The Buckeye Thread

I'm not up on all the Trojan styles, but I have heard there are plenty to choose from. March Fong Eu who was Secretary of State for Cali back around 1970 decreed me the "Chicken King of All California". .....but that was not breed specific and back then they could do things like that but still get the business they are being paid to do done...for the most part. When Obama sends his proclamation you will have the trifecta and they should all be framed and placed in a prominent place. I'll have to find my chicken king papers......I know at the tiime I was just happy that they didn't accidently make king..... queen........you know how hard it is for those politicians to get anything right.

Walt
King? of course! But that is California...gender is a matter of perception in that state...
hugs.gif

Congratulations on the "Grand Master" status within the APA and I believe it is the FIRST time for the Buckeye Large Fowl to share this honor! It's my understanding that in order to achieve "Grand Master" one must acquire 100 or more points showing a single variety and to my knowledge Shumaker is the first person to do so with the Buckeye breed. Job well done, sir!

Regards,

Jeff Lay
The American Buckeye Club
Miamisburg, Ohio 45342

PS - Thanks again for your support of the American Buckeye Club.

According to the APA page, your understanding is correct: http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APA_point_system.htm

Nice to see you on BYC, Grand Poobah.

rick

Could someone tell me where to buy Buckeyes? I don't want to get them from a hatchery, but I haven't been able to find any breeders online who ship chicks.

Please check the link in my signature, there might be someone on the breeders directory who could help.

Last edited by a moderator:
......I would agree that the future is bright for the breed; it is gaining recognition and is being noticed.......each year the breed does make it to Champion Row and that is important. I have always felt that for any breed; you have to breed it as a "total package" working on all aspects of the breed simultaneously to yield favorable results.....we all can see where "build the barn and then paint it" has done for the breed......it's hard to get the right paint if it wasn't there to begin with
wink.png
. I've had more than one judge tell me that once you lose the right color, its nearly impossible to regain it.

I mentioned above about feeding buckeyes properly; what are your thoughts on feeding buckeyes chicks..there is a bunch of information out there, but I'm curious your thoughts?
Joe, I completely agree with the "total package" concept and you know lots of folks would say we are nuts but that's okay, too!

As far as feeding Buckeye chicks my formula is pretty simple, feed a 22-24% chick starter that has ANIMAL PROTEIN and feed it to them until they are 4-6 months old. While Buckeyes benefit from higher protein to help build muscle and bone they certainly don't need to fed like turkey's! The biggest issue I see in commercial feeds today is the trend to go 100% plant protein and to me that is a huge mistake. If your label does not say "animal protein" then you need to add fish meal or fish pellets to the mixture. In addition to feeding a good "chick starter/grower" I believe adding an electrolyte with extra vitamins and minerals into their water every couple weeks is a good idea, too. When they get older and are running outdoors I like to add some whole corn and a little BOSS to their diet but not in huge amounts and never in extremely hot weather!

That's just me and how I have done it for over 12 years now and my Buckeyes grow well and meet standard weights at relatively young ages compared to others that are fed lesser quality feed.

Jeff Lay
Crains Run Ranch
Miamisburg, Ohio
www.crainsrunranch.com

Last edited:
Joe, I completely agree with the "total package" concept and you know lots of folks would say we are nuts but that's okay, too!

As far as feeding Buckeye chicks my formula is pretty simple, feed a 22-24% chick starter that has ANIMAL PROTEIN and feed it to them until they are 4-6 months old. While Buckeyes benefit from higher protein to help build muscle and bone they certainly don't need to fed like turkey's! The biggest issue I see in commercial feeds today is the trend to go 100% plant protein and to me that is a huge mistake. If your label does not say "animal protein" then you need to add fish meal or fish pellets to the mixture. In addition to feeding a good "chick starter/grower" I believe adding an electrolyte with extra vitamins and minerals into their water every couple weeks is a good idea, too. When they get older and are running outdoors I like to add some whole corn and a little BOSS to their diet but not in huge amounts and never in extremely hot weather!

That's just me and how I have done it for over 12 years now and my Buckeyes grow well and meet standard weights at relatively young ages compared to others that are fed lesser quality feed.

Jeff Lay
Crains Run Ranch
Miamisburg, Ohio
www.crainsrunranch.com

Do you ever add any yogurt or ACV?

Looks like I need to kick up the protein a bit in my bucks.

Query...do the buck roo chicks grow faster than the females? I 've got a one that is clearly a lot larger than the other siblings that I suspicion may be a roo. They all seem to be feathering about the same (full wings...all still have scraggly tails at 4 weeks).

Lady of McCamley

Quote:
When I was growing out mine I also had turkey poults being brooded in the same brooder. I mixed the game bird starter (30% protein) with the chick starter (18% protein) half and half, and added a tiny amount of fish on a regular basis. The turkeys did fine, and the Buckeye and Speckled Sussex did beautifully, all reaching SOP weights, with no obesity of other "overnutrition" problems.

Has it been 4 weeks already? Hard to believe they're that old. Can you post pictures of each one, especially with good views of their hackles and cape feathers?

Back
Top Bottom