The Calico/Aloha/Mottled Naked Neck Thread

Pics
@]draye[/@], is this your partridge mottled girl or other mottled hen? I think that she is beautiful!

@]draye[/@], is this your partridge mottled girl or other mottled hen? I think that she is beautiful!

Yes, that is my Mottled Partridge girl. She will be 4 this year around April or May. I'm trying to get as many offspring from her as possible.

I have her three daughters if something should happen to her but I'd like to have about 10 more if I can wring that many more from her. I also have that son. So I should still have the genes available.

Yes, that is my Mottled Partridge girl. She will be 4 this year around April or May. I'm trying to get as many offspring from her as possible.

I have her three daughters if something should happen to her but I'd like to have about 10 more if I can wring that many more from her. I also have that son. So I should still have the genes available.

She has lot more white feathers then I remember. Was she molting this fall, I remeber someone saying that mottled birds get more white as they get older.

If she is four years old, I think you should get everything you want from her and more. I have two seven years old girls that lay like champs! Only thing that I don't like about them is that they don't let roosters breed them so I never know if their eggs are fertile.

She has lot more white feathers then I remember. Was she molting this fall, I remeber someone saying that mottled birds get more white as they get older.

If she is four years old, I think you should get everything you want from her and more. I have two seven years old girls that lay like champs! Only thing that I don't like about them is that they don't let roosters breed them so I never know if their eggs are fertile.

Yes, each year she has gotten more and more white feathers with each molt.

When I first hitched they were just a splotch or two and thought it wax just some out of place white feathers. I never intended to keep any off spring from her. But after the gist molt I figured out she was mottled, so I tried and tried to get done chicks from her. She was a great layer so I didn't get too many eggs from her. As she aged she began to lay the best in her third year ( age three) and her eggs became more fertile.

So when I figured out I liked the look it was almost too late. I do intend to try hatching her chicks very time I hatch. I going to hatch more from the previous mating with the Red Mottled rooster ( sire if her current chicks), then with my Spangled Aloha, I'll even keep the non NN ones to create more. Them if she's still here I'll try her with her own son. Which I feel will be a great mating.

Last edited:
Yes, each year she has gotten more and more white feathers with each molt.

When I first hitched they were just a splotch or two and thought it wax just some out of place white feathers. I never intended to keep any off spring from her. But after the gist molt I figured out she was mottled, so I tried and tried to get done chicks from her. She was a great layer so I didn't get too many eggs from her. As she aged she began to lay the best in her third year ( age three) and her eggs became more fertile.

So when I figured out I liked the look it was almost too late. I do intend to try hatching her chicks very time I hatch. I going to hatch more from the previous mating with the Red Mottled rooster ( sire if her current chicks), then with my Spangled Aloha, I'll even keep the non NN ones to create more. Them if she's still here I'll try her with her own son. Which I feel will be a great mating.

Everything with her is great! So I have one hen that is all black with white tips of her wings. But when she flapped with her wings I saw that she had even more white feathers under the wings. So I wonder if that's mottling or just few white feathers?!?

Are you going to post when you start the ebay auction?
Sure! It's going to be about 2-3 weeks still. I have to wait for any other roo's DNA to clear out of the hens, and that process takes at least 2 weeks. 3+ weeks is even safer. (But they've been in him for several days already, so the process is already started.) I could probably start the Ebay auction around Jan. 22-25 and by the time it ends it would be pushing 4 weeks with hens exclusively in that breeding pen.

I'd love to see someone with black-tail buff NN's get some of these eggs, as that color picked up the spots so nicely!

I love the look of this girl, @alohachickens ! Love the coloring, but I also like her body tipe. That's a good one!
Thanks! She is definitely one of the most attractive in body. That new rooster that I borrowed is not too shabby, I really like his wide chest. A couple of the NN Alohas are pretty weedy, because I used a super colorful (but sadly lacking in body type) rooster on my first cross to start this bloodline. I knew that rooster was going to bring down the body type, but his color was AMAZING and I had a lot of faith in that NN hen to help offset his weakness. That Turken gal did a great job helping out the Aloha boy's color. Here's a pic of the first generation cross to start this breeding line.

ALL of the chickens here with NN's are from this original cross, although many are now grand-chicks! This new pen will feature some great-grand-chicks from these two, so it's getting more expanded in bloodline now:

Anyway, that's where I started! With just those hens and that one scrawny roo.

Roo had some of the best color I've seen in an Aloha, ever, but awful type. LOL.

Regardless of color I think I'll see some good size and type in the chicks. I'll be test hatching the eggs all the way up to the Ebay auction, to make sure fertility is good, and I'll make sure I keep some chicks or give to my NN-loving buddies so we can see how the "kids" from this pen grow out.

Last edited:
Everything with her is great! So I have one hen that is all black with white tips of her wings. But when she flapped with her wings I saw that she had even more white feathers under the wings. So I wonder if that's mottling or just few white feathers?!?

That very well could be mottling. The only way to know for sure would be to breed her to a mottled rooster, and if any of the chicks turn out mottled then it would be mottling.

Sure! It's going to be about 2-3 weeks still. I have to wait for any other roo's DNA to clear out of the hens, and that process takes at least 2 weeks. 3+ weeks is even safer. (But they've been in him for several days already, so the process is already started.) I could probably start the Ebay auction around Jan. 22-25 and by the time it ends it would be pushing 4 weeks with hens exclusively in that breeding pen.

I'd love to see someone with black-tail buff NN's get some of these eggs, as that color picked up the spots so nicely!

Part of me really wants to get some of these eggs - but I've never hatched before, and I worry that I'll mess it up (natural reaction when you've never done something before, I suppose). I will be getting an incubator for my own eggs, though. Maybe I'll wait and try to get some eggs from you later on, can't decide... I'm also torn between aloha and Fm project ideas. Apparently I can never keep things simple...

(I already have Speckled Sussex girls to put with my big black-tailed red NN boy Tank. But they're pretty small so far - about 2-2.25 lbs at 12 weeks, so your sizes are tempting.)

- Ant Farm

Back
Top Bottom