The Buckeye Thread

I have limited stock to start with. A trio that will be 2 in spring and a dozen that are about 16 weeks old now. The young set are half pullets, half cockerels. I will need to thin them out soon since I am limited legally and practically in the number of birds I can keep.

I understand I am shooting for SOP, but I hear people say that the rooster contributes more of one characteristic or another. Or that the hen is more responsible for certain traits.

This is helpful. With this people should be able to figure out where 40 or 30 degrees is. Walt
Back to purebred buckeyes, here is an image of a 45 degree male tail. Before anyone jumps me, the standard calls for a 40 degree tail. I couldn't find one that shows that angle with a tail similar to the male buckeye. So if you have something similar but not quite this angle, you are correct in the angle. And to also be clear, the female tail should be 30 degrees. This image is only representing the male tail. Also try to keep the tail as wide as possible to avoid the pinched look that many today exhibit. The best way to describe it is rounded across the top like an upside down U and not shaped like an upside down V when looking from the rear.
Thanks Walt. I am wondering if we should measure the main tail or the sickles to get an accurate reading for the standard. In this diagram the measurement is of the main tail at 45 degrees.

Exactly. The answer to all these questions are in the SOP. It explains heart girth, shows side by side comparisons of a good body vs. a bad body (with feathers stripped), explains the points deducted for departures from weight, how many points for each thing, etc. There is a written definition of a pea comb, there is a picture of a Brahma pea comb. A lot of folks want to add their own take to the definition of the comb however, it is all there in print. I go by what is in the SOP literally -- I do a literal reading & interpretation. For what is the difference between a small, medium or large, for example, then I compare it relative to the different breeds and their sizes (this part would be subjective). It is why I say unless the comb is grossly large or grossly small in comparison to the head . . . .

No two birds are going to be identical in every aspect . . . there is no perfect bird . . . .

Using ALL of the SOP including those first 40 pages, I have in my mind what I think my breed should look and feel like. I keep those individuals who best meet those traits in my mind's eye . . . weigh them, compare them with each other; that is about as simply as I can explain it.

Thanks Walt. I am wondering if we should measure the main tail or the sickles to get an accurate reading for the standard. In this diagram the measurement is of the main tail at 45 degrees.
judges use the Sickles

w

judges use the Sickles

w

I found that diagram on google. It is the same thing that is in the 1915 SOP, in the first 40 pages. I had always thought that the sickles were used as well. That is why I wanted a clarification. The diagram is measuring the main tail feathers. I didn't know that the APA had changed their procedures for measuring angles between the 1915 version and the 2010. But in the newer version, the measurement is outside the sickles instead of the main tail. Thanks for the clarification.

You are welcome, Arielle. I am just trying to help people to understand what exactly the SOP means and to be able to put that to use in their own coops.

Last edited:
judges use the Sickles

w
Going off the sickles would mean that you could have a longer back then which could be a fault on type correct? If using the pic that JoshU posted the starting point for zero degree to get a 40 degree or 30 degrees then the back would have to be longer that what may be expected for the line to be set correctly on thesickles based on what I am understanding. Or do you just move the starting line/point and then determine 40 or 30 degree?

Last edited:
The SOP diagram and description say the angle is from horizontal. Which means the back length has nothing to do with it. Take a pic of one of your birds and I will paste a compass on your pic to show you the angle. The bottom of the compass is level to the ground, not the birds back or anything else.

Back
Top Bottom