The Buckeye Thread

[quote name="cgmccary" url="/t/803253/the-buckeye-thread/1170#post_

I called him and said,  ". . my turkey hen has a nest in your yard, can I come up and show you where she's sittin?" He said "of course" and he let her stay and hatch her brood.
[/quote]

lol my mom calls me every other day asking do you know where your turkeys are? Um...no well they finish off their feed here and head to her house to eat again. And I thought buckeyes were pigs.

We received a dusting and the bucks and other birds are acting like they've never seen snow before. Lol

We didn't even have enough to completely cover the ground yesterday and the birds wouldn't go out on it until afternoon. Those featherbrains always crack me up when it snows!

I have people who come buy the Silkie culls and they eat them. I have asked them what is there to eat, and one said, "They are very brothy." LOL Well, if you add water and boil it with a chicken in it, they are all brothy, aren't they? But hey, if they want to go through all that plucking for some broth and a couple bites of meat, all the power to them.

Check out: http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-deal-with-black-chic-80171 You should be charging top dollar for them.

We got a dusting. The hatchery pullets were out in the snow this morning, but the buckeyes and the rest of the older flock didn't come out until we showed our faces at the coop. But then they didn't seem to notice the snow really. I have noticed the past 2 days they've been staying inside until we show up. The first time it happened we both had horrible visions of the electric fence and the automatic pop door both failing and a raccoon getting in and killing all of them! Nope, turns out my goofy birds just didn't want to come out, I guess because it was cold and windy.

My Buckeye rooster is the quitest room I have had. he also does not crow often. We only have an acre and have not jade any complaints from neighbors. He is also not aggressive at all with people. I just got rid of a nasty, loud and constantly crowing Welsummer. Never been so glad to see a chicken leaving our property. Little brat came at me with spurs twice while I was trying to crate him. Finally backed him into a cardboard box and taped it up!

Check out: http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-deal-with-black-chic-80171 You should be charging top dollar for them.
You would think, but most of the people who call me for them are too cheap, plus they are almost all younger birds that don't have anything on them anyway and I am happy to get the space back they were taking up. My bantam Wyandottes have more meat on them, but they probably would pay more for the Silkies to eat. It takes all kinds to make this world go 'round.

Back
Top Bottom