The butt of my silky chicken is red with blood or something stuck on it and in it

Marshmallobear2143

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2024
Hello I recently got chickens, and I’ve been having some trouble with one of the silkies recently. This is my first time raising them. The trick is about one day old and she has a big, red lumpy clump on her butt. We don’t know how to get rid of it or if it’s a health hazard, so I personally have not touched it. I was wondering if there was an infection or something that is urgent and what I should do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 39
Can't see the problem area very well but it may be pasty butt. Its pretty common in chicks and can get serious quickly. Wipe the area with a warm, wet paper towel. Do not soak the chick please! They can get a cold and die very easily. Pasty butt is usually caused by stress and its common for production chicks that are shipped to suffer from it. Some people say to help prevent, dab some mineral/baby oil around the area. If it gets worse I would recommend reaching out to an online avian vet and seeing what they have to say.

Howdy, :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Might be pasty butt, you'll have to clean it up with a wet, warm paper towel or if really dried, soak it in warm water.

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom