The Calico/Aloha/Mottled Naked Neck Thread

Pics

May be hope for the mottled/calico project yet. This little ( I think) cockerel is from my Red Mottled rooster ( soon to be butchered if he jumps me one more time) and put of my Mottled Partridge hen.

Got this one along with at least 3 more ( cockerels) and 1 can't decide yet sibling. Most look like they are going to be near bare necked.

This one @alohachickens a cockerel ( I think) is from the Aloha rooster and from one of the Red NN hens. Have you ever gotten a cockerel this light color almost white?

I think I have found a couple if pullets from this cross also.

So it is looking a little better for this project. I was getting frustrated and almost ready to give it up, but I think I'll hang in there for a while yet.

Last edited:

May be hope for the mottled/calico project yet. This little ( I think) cockerel is from my Red Mottled rooster ( soon to be butchered if he jumps me one more time) and put of my Mottled Partridge hen.

Got this one along with at least 3 more ( cockerels) and 1 can't decide yet sibling. Most look like they are going to be near bare necked.

This one @alohachickens a cockerel ( I think) is from the Aloha rooster and from one of the Red NN hens. Have you ever gotten a cockerel this light color almost white?

I think I have found a couple if pullets from this cross also.

So it is looking a little better for this project. I was getting frustrated and almost ready to give it up, but I think I'll hang in there for a while yet.
The light (almost white) cockerel - yes I've had some like that and yes they are useful. Especially for adding color to boring solid or darker hens - like Speckled Sussex crosses. The original foundation Aloha rooster "Vanilla" looked mostly white with some cream / orange coloring.

Good news! This guy - my second pick rooster - found a home locally with a gal who has a flock of Alohas! So this may be yet another source of hatching eggs in the Fall. She is planning on running him with Aloha hens.

So this means I've set up Deb in Tucson, and now Lisa in Buckeye, AZ with Aloha Turken flocks. When the boys are mature, this could be a new source of hatching eggs. And while Debi in Tucson is more a "pet" owner, Lisa is very experienced in poultry and takes a more business approach - and should have the knowledge to ship eggs no problem. :)

Good news! This guy - my second pick rooster - found a home locally with a gal who has a flock of Alohas! So this may be yet another source of hatching eggs in the Fall. She is planning on running him with Aloha hens. So this means I've set up Deb in Tucson, and now Lisa in Buckeye, AZ with Aloha Turken flocks. When the boys are mature, this could be a new source of hatching eggs. And while Debi in Tucson is more a "pet" owner, Lisa is very experienced in poultry and takes a more business approach - and should have the knowledge to ship eggs no problem. :)
That's super! I'm having a hard time getting good pictures, but my boys look look like that as well. That are all so lovely! -Ant Farm

Good news! This guy - my second pick rooster - found a home locally with a gal who has a flock of Alohas! So this may be yet another source of hatching eggs in the Fall. She is planning on running him with Aloha hens. So this means I've set up Deb in Tucson, and now Lisa in Buckeye, AZ with Aloha Turken flocks. When the boys are mature, this could be a new source of hatching eggs. And while Debi in Tucson is more a "pet" owner, Lisa is very experienced in poultry and takes a more business approach - and should have the knowledge to ship eggs no problem. :)
Would you be adverse to getting another person set up to work on be breed???
1f643.png

Actually I would prefer NOT NN. But I am in love with the Alohas! I am in Mesa and moving to an acreage May, 23!
smile.png
This is the thread for the "regular" ones:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/600281/the-aloha-chicken-project/2670

There are going to be chicks due May 7th and 8th but they might go *really really really fast* if the FB people don't flake out? I posted that I'd have cheap Aloha chicks for sale then, first come first served. AZ Backyard Chickens group. If you want any, you'll need to move quick! Also will be setting more eggs to hatch probably on May 20th for local sales. Jump on them if you're interested, we're getting ready to move into summer and when the hens laying slacks off, I won't be able to hatch until possibly late September! No eggs (due to heat) no chicks. :(

@alohachickens and @Fire Ant Farm
Picture day: 4 weeks and 2 days.

These 2 photos: a sex linked pullet and the next is a photo of her wing feathers.

Another sex linked pullet and one of her wing.

These two pullets were by the Spangled Aloha rooster out of the Barred hens. I suspect that the barred hens are mottled carriers. I'm thinking ( with several hens in a pen with the same rooster it's really hard to tell for sure who mom is for sure) their mother was my deceased Columbian NN hen. She was by the Salmon NN rooster ( mottle carrier) and out of an odd colored NN hen.

The barred hens daddy was my Orange Barred ( now gone to someone else). I just called him that color he was actually barred and had a lot of orange ( red) leakage.

This one really has me confused. I think it is a cockerel, but still could be a pullet. Input would be appreciated. He is by the Spangled Aloha rooster out of one of the three red NN hens in that run. I'm not sure if you can see the coloring very good in the picture. Hoping it is a cockerel because I'll have a good colored NN rooster to replace daddy ( not NN).

These three are the only ones that I kept from the Aloha rooster. The sex linked ones because I really want to see how they finish out. The cockerel because I prefer a spotted NN rooster over a fully feathered one.

I really like the one with all the white, but I can't tell gender since the face is turned away!

Here's one of mine growing out - only have two baby girls and one baby boy - plus the 3 spotted and one Mottled carrier hens. Since my coop is getting SO full and most prefer the "regular" necks!

This girl is fabulous for either Aloha or NN program:

I can't wait until Fall when I can pair her with the "keeper" boy of mine:

Crossing the two is going to produce:

100% Mottled Chicks
100% Yellow Legs
50% Dun replacing Black
25% "regular" neck chicks
50% "one gene" NN chicks
25% Homozygous for NN (two gene)

Ooooh I can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom