The Buckeye Thread

My roo's favourite girl is my silkie. Silly girl slipped some eggs under my broody OEGB.
Meet my newly hatched silkie x buckeye chick.
20180618_160056.jpg

Thanks so much for the info! I have one more question, if I can pick your brain about Buckeyes... I was looking at one of the Buckeye clubs, and they have a breed standard. They said NO white feathers. Do white tips of feathers on these young pullets mean they are disqualified or of bad breeding? Maybe it's just because the feathers are still growing in? Thanks again!

As best I can remember, my chicks did not have ANY white at any time as they were growing up. The desired color for buckeyes is a deep dark red/brown color. So light gold/yellow feathers (I have plenty in my birds) or lots of black feathers (a couple are okay) are not desirable. I would guess that white feathers are not going to go away as adults.

Please let me clarify my definition of "bad breeding"... in this case, "bad breeding" simply means "breeding for traits other than those that you want." If your birds are from a hatchery, undoubtedly the primary trait they were selected for was egg production. (Think about it... hatcheries only make money when they hatch eggs, so they want lots of eggs...) They likely also selected somewhat for color, size, temperament, and conformation, but when you select so heavily for only one trait, you can't help but lose quality in the other traits.

As best I can remember, my chicks did not have ANY white at any time as they were growing up. The desired color for buckeyes is a deep dark red/brown color. So light gold/yellow feathers (I have plenty in my birds) or lots of black feathers (a couple are okay) are not desirable. I would guess that white feathers are not going to go away as adults.

Please let me clarify my definition of "bad breeding"... in this case, "bad breeding" simply means "breeding for traits other than those that you want." If your birds are from a hatchery, undoubtedly the primary trait they were selected for was egg production. (Think about it... hatcheries only make money when they hatch eggs, so they want lots of eggs...) They likely also selected somewhat for color, size, temperament, and conformation, but when you select so heavily for only one trait, you can't help but lose quality in the other traits.

Well, darn on the white feather tips then... I was hoping to breed these birds, as I got an accidental cockerel with the pullets. Other than the white (blah...) their temperament is very Buckeye, and two of them are very dark mahogany, and the other two (including the cockerel) are a bit lighter. Eyes are still greenish, but hope they get redder.

The little cockerel is already exhibiting protective behavior at almost 3 months old now. A neighbor opened a "big scary shop/garage door" and the pullets ran for cover. The little guy stood tall and stood his ground. Good boy. I also caught him breaking up a little spat between the pullets. These birds are so fun. Always following me around, seeing what I'm up to, and talking.

Chris, I am not sure if I would go so far as saying never select a female looking at color. Color is still important even on the girls, but I think what you are trying to emphasize is that the heavier weight in evaluating them is giving the type traits to the females and color traits to the males?
Also, I think it is normal to see a little beige or yellowish in the juvies feathers, but not really white. And it does depend on what stage your are seeing color deviations. If they are months and you start seeing white in the primaries and tails, then they are a definitel no-go.
I hope everyone is having success with expanding this lovely breed. I have been concentrating on a few things outside of poultry the last couple of years, but I am still working with my Buckeyes and a couple of other breeds.

Chris, I am not sure if I would go so far as saying never select a female looking at color. Color is still important even on the girls, but I think what you are trying to emphasize is that the heavier weight in evaluating them is giving the type traits to the females and color traits to the males?
Also, I think it is normal to see a little beige or yellowish in the juvies feathers, but not really white. And it does depend on what stage your are seeing color deviations. If they are months and you start seeing white in the primaries and tails, then they are a definitel no-go.
I hope everyone is having success with expanding this lovely breed. I have been concentrating on a few things outside of poultry the last couple of years, but I am still working with my Buckeyes and a couple of other breeds.

I did not say "never" select for color on females. I said: "With females, select for body type first, never color." (emphasis added). I did not say color was not important. (Where is that?)
No, I often see white tips on juvenile feathers, especially tips of wings; it is not uncommon at all. The young birds go through seven sets of juvenile feathers before attaining their adult feathers. As you know, I have had success showing Buckeyes and teaching others how to breed them and those folks have had astounding success. I always teach never select females first for color; select for type, then go through the color valuation.

I did not say "never" select for color on females. I said: "With females, select for body type first, never color." (emphasis added). I did not say color was not important. (Where is that?)
No, I often see white tips on juvenile feathers, especially tips of wings; it is not uncommon at all. The young birds go through seven sets of juvenile feathers before attaining their adult feathers. As you know, I have had success showing Buckeyes and teaching others how to breed them and those folks have had astounding success. I always teach never select females first for color; select for type, then go through the color valuation.
I was commenting on how it read to me. I think we agree, just had a different way of wording it.
It is nice we have people in the North and South working on this lovely breed. They are and likely always be to me, the perfect dual purpose breed.

I have a really hard time reading the APA SOP.

At what age can I start to judge a bird. Exactly what characteristics am I looking for at which age? I have one that hatched the beginning of May that I think is true to breed but need help figuring out if it is or not. (Still can't determine sex).

Back
Top Bottom