The Calico/Aloha/Mottled Naked Neck Thread

Pics
This is the next batch after - a few NN's in here as well.

I also gave 20 MORE NN CHICKS to my neighbor!

Same neighbor that got over 25 chicks in the first batch . . .

I took pics of my growout chicks. Getting ready to cull a good number. Not a lot of the Turkens will make the cut, but a couple of them will. There are 2 boys with lots of white and yellow legs. Looks like I got way more roos than hens in my batch. Many hens look too dark and too plain. Maybe 2 hens look promising from this batch? Feeling like I will end up with only 4 or so to grow out.
Today I came across your page. Looked your posts and everything you've done. That is one long trip but have to say well worth it. Loved some birds, mostly the ones you also liked.

Today I came across your page. Looked your posts and everything you've done. That is one long trip but have to say well worth it. Loved some birds, mostly the ones you also like.
Thank you! I have worked very hard, and yet still so much more to do.
jumpy.gif

I see four nice Turkens in this picture.
The one in the middle appears to be a hen, and she's showing a lot of white.

The guy in front has pink legs. There is one with yellow legs and this same lighter color that I'll choose to grow out instead.

The one in front - think its a hen - she has nice yellow legs but not sure how much spotting she'll get? No issue selling hens later, so I'll go ahead and grow out some of the gals that I'm on the fence about.

Since my neighbor has a bunch of boys, going to be particularly choosy on which of those I keep to grow out. I see two in particular with nice yellow legs. But a lot of them got the pink/white legs from their daddy, since that is the dominant gene!

This project will be a little farther along. With my Easter hatch.

Out of 112 eggs set I have 84 left.
Here us a photo of what us left in the runs. Of interest to the Mottled/Aloha/Calico thread is runs three and four.

Out of 53 eggs set I have 41 that are fertile. That's a little over 77% fertility. Not bad. From the Red Mottled/Mottled Partridge-Silver matings 14 out if 15 were fertile.
From the Spangled Aloha matings 5 hens- 3 red and 2 barred out 38 set 27 were . From the looks of the eggs shape and size it looks like at least 1/2 of the eggs were from one hen and the others from another hen. So I think this may be a hen issue rather than a rooster problem.

Last edited:
Well, it's official. I finished the tractor coop, and the Speckled Sussex and Mr. Tankity Tank Tank were put together in their new home this evening (early enough to see each other a bit - lots of sexy activity goin' on, lots and lots of squatting - this was WAY overdue in their eyes, I think!). I may actually miss having to round Tankity Poo up every night and put him to bed - I had a last cuddle with him:

I went back out a minute ago to put them on the roosts if they were sleeping on the ground - and they were all lined up on the roosts, with Tank in the middle and the girls all around him snuggling against him. They all looked VERY happy - it's been a VERY long courtship. They'll be locked in here for about a week to learn that this is home before I let them out in a paddock. The paddock will have to have overhead coverage, because the SS's are escape artists...

In addition to him acting as lead for this little family, he's around as a back up NN rooster. Longer term I may put the Aloha NN girls with him (depends on the male female mix I get with these chicks and how the boys look - I really do need to keep the number of roosters down).

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
Well, it's official. I finished the tractor coop, and the Speckled Sussex and Mr. Tankity Tank Tank were put together in their new home this evening (early enough to see each other a bit - lots of sexy activity goin' on, lots and lots of squatting - this was WAY overdue in their eyes, I think!). I may actually miss having to round Tankity Poo up every night and put him to bed - I had a last cuddle with him: I went back out a minute ago to put them on the roosts if they were sleeping on the ground - and they were all lined up on the roosts, with Tank in the middle and the girls all around him snuggling against him. They all looked VERY happy - it's been a VERY long courtship. They'll be locked in here for about a week to learn that this is home before I let them out in a paddock. The paddock will have to have overhead coverage, because the SS's are escape artists... In addition to him acting as lead for this little family, he's around as a back up NN rooster. Longer term I may put the Aloha NN girls with him (depends on the male female mix I get with these chicks and how the boys look - I really do need to keep the number of roosters down). - Ant Farm
Yea, I try to keep them down ( roosters) also. I kept way too many the last time. I'm down to 6 now. I got some eggs set by the 7 th one before I got rid if him. But he's with my grandson so if I need him back for awhile then I wool be able to get him.

Last edited:
Well, it's official. I finished the tractor coop, and the Speckled Sussex and Mr. Tankity Tank Tank were put together in their new home this evening (early enough to see each other a bit - lots of sexy activity goin' on, lots and lots of squatting - this was WAY overdue in their eyes, I think!). I may actually miss having to round Tankity Poo up every night and put him to bed - I had a last cuddle with him: I went back out a minute ago to put them on the roosts if they were sleeping on the ground - and they were all lined up on the roosts, with Tank in the middle and the girls all around him snuggling against him. They all looked VERY happy - it's been a VERY long courtship. They'll be locked in here for about a week to learn that this is home before I let them out in a paddock. The paddock will have to have overhead coverage, because the SS's are escape artists... In addition to him acting as lead for this little family, he's around as a back up NN rooster. Longer term I may put the Aloha NN girls with him (depends on the male female mix I get with these chicks and how the boys look - I really do need to keep the number of roosters down). - Ant Farm
This is a true love story, lol. They should give you some beautiful birds. I forgot, who is your number one roo with nn? Apoc?! And you did great job making this tractor. It was worth the time you spent on building it.

Back
Top Bottom