The Buckeye Thread

Sarah, if you can get ahold of her tail an lift up and the grab her legs from under her, you can hold her legged up so her chest is on the ground. Then you can do what you like with the chicks. From experience, she is gonna go broody all over again unless you let her raise those chicks for a while. Just my opinion on how I do it. Otherwise, just leave her alone. Lol

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, if anyone else has a mixed flock of different breeds, do they find that their Buckeyes are always at the bottom of the pecking order? I am also finding that my buckeyes seem to have more skin irritation than my other breeds (I think the dark plumage could possibly be attracting more pests - especially here in Florida), and that laying eggs seems more difficult for my buckeyes than my other breeds. Just some observations I'm making as a first time chicken mom. Of course, they are still lovely, polite, mild-mannered, curious, gentle, and AMAZING insectivores. When free ranging, they have a knack for immediately finding the place in the yard with the most insects, while the other breeds seem more-or-less oblivious.

Skeeter, I have a mixed flock of Buckeyes and Buff Orpingtons. I have not seen any "breed" discrimination even though the Buckeyes are about 1# lighter. I do have trio of hens that tend to migrate away from the main flock, 2 Bucks and an Orp. My Buckeye roo must be color blind as his favorite 2 hens are Orps. As for the pests, I would ask if you regularly clean and disinfect the coop and liberally use DE. I have had no pests or skin irritations on either breed (knock on wood).

Ok guys does anyone have a coat of arms I can borrow? The mutt chicks I mentioned have hatched under the broody turkey and she's acting like she's going to take my face off.

Sigh time to brave the dragon turkey lol

Nice pics Blueface. Love the color consistency on the biddies.

A metal trash can lid works well as a shield. Has a handle in the middle and everything.

Sarah, if you can get ahold of her tail an lift up and the grab her legs from under her, you can hold her legged up so her chest is on the ground. Then you can do what you like with the chicks. From experience, she is gonna go broody all over again unless you let her raise those chicks for a while. Just my opinion on how I do it. Otherwise, just leave her alone. Lol

I got in and out but man was she evil! I put a large metal dog bowl in front of her head. One little chick so I brought that one in but left all the eggs. At this point I'm closing the coop she's in and putting food and water in. I'll let her do her thing.

She laid one of her own eggs which isn't fertile(no male) so that's what tipped her to broody state.

Thanks all! :)

You need a hockey mask and welder's gloves, it sounds like, Sarah. I have a nasty crossbreed hen who is vicious when she is broody, will come after me after I take her off the nest and collect eggs.

On the other conversation about the pecking and breed discrimination....
There is the old saying, "birds of a feather flock together". It likely comes from the fact that birds of a same breed or species do flock to one another. The same goes for chickens and flocking together by breed or variety. I have seen it happen in my flock a few times, and cracks me up. For instance, last fall I had a mixed flock of chickens in the pasture group once I started pulling my breeders into their pens. One night I went out and all of the Black Minorcas were in one run together while all the other birds were off in a coop together. The other breed I had that did this was Golden Pencilled Hamburgs who were always off together on their own away from the rest of the flock. However, for the most part, my breeds will intermingle and I have no problems with discrimination.
I will say, I have heard more stories of hens who bullied that were hatchery Silver Laced Wyandottes. I have BLRWs and I haven't seen any of that type of behavior from them. I think it has more to do with breeding that breed though when it comes to concerns of temperament.

...As for the pests, I would ask if you regularly clean and disinfect the coop and liberally use DE. I have had no pests or skin irritations on either breed (knock on wood).

Definitely regularly clean and disinfect. I use vodka to clean and infuse it with some fresh herbs to keep any harmful chemicals away from the chickens. I clean out droppings every morning - but without fail, there always seem to be bugs! Not that they're just in the run - they are everywhere in Florida! In the sand, in the trees, in the bushes, etc. There are noseeums in the sandy soil (which is unavoidable where I live). I might try the DE, even though I have heard some negative reviews of it due to potential respiratory problems (??). But apparently if you let it settle for awhile then that can be avoided.

My flock is mixed between breeding/hatching seasons. I do not find that my Buckeyes are low on the pecking order at all. Some of the hens are actually higher on the roost then most others, and they don't take much crap off the cockerels around either. The only time I see a bird picked on is if something is wrong with it. I think that if there are parasites bothering that one bird, it is likely due to there being something "off" with it, rather than the color. I find that birds that have some well masked illness or disease going on that they are stressed physically, I will find crawlies on them that are easily visible.
That being said, each birds kind of has its own personality, so maybe she just is that way. I would look it over well and try clearing up any parasites (lice, mites, etc.) Provide them with a good clean, dry, dusting box with Sevin dust or DE if your birds are free from external parasites, as a preventive measure. Having lived in Florida, I know there are bugs in the sandy soil we don't have up here in the North that enjoy bothering all sorts of man and beast, so I would think you would be more vigilant in that region of the country for them?
Good luck with her. Maybe getting Buckeyes from a different source may be a good answer too, each strain comes with their own 'micro' qualities that set it apart from the next.
Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback, Minniechickmama! Interesting to hear about where your Buckeyes stand in the pecking order! Funny, my Buckeyes will stand up to cats and dogs and "protect" the flock (while the well-known bully shies away from cats and runs for cover), while the Buckeyes WON'T stand up to the bully hen!

You're right about all the insects that live in Florida - they will attack anything with a pulse. I think I will try the DE route and see how it works out. I currently have a sandbox for them to bathe/clean themselves and get rid of parasites, but considering the amount of pests in FL, I think it might be DE time.

His birds does have some traits I like. The darker colour, etc. IMO the Buckeyes just look better darker. I've been looking at a lot of Buckeyes over the past few months and I like what I've seen with his. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone wanting a start of some good birds.

I'm so happy to read all the positive things about Jeff Lay's birds--I just ordered a doz chicks from him and couldn't be more excited.

Back
Top Bottom