The Calico/Aloha/Mottled Naked Neck Thread

Pics
Updated photo of the NN chick - one of 3 that I kept. The other two (one hen and one roo) had barely any white spotting so I sold them.

I also kept some NEW chicks to raise, and this batch includes a TON of NN Alohas:

See all the Naked Necks in there?

These are chicks from the 6 NN hens - eggs on Ebay again right now - but those hens were in the barn, so Dads could be one of 6 possible roos. Which means these will be nice and varied in their DNA. I have some more eggs in the 'bator now, with the big dark NN rooster, and those will hatch on the 13th. I will keep and raise those.

Also, I gave the neighbors 28 NN chicks. Though they have been having issues with a cat getting chicks in their yard. I gave them some older chicks and those have been getting picked off one by one. Right now the NN babies are still in the brooder cage. I hope they build a new coop for the new peeps because I saw the cat crossing my yard two mornings in row last week. Luckily my chicks are enclosed in chain link or solid coops and cat can't get to them. So my colorful baby rooster is safe.

Last edited:
Wow very nice! I love that sea of naked necks..

I don't know if you remember my 'is she mottled?' pullet? She's at POL right now, and unfortunately she is not mottled. :(

Hoping it will eventually show up again in another line here.. they had mottled houdan in their ancestry.

Updated photo of the NN chick - one of 3 that I kept. The other two (one hen and one roo) had barely any white spotting so I sold them. I also kept some NEW chicks to raise, and this batch includes a TON of NN Alohas: See all the Naked Necks in there? These are chicks from the 6 NN hens - eggs on Ebay again right now - but those hens were in the barn, so Dads could be one of 6 possible roos. Which means these will be nice and varied in their DNA. I have some more eggs in the 'bator now, with the big dark NN rooster, and those will hatch on the 13th. I will keep and raise those. Also, I gave the neighbors 28 NN chicks. Though they have been having issues with a cat getting chicks in their yard. I gave them some older chicks and those have been getting picked off one by one. Right now the NN babies are still in the brooder cage. I hope they build a new coop for the new peeps because I saw the cat crossing my yard two mornings in row last week. Luckily my chicks are enclosed in chain link or solid coops and cat can't get to them. So my colorful baby rooster is safe.
Wow! Lots and lots if chicks. Wished I had the funds to bid in the. Eggs, but I'm going to have to wait a bit on buying eggs.
Wow very nice! I love that sea of naked necks.. I don't know if you remember my 'is she mottled?' pullet? She's at POL right now, and unfortunately she is not mottled. :( Hoping it will eventually show up again in another line here.. they had mottled houdan in their ancestry.
Hopefully it'll show back up, finding a rooster that is a carrier would be a good option.

Yeah I never really liked getting new birds, worry too much about the risks. Also trying really hard to keep the bird numbers down.. one way is not to have any new projects... already a challenge having to hatch lots of chicks from existing projects... I've even skipped on setting any eggs from at least two projects for a year(fibro NN bantam and standards).

Me, I've begin looking for eggs to hatch rather than started or grown birds. Just too many risks these days bringing in new birds. The eggs I feel are less risky, but I don't know, that too may be risky.

Same here I don't bring in new birds, only eggs. Well except for a few day olds as company to singles and from a trusted source.

Last edited:
I also prefer eggs or day old chicks. Raising all these peeps is expensive and a ton of work, but don't need any new germies.

BTW, I had this PILE of chicks in my brooder, but I didn't now how many? Because I just kept adding more and more when they hatched about a week ago. LOL.

Finally counted, and there are 23 NN chicks (plus 27 "regular" Aloha chicks.)

That is in addition to the neighbor's almost 30 NN babies, and there are more in the incubator now - quite a few more. The NN gals have been laying great, so even when I pack up and send extras to the last two auctions, I've been sending all the freshest eggs I can safely cram in the box, and then incubating the "leftover" oldest eggs. Maybe two or three dozen NN eggs have been added to the 'bator in the last few weeks? I'm going to give them to the neighbor or to a friend instead of selling them.

I'm putting out feelers, trying to find someone who will buy this flock of NN's and keep them intact so people who want eggs can still order. If I can't find a fan who is in love with this project, I will break up the flock, sell a few of the hens, keep my couple favorites, and that will be it for this year, as I need the pen for "regular" Aloha breeding crosses.

Just wanted to let y'all know! Hopefully I can find a fan of these locally who can keep 'em together and maybe offer hatching eggs at a "set" price per dozen? It doesn't mean this is the END of NN Alohas or anything - I'm still trying to get that cool Mille roo from my friend down in Tucson - and if I can't sell my flock as a unit then I will keep my three favorite hens - but it will mean the end of a "special" NN to NN pen for this year. If I don't get a buyer of the whole flock, I will probably sell eggs for a couple more weeks and then break it up by March.

Back
Top Bottom