The Burrow

@Iluveggers she seems to do just fine! She’s much smaller, but I think having feathers around her comb make it easier on her. My flock seems to get along so on those really cold nights she’s nestled in with my bigger hens.

I actually think that due to the crest protecting the comb, she fared better than my larger combed ladies.

@Iluveggers she seems to do just fine! She’s much smaller, but I think having feathers around her comb make it easier on her. My flock seems to get along so on those really cold nights she’s nestled in with my bigger hens.

I actually think that due to the crest protecting the comb, she fared better than my larger combed ladies.
She’s sooo adorable! 🥰 I’ll add to next years wish list! (We are maxed out!)

New additions to my flock!! I had said I wanted to skip chicks this year and try to space out my egg laying years of my chickens, but the little floofballs are just too irresistible!
Meet Florence (Easter egger):
8E884CA7-0765-44BD-B305-C2265C93F3D2.jpeg

And Duchess (Easter egger):
B493CEC9-5C50-45CC-B0C1-6B027F01A5B8.jpeg

I hope they grow up to look different from each other! My feed store only had these dark colored Easter egger chicks left. I know that you never know what Easter eggers will grow up as so I’m excited to see!
90735C1F-DA24-4D1F-B589-C1A08DE6A87D.jpeg

659DAECC-28E6-4C07-93C4-7290C08EF85E.jpeg

FE11B482-7ED7-40C0-8C0A-297DE0199394.jpeg

Continuing my diary of my flock that no one reads...

Ginny passed away this morning. She got sick during this summer and stopped laying. I tried everything for her (I troubleshooted it with others in a separate thread), but she never seemed to fully recover. She would have long periods of being a happy, healthy chicken with random days of lethargy sprinkled in. She has not laid an egg since she got sick.

Lately as we have gotten colder (already lows below 0 F where I am this week), she has looked worse and worse. I think we knew that she would not survive the winter, so I am not surprised. But it doesn't make it any easier. Finding her body, even though I was out checking on her to see if she was still alive, was tough to see. I am sad for her.

Ginny was not my favorite chicken in my flock, but she gave me my first egg ever, and was a great layer with big, beautiful eggs. She was one of my original 3 girls. She was a very good chicken.

RIP Ginny
May 2021-November 2022
Ginny.jpg

The Burrow chickens spent the night in the garage! We have hit -39 F so far this morning and still dropping (real temp, not including windchill), and 4 of my idiots are molting. I don't think the molting chickens would have made it, so slumber party it is. LOL!
20221221.jpg

Back
Top Bottom