchinson, MN this weekend, so of course, I got Best of Breed and Reserve of breed. There were 2822 birds showing. The big winner was a White Rock from Jeff Halbach. Many very nice birds and many breeders who have been at this for decades. Unfortunately, my birds were young, pullet not quite at POL and the cockerel only 6 or 7 months. Still, I think they both were worth showing for the sake of showing others what wonderful birds this breed truly is. Both of these birds have undercolor that leaves no doubt that they are following in Nettie's vision. That nice dark undercolor, no doubt is part of what brings out his deep mahogany surface color as well. The pullet is a bit lighter than I would like to see. In fact, Art Reiber was the judge for the American class and said she had light color on the surface, but had great undercolor. "You just gotta have that nice dark undercolor on a Buckeye". Otherwise, they are young and the cockerel's feathers could be in better condition. Both of these will be staying around to see many days here at Prairie Chick Poultry. I have no worries on the color of this pullet since I have a fair few nice, dark boys to put her in with to fix it. These birds are from my own flock. All of my breeding birds are strictly originating from the Urch Line of Buckeyes.
Congratulations!! A win for a buckeye no matter how many is outstanding. Your roo has deep mahogany color consistency, correct tail set and large Cornish type head. Combs a little large but I still like him and he's a keeper for the brood pen. Hen has a wonderful tail set, good length of back and I agree a little light but not bad. Cross her with that boy and you will be winning many more. These are how they should look in a pen or in your field. Love it!!! Great job can't wait to see more from you!!

Congratulations!! A win for a buckeye no matter how many is outstanding.

Your roo has deep mahogany color consistency, correct tail set and large Cornish type head. Combs a little large but I still like him and he's a keeper for the brood pen.

Hen has a wonderful tail set, good length of
back and I agree a little light but not bad. Cross her with that boy and you will be winning many more.

These are how they should look in a pen or in your field. Love it!!! Great job can't wait to see more from you!!
Thanks, slfarms.

Were the only Buckeyes showing at the Minnesota State Poultry Show in Hutchinson, MN this weekend, so of course, I got Best of Breed and Reserve of breed. There were 2822 birds showing. The big winner was a White Rock from Jeff Halbach. Many very nice birds and many breeders who have been at this for decades. Unfortunately, my birds were young, pullet not quite at POL and the cockerel only 6 or 7 months. Still, I think they both were worth showing for the sake of showing others what wonderful birds this breed truly is. Both of these birds have undercolor that leaves no doubt that they are following in Nettie's vision. That nice dark undercolor, no doubt is part of what brings out his deep mahogany surface color as well. The pullet is a bit lighter than I would like to see. In fact, Art Reiber was the judge for the American class and said she had light color on the surface, but had great undercolor. "You just gotta have that nice dark undercolor on a Buckeye". Otherwise, they are young and the cockerel's feathers could be in better condition. Both of these will be staying around to see many days here at Prairie Chick Poultry. I have no worries on the color of this pullet since I have a fair few nice, dark boys to put her in with to fix it. These birds are from my own flock. All of my breeding birds are strictly originating from the Urch Line of Buckeyes.
Congrats!! On your buckeyes taking home a win! It's also nice to see someone who celebrates modestly about a win when going up against very little competition. Your birds are beautiful. Keep those Dark Red Birds in the public eye. Can't wait to see what they look like in a few months.

Last edited:
This is Sav-A-Chick and I am sure each medication has is own instructions for use that is why we all need to read the directions for use
Thank your for posting this pic. Very good observation. I too have noticed this on my supplements when I read the directions. It's good for people to do their own homework. Rather than taking ONLY the advice of an Internet expert. We should all do our own research and think for ourselves. I think PA Farmer may be owed an apology.

Thank your for posting this pic. Very good observation. I too have noticed this on my supplements when I read the directions. It's good for people to do their own homework. Rather than taking ONLY the advice of an Internet expert. We should all do our own research and think for ourselves. I think PA Farmer may be owed an apology.

To each their own but if I want to give my chickens supplement in their water I think I will control what they drink and for how long. If someone else wants to do it different then that is what I would do if I were you.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom