The Buckeye Thread

We live in Wilson Wyoming often referred to as jackson hole and have a small farm, 5 acres, and we raise a variety of livestock. I have had chickens for years and have a mixed flock of RI reds, wyandottes,an orphington and 4 Sagittas. We recd 26 Buckeye chicks via the PO in Wilson from Cackle Hatechery in Lebanon MO and despite the 3 day trip only one died but a lot of them looked stressed and cold but I put them in the sauna heated to about 100 deg and gave them our incomparable well water and all are well this morning. I am trying to find out if there are any other folks who are raising buckeyes in our area which is NW Wy and SE ID. I might want to swap out cockerels to cut down on incest related issues. We have a bitterly cold climate with nights into the minus 30s in a normal winter and -40's in a cold winter. Our coldest night was in 1978 when it hit -67. During that snap I lost all my guineas but the chickens and the peacocks made it huddled under a light. We normally don't put any heat in the coop unless it is colder than -20. The combs may get frostbite and the eggs freeze quickly but the girls who are tough have made it. The ones that can't don't of course. We let them free range even in the winter with the deep snow. They hate walking on snow but we let them on the roads and they find things to do even in the winter like chasing mice and sunbathing. Predators are a real problem and my coop is surrounded by heavy 1.5" panels with welded mesh to 6'. We have had bears wolves and of course coyotes and foxes and racoons visit but so far, so good. Predators from the air like eagles hawks and owls have swiped our ducks geese and chickens but our chickens are now pretty wily and watch the skies and I only let them out when we are out. Our lab cross watches out for the chickens and chases away nasties.We had a terrible mouse population explosion with our mild winter so I am hoping that the buckeyes will help out. I will post a few pics when I can. We have a renter who wants to raise some of our buckeyes so I hope they are a good breed. Has anyone heard of any buckeye bantams? I had good luck with bantams in our early days when we had no good coop and they roosted in the trees which kept them out of the clutches of the coyotes and foxes.

Pathfinder has great birds. She is mostly active in other spots on the net now. She started one of the national Buckeye associations - I forget which one.

I also am getting some Buckeyes from someone who started from her lines.

:) Happy Chick Day

Chris Mccary has good ones as well. He had reserve American with a male at the APA National at Knoxville this year.

Walt

Hi Hugho !

I got my first Buckeye from a hatchery .... boy was that a mistake except for eggs - she came out looking a buff orph ... just a wee bit more organie .... So in a few weeks I am going to the only place within driving distance that is a real breeder (I live in Vermont - no where near Ohio and all the breeders there) .... and get some with for sure decent and well mixed bloodlines ...

Can't wait !
Here is the hatchery pullet: a good egg layer - but no one could call her a Buckeye .... she kept the color you see on her wing feathers - could barely be called a rust, eh ?
th.gif

Walt - thanks - but I've done a ton of looking and after having the above from hatcheries and no incubator ... I found a good spot that I can drive to in 3 hours one way. So I'm all locked in with good birds soon. Whoot !

Hi Hugho ! I got my first Buckeye from a hatchery .... boy was that a mistake except for eggs - she came out looking a buff orph ... just a wee bit more organie .... So in a few weeks I am going to the only place within driving distance that is a real breeder (I live in Vermont - no where near Ohio and all the breeders there) .... and get some with for sure decent and well mixed bloodlines ... Can't wait ! Here is the hatchery pullet: a good egg layer - but no one could call her a Buckeye .... she kept the color you see on her wing feathers - could barely be called a rust, eh ? :th Walt - thanks - but I've done a ton of looking and after having the above from hatcheries and no incubator ... I found a good spot that I can drive to in 3 hours one way. So I'm all locked in with good birds soon. Whoot !
That sounds like a good idea.

Walt - yeah, nothing like delayed gratification ! These peeps have been a long time coming - I used to post on this thread - but then backed off so as not to be temped by pictures.

but you guys are mostly into showing - which I am not, so I had nothing to add to those conversation threads - I want more basic pictures :) So guys ..... post 'em if you have 'em !
love.gif

I did a lot of research before getting my Buckeyes. So just my personal humble opinion I would rate the quality of current lines:

1) Shumaker
2) Lay
3) McCary

My Buckeyes are Lay line. Which is the one line that I know of bred for SOP and for production.

Regin ! Love the pics !!!

I did a lot of research too. So for what I want - I am thrilled to be getting the lines I have "lined" up.
lol.png

My son is getting his 1st Buckeyes in two weeks from Meyer's Hatchery. We looked for local breeders, but most of them seem to want to hold on to their chicks. My son is a 4Her and is working with his group to help preserve the breed. We are excited and cannot wait to meet them.

Last edited:
My son is getting his 1st Buckeyes in two weeks from Meyer's Hatchery. We looked for local breeders, but most of them seem to want to hold on to their chicks. My son is a 4Her and is working with his group to help preserve the breed. We are excited and cannot wait to meet them.
It is best if he is going to show to find some breeder type stock, but you should enjoy them from Meyer too. They are just a wonderful breed for many reasons!

Back
Top Bottom