The Buckeye Thread

I haven't butchered birds as young as 14 weeks before. It's an experiment based on the advice of some people in the meat birds forum, that 14 weeks is optimal balance between feed consumption, carcass size, and carcass quality. I may not butcher all that young, but a few (the hatchery Buckeye, the crossbeak, and the bantam Cochins) are definitely not worth keeping. Unless you think Meyer Hatchery has good stock? I ordered him before I knew I would be hatching this year. My main goal is just to raise my own replacement hens for my flock

Rooster? Pullet? I know I posted pictures of this bird last week but I still can't decide. The comb is well developed, it just is not very dark.
IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2051.JPG

Since everything I thought was a roo is changing into a pullet, I just went ahead and moved all the Buckeyes out of the meat bird growout pen and back into the brooder shed. Hah! Now it looks like my problem is going to be only having 3 roosters to pick 2 "keepers" from. Much better problem than not enough replacement pullets!

Hello to anyone out there still linked to this thread!

I am hoping there are still some buckeye owners out here, and a few who have the ability/credentials/etc to provide me with hatching eggs! I am trying to gather buckeye eggs from 2 separate flocks, and start to use them to become more self sustaining, while also preserving the breed.

Contact me here or DM if you'd like. I am in no RUSH to get the eggs... some time within the beginning of 2018 would be fine. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom