The Calico/Aloha/Mottled Naked Neck Thread

Pics
Quote:
Thanks!!! It was hard but yes, indeed, it was worth it!

El Hefe number one in the main NN flock is Severus Snape.

Apoc is on his own in a separate tractor (similar to this one), and has not been let out in a while because he escapes his paddock and then ends up causing fights through the fences with the other roos - Poor fella. He will need to wait about 5 more months until he gets his own girls - hope he doesn't lose his little rooster mind by then. I'm going to try to set up a paddock for him the will contain him, but it will be lots of work, so I haven't gotten to it yet.

_Ant Farm

Thanks!!! It was hard but yes, indeed, it was worth it! El Hefe number one in the main NN flock is Severus Snape. Apoc is on his own in a separate tractor (similar to this one), and has not been let out in a while because he escapes his paddock and then ends up causing fights through the fences with the other roos - Poor fella. He will need to wait about 5 more months until he gets his own girls - hope he doesn't lose his little rooster mind by then. I'm going to try to set up a paddock for him the will contain him, but it will be lots of work, so I haven't gotten to it yet. _Ant Farm
I thought of the right rooster, just named it wrong. So what girls is he going to get? Naked necks or something else?

Quote:
He's getting some cream legbar ladies who didn't have very good auto sexing markings as chicks - to make green egg laying CL-NN hybrids.
clap.gif

Quote:
Belated thanks!!! (I've apparently subscribed to too many threads to keep up!!!!!)

I have been crazy busy, and have missed a few weekly weighings of the Aloha NN chicks (which is ok, honestly - no need to weigh every single week, I suppose). But in looking at them more closely this morning, I realized that I can now sex them pretty clearly I think - 4 boys, 3 girls (by combs). Unfortunately, all the NN phenotypes are boys, and the girls are two Nn and the nn (fully feathered) chick. I am really stressing a bit over rooster numbers (partly because Apoc, my batchelor NN, has gotten really loud, which then sets off Tank - they both get a trial of a no crow collar this weekend).

I've been rolling over culling and housing plans in my head. (@alohachickens , am I correct that these chicks are siblings and should not be crossed with each other?). I think that when the time comes, I will cull the non-spotty Speckled Sussex, and replace them in Tank's family with the three Aloha girls. Tank is NN, so any of his babies with any nn will be Nn. But I will continue to evaluate the boys, and consider keeping at least one (their ability to live with each other or other chicks may determine that, as multiple solo housings are tough to manage). I have German New Hampshires coming this spring - we'll see how those fit in to the picture....

- Ant Farm

Belated thanks!!! (I've apparently subscribed to too many threads to keep up!!!!!)

I've been rolling over culling and housing plans in my head. (@alohachickens , am I correct that these chicks are siblings and should not be crossed with each other?). I think that when the time comes, I will cull the non-spotty Speckled Sussex, and replace them in Tank's family with the three Aloha girls. Tank is NN, so any of his babies with any nn will be Nn. But I will continue to evaluate the boys, and consider keeping at least one (their ability to live with each other or other chicks may determine that, as multiple solo housings are tough to manage). I have German New Hampshires coming this spring - we'll see how those fit in to the picture....

- Ant Farm
Since your eggs were at the start of the pen, I'd say it's very possible there were *multiple* dads. As they get older it should be easier to tell.

You would be OK crossing siblings together (a little bit) anyway, but I think if they start looking pretty different (in color) and it hints at maybe different dads, I'd totally cross them together. Hopefully it will be easier to tell as they grow.

If they are NN then the dad would surely be the *only* NN rooster. If they are Nn or nn then the dad could be one of the other roosters - especially if the color is different.

The NN rooster that I had with them was Speckled Sussex color, but some of the other boys in the barn where the hens came from were red and white and there was one gold and white boy! Barn boys all have YELLOW legs and the NN rooster had PINK legs so that would be another clue. Yellow legs and lighter color on a Nn chick would mean most likely dad is *not* the NN rooster.

Hopefully as they mature we can see more differences in type? The NN roo who is dark brown with pink legs, he is also very *big* while the barn roos are slighter in build. So add smaller size, yellow legs, and lighter color to the list of clues that could tell you if the dads are different.

I have been crazy busy, and have missed a few weekly weighings of the Aloha NN chicks (which is ok, honestly - no need to weigh every single week, I suppose). But in looking at them more closely this morning, I realized that I can now sex them pretty clearly I think - 4 boys, 3 girls (by combs). Unfortunately, all the NN phenotypes are boys, and the girls are two Nn and the nn (fully feathered) chick. I am really stressing a bit over rooster numbers (partly because Apoc, my batchelor NN, has gotten really loud, which then sets off Tank - they both get a trial of a no crow collar this weekend). 

I've been rolling over culling and housing plans in my head. (@alohachickens
, am I correct that these chicks are siblings and should not be crossed with each other?). I think that when the time comes, I will cull the non-spotty Speckled Sussex, and replace them in Tank's family with the three Aloha girls. Tank is NN, so any of his babies with any nn will be Nn. But I will continue to evaluate the boys, and consider keeping at least one (their ability to live with each other or other chicks may determine that, as multiple solo housings are tough to manage). I have German New Hampshires coming this spring - we'll see how those fit in to the picture....

- Ant Farm 

Too bad, but like you said, if you breed them to Tank you will get at least Nn. Maybe you could even put them with rooster you hatch from Tank and SS.

How old are these aloha naked necks? I forgot it. Maybe some of the boys turn female in a few weeks, lol

Do you have all naked neck boys that you bought last year? Or you culled some of them?

Are you allowed to have rooster at you place?

Quote: Thanks - this is very helpful. i will try to get photos this weekend if I can. It looks like two of the chicks (one boy, one nn girl) are dark, the rest are light with lots of white, so perhaps tow daddies? I need a closer look at their legs - I've been so distracted, I haven't studied them as carefully yet. But they are all looking really good to me (of course, I love all NNs).

Quote: Aloha Naked Necks are approaching 4 weeks old (this weekend). I'm pretty sure the ones that I think are boys are boys, from my experience with he earlier batch - bigger red combs, big legs. If anything, may have a late- bloomer "pullet" that ends up a boy.

I kept Snape, Tank, and Apoc from the earlier group - culled the rest for small size. Apoc is locked up on his own (causes trouble/starts fights when let out) and is being loud - he may get a trial of a crow collar this weekend. (I'm not ready to cull him yet - he's good looking and big, and Snape is starting to be pretty hard on his girls, Apoc is back up). I'm allowed to have roosters, but I could still have a noise complaint (just like someone who is allowed dogs in our city can have a noise complaint from barking). Also, he starts earliest and crows just a little too long. I'm going to give him some Cream Legbar pullets, but he needs to wait...

- Ant Farm

Thanks - this is very helpful. i will try to get photos this weekend if I can. It looks like two of the chicks (one boy, one nn girl) are dark, the rest are light with lots of white, so perhaps tow daddies? I need a closer look at their legs - I've been so distracted, I haven't studied them as carefully yet. But they are all looking really good to me (of course, I love all NNs).

Aloha Naked Necks are approaching 4 weeks old (this weekend). I'm pretty sure the ones that I think are boys are boys, from my experience with he earlier batch - bigger red combs, big legs. If anything, may have a late- bloomer "pullet" that ends up a boy.

I kept Snape, Tank, and Apoc from the earlier group - culled the rest for small size. Apoc is locked up on his own (causes trouble/starts fights when let out) and is being loud - he may get a trial of a crow collar this weekend. (I'm not ready to cull him yet - he's good looking and big, and Snape is starting to be pretty hard on his girls, Apoc is back up). I'm allowed to have roosters, but I could still have a noise complaint (just like someone who is allowed dogs in our city can have a noise complaint from barking). Also, he starts earliest and crows just a little too long. I'm going to give him some Cream Legbar pullets, but he needs to wait...

- Ant Farm 

Wow, they are already that old! Oh and let's just hope late bloomimg cockerels never bloom.

I actually knew what roosters you have, but I thought that the only three roosters you got where these three.

I don't know how things work there and how close yout coops are to your houses, but how loud are these roosters if you hear them in the midlle of the night? Here in my neighbourhood almost every or every other house has chickens and roosters and, at least me and my family don't hear them except if we are awake.

I guess that I could never use rooster as alarm..

Wow, they are already that old! Oh and let's just hope late bloomimg cockerels never bloom.

I actually knew what roosters you have, but I thought that the only three roosters you got where these three.

I don't know how things work there and how close yout coops are to your houses, but how loud are these roosters if you hear them in the midlle of the night? Here in my neighbourhood almost every or every other house has chickens and roosters and, at least me and my family don't hear them except if we are awake.

I guess that I could never use rooster as alarm..
Oh, sorry. I have four roosters right now - these three and Dumbledore, the Cream Legbar cockerel. I have German New Hampshires and Blue Copper Marans coming from a breeder at the end of the month and will keep one boy from each of those, and need to choose a "next generation" Cream Legbar from these babies (which have been crowing since three weeks old, by the way!!!!). Sooooooo... yeah. Rooster issues.

None of my boys crow at night (they wouldn't last long if they did). Including when a neighbor's dog barks all night (like last night
he.gif
). But Apoc crows earliest (about 5:15am in the pitch black) and the most insistently. He also crows the most all day. I can't blame him - he's lonely and wants to "talk". I'm hoping that a crow collar, if it works, can just reduce the volume a bit.

My roosters are EXCELLENT alarms!!! I never oversleep. I have them all situated outside the two sets of windows near my bed, so it's louder for me than anyone else. But I don't always hear them when I'm in another part of the house.

There are feral peacocks in the neighborhood (which you can hear from a LONG way away - LOUD!), and the next door neighbor has a guinea hen that sounds like a car alarm going off, so I am hopeful that in that context no one would complain. I am allowed roosters/chickens, but I don't want a complaint to open the door to government folks coming to my house and getting all in my business - would rather that not happen.

- Ant Farm

Back
Top Bottom