The Calico/Aloha/Mottled Naked Neck Thread

Pics
SUPER helpful, everyone! I had read that leg color "chart" elsewhere, but thanks for repeating it - @Kev, I think you had mentioned the blue legs allowing sexing of offspring before (maybe on the NN thread), so that is potentially a variable to consider. Can you clarify the green part? How do you get green again - is it blue over yellow? (Do I understand correctly from your post #81, about green-legged birds being yellow-skinned plus no Id to prevent pigment showing on legs? Do I also understand correctly that "No Id" is a recessive lack of Id that is sex-linked?)

Id= Inhibitor of Dermal melanin.

Green is yellow skin plus melanin in the dermal layer. just to be repetitive as sometimes it helps to click it in more- blue is white skin plus melanin in the dermal layer.

You got it- get green by crossing the blue leg boy with yellow legged girls- if he;s het Id, you will get half green legged girls(with the other girls being blue legged)

you could think of no Id that way... I think of it as being the ancestral trait- the default, with Id being a dominant and sex linked mutation that showed up sometime during domestication.

Id= Inhibitor of Dermal melanin.

Green is yellow skin plus melanin in the dermal layer. just to be repetitive as sometimes it helps to click it in more- blue is white skin plus melanin in the dermal layer.

You got it- get green by crossing the blue leg boy with yellow legged girls- if he;s het Id, you will get half green legged girls(with the other girls being blue legged)

you could think of no Id that way... I think of it as being the ancestral trait- the default, with Id being a dominant and sex linked mutation that showed up sometime during domestication.

Oh, yes, this helps. I teach human skin pathology in January.
big_smile.png

Sooooo, how does sex-linking work with chickens that's different than humans? (Or is this not sex-linked?)

Wait - never mind. I just looked it up - chickens have a ZW sex-linking system whereby the males have two sex chromosomes and the females have one (just like giant river prawn! Whatever...)
roll.png
To make it more complicated, it appears that dosage compensation is gene specific. OK, so now I don't feel so bad about having a hard time understanding chicken genetics. Geez.....

When in doubt, just listen to Kev...

- Ant Farm

Oh, yes, this helps. I teach human skin pathology in January.
big_smile.png

Sooooo, how does sex-linking work with chickens that's different than humans? (Or is this not sex-linked?)

Wait - never mind. I just looked it up - chickens have a ZW sex-linking system whereby the males have two sex chromosomes and the females have one (just like giant river prawn! Whatever...)
roll.png
To make it more complicated, it appears that dosage compensation is gene specific. OK, so now I don't feel so bad about having a hard time understanding chicken genetics. Geez.....

When in doubt, just listen to Kev...

- Ant Farm

Give me your credit and debit card information.............. heh heh heh.......

you got it on the sex linkage, ZZ, ZW.

Before too long you'll have people listening to you...... ;)

I just found this thread. Great idea and beautiful birds. I think that mottled naked necks are the best. Also I like that partridge mottled chickens @draye has.

This is music to my eyes, basically any other color mixed w/ yellow gives a color other then yellow.  I know yellow is preferred in NN, but it isn't my favorite.  I like white, pink, blue, green, or black over yellow.

I couldn't agree more with this. Most people here also like the yellow colored legs, but that's not the case with me.

Check out this picture. Tell me if you think this is considered mottling. Actually it's two pictures. One of the body and one of the bib.

I see now it is not showing the color like I wanted it too. You can see the goldish coloring in the picture. There is also black and red with some patterning to it also. Was going to see of anyone could put a color name to it, but I'll have to try to get a better shot later.

The other thing is the picture of the bib. There is a big, nearly the whole bib, white spot and the white color also extends over at least one eye not sure if its on both eyes or not. Would you think this is mottling?

Background in this chick. He's not from the Mottled Partridge hens clutch of eggs either.

His daddy was the Black Sex Link NN rooster. This roosters daddy was the Salmon NN ( this rooster carried mottling) out of a Barred hen.

This chicks mama was a Black Crossbred hen. 1/2 Black Jersey Giant 1/4 Production Red and 1/4 Easter Egger.

Through all. This there was only one mottle carrier in the bunch that is known of the pedigree. Could this possibly be carried that far and get mottling? Another thing is the to be mottled both parents have to be at least carriers of mottling.

Last edited:
Interesting look for sure.

I know what you mean about pictures not showing how it really looks in person.. had the same problem yesterday with pictures of the girl I posted pictures here a little ago. Looked good on the phone but after uploading to computer, the pictures showed way too much contrast and the color was not the same as in person.

Anyways, to me he looks like he's molting out to a red duckwing type pattern.

I'm curious to see if anyone else can weigh in about his bib and head feathers being a possible carrier sign...

Interesting look for sure.

I know what you mean about pictures not showing how it really looks in person.. had the same problem yesterday with pictures of the girl I posted pictures here a little ago. Looked good on the phone but after uploading to computer, the pictures showed way too much contrast and the color was not the same as in person.

Anyways, to me he looks like he's molting out to a red duckwing type pattern.

I'm curious to see if anyone else can weigh in about his bib and head feathers being a possible carrier sign...

I think he hatched out a chipmunky color. The brownish stripe. I had so many it's hard to remember for sure.

I know the clutch that he came from ( single breeding) 5 hatched and all were dark colors ( black) except him and the littke pullet ( she was brownish colored with a white dot). She is tge one that turned out Barred Partridge ( you can barely see the Partridge coloring now.

Out if the four chicks left 3 cockerels and 1 pullet.

It was really nice out today, so I took new photos of three of my Aloha NN hens.
Beautiful. Wished we were closer so that I could buy them hens from you. My Aloha NN's were getting to be the right age when disaster struck here. Al I have left from the Alohas, is a rooster ( not NN) and a solid red ( orange) hen. Since I've had to move things around here, the Orange hen is in with my Columbian NN rooster and I have three young red (NN) pullets in with Mr. Bo Spangles.. Along with a Wheaten hen that I couldn't move anywhere else and 2 Barred NN hens.

Back
Top Bottom