The Calico/Aloha/Mottled Naked Neck Thread

I would really like to try this. How would you guys recommend getting started? Cross with Aloha chickens? (Would these still retain good size, meat-wise?)

- Ant Farm

Here is a pic of R-tip, Qtip's clone daughter.
Beauty like mana.
Is there mottling here????
I'm not really sure on the mottling on thus one. That looks a lot like sone of the ones I've been getting that I was told was dominant white split to wheaten.
Overly simple answer is almost everything black and white patterned is silver. Light brahma, columbian wyandotte, columbian rock, silver duckwing, birchen modern game are all Silver. The non- silver counterparts respectively are: buff brahma, black tail buff wyandotte and rock, red duckwing, brown red modern game. A huge percentage of hatchery NN are still coming out buff black tail hens and medium red roosters with black tails. Are they a wrong color for your project? I picked up a bunch of hatchery stock turken pullet chicks from the feedstore a couple months ago, they are coming up black tail buff or black although the one cockerel is surprising me by turning out a mix of white/buff and one pullet is strangely colored. If you like the javas, go for them.. It is your project so use what works best for you. Have you checked out the pinta asturianas(spelling??) there is a thread on here for them, seems to be a strongly mottled breed.
Yes I know there are some still coming out of the hatcheries that are still the Buff and Red Columbian (black tailed). I'm just trying not to buy anymore from hatcheries but the way things are looking I may have to order some. Yes they'd work really well. I'd like to get some if I have to from S & G Poultry, they have the broiler type NN that are the reddish color with the black tails. I just don't want to have to get 50 the minimum order. I have looked at the Pita Pinta ( or hair ver it's spelled), very beautiful. I'm arrays they'd be pretty expensive now though. Those folks are trying really harder to build up their numbers. I've used so e Kersey Giant blood it sure makes some nice sized chicks. I have one pullet that really look like she's going to have some size when she gets through growing but the shake is off done, hoping to breed back toward the proper shake in a generation or two. I was asking about the Javas because I know that the Giants were bred from them and wondered if the shape of the Java was similar to the Giant. I'm trying to stay away from ,things I have to breed out now. I'm going to continue with what I have now and on a couple if years try to add something to improve size and keep/help the egg laying ability. I mostly was just thinking ahead. I believe though my first next step might be to get some eggs from Alohachickens to add more back into the mottling thing. Kev I appreciate you being patient and answering all my questions.

Yes I know there are some still coming out of the hatcheries that are still the Buff and Red Columbian (black tailed). I'm just trying not to buy anymore from hatcheries but the way things are looking I may have to order some. Yes they'd work really well. I'd like to get some if I have to from S & G Poultry, they have the broiler type NN that are the reddish color with the black tails. I just don't want to have to get 50 the minimum order.

Yeah, I had originally wanted to get my NNs from S&G, but that's WAY too many chicks for me to handle... If you weren't so far away I'd split an order with you.

- Ant Farm

I would really like to try this. How would you guys recommend getting started? Cross with Aloha chickens? (Would these still retain good size, meat-wise?)

- Ant Farm

That would be my suggestion, the Alohas. Sones come along long way on building up the size of her birds. Yes there are some that are still on the small side but with proper culling and such it's a doable thing. .

I have added a bit of Jersey Hodnt blood yak mine. It looks like it is going to add some size, but I'm not sure how it will set in with tge mottling. On the regular NN thread I posted some picture if sk e chicks that came out if a 1/2 Jersey Giant hen and I got some interesting colors crossed with a Black Sex Link colored NN rooster. Loons like there are going to be size increase from this mating.

Yeah, I had originally wanted to get my NNs from S&G, but that's WAY too many chicks for me to handle... If you weren't so far away I'd split an order with you.

- Ant Farm

X2! There was someone on here who tried out the S&G NN, something else from them and happened to have one cockerel from hatchery stock. The SG NN grew much faster and bigger than the hatchery cockerel- there even was a picture showing the difference and it was truly impressive.

Been wanting some since then but like you guys, that is just too many....

- Ant Farm

That's a hard one to answer- there aren't really any meaty, fast growing mottled breeds. Mottled Java, Pintas might fit the bill but I am not familiar with these breeds.

as draye said, the Alohas still need work on the weights. If that doesn't scare you off then great. Think the goal is for bigger/dual purpose sized birds just that is still a work in progress.

What do you think about a Speckled Sussex cross? They're supposed to be big birds...

From what source though? I've only seen very few SS, all hatchery stock.. to my eyes they were tall looking birds but also looked rather slender.. more of a layer type than truly dual purpose.

I got some silver sussex from non-hatchery and they were HUGE... far bigger and heavier than all the SS I've seen.. very tall but definitely nothing slender about them.

So if you want big n meaty, avoid hatchery just to be sure in case they are "layer bred" strains.

Beauty like mana.
I'm not really sure on the mottling on thus one. That looks a lot like sone of the ones I've been getting that I was told was dominant white split to wheaten.
Yes I know there are some still coming out of the hatcheries that are still the Buff and Red Columbian (black tailed). I'm just trying not to buy anymore from hatcheries but the way things are looking I may have to order some. Yes they'd work really well. I'd like to get some if I have to from S & G Poultry, they have the broiler type NN that are the reddish color with the black tails. I just don't want to have to get 50 the minimum order.

I have looked at the Pita Pinta ( or hair ver it's spelled), very beautiful. I'm arrays they'd be pretty expensive now though. Those folks are trying really harder to build up their numbers.

I've used so e Kersey Giant blood it sure makes some nice sized chicks. I have one pullet that really look like she's going to have some size when she gets through growing but the shake is off done, hoping to breed back toward the proper shake in a generation or two. I was asking about the Javas because I know that the Giants were bred from them and wondered if the shape of the Java was similar to the Giant. I'm trying to stay away from ,things I have to breed out now.

I'm going to continue with what I have now and on a couple if years try to add something to improve size and keep/help the egg laying ability. I mostly was just thinking ahead.

I believe though my first next step might be to get some eggs from Alohachickens to add more back into the mottling thing.

Kev I appreciate you being patient and answering all my questions.

Oh always glad to help.. I understand better now, not wanting to do hatchery orders. Does your feedstore sell chicks from hatchery? I've asked one to do special order to come along their regular order and they were happy to do it. Other times like a couple months ago one happened to have turken chicks and I could not resist the temptation.... twice. Will see what sort of birds they grow into. The older group seem to be growing nicely. Anyways this was a nice way to avoid ordering direct from hatchery.

I too am trying to keep the meat on them but also good egg size and lay.. also like a little faster.

What do you think about a Speckled Sussex cross? They're supposed to be big birds...

There is quite a bit of Soeckled Sussex in the Aliha. That was one of the first breeds she used in them for sine size.
The only drawback she had was white lega( she wants yellow. Then they were adding too much mahogany and she wanted bigger splotches of white.
She wanted something similiar to this:

The Swedish Flower Hen, without the crest. Which she did add a little but of that to the mix.
The last that I heard ( read) other than NN the last she added was a Cinnamon Sussex and a Dun Sussex which acts like a Buff Columbian color. They are dive kind of dilute. She said that they are also adding size to the babies.

I too am trying to figure out how to add size to all lines of my NN.

I've thought if the Mottled Java, but according to @alohachickens the black takes over and you lose the colorful red splotches and calico look.

Back
Top Bottom