The Case of the Disappearing Chicken

kcorus

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Hello all,

I'm not sure what's going on with one of our Araucana's lately. Our little flock right now consists of two Red Star's and two Araucana's. They are allowed to free range our property daily and almost always just hang around the the back yard. We have 20 acre's mostly wooded, they rarely wander more than 20 feet into.

One day around two weeks ago, one Araucona went missing. I feared the worst, fox, owl, hawk etc.. Soon after, in a matter of days, one of our RedStars went broody. This lasted about a week or so. A day later, the Araucana came back! I couldn't believe it! The next day, she vanished again. Two days later, back she came. The others in the flock picked on her a bit but all seems back to normal now.

My questions are:

Do some chickens leave the flock to brood" And also, do chickens in a flock tend to "cycle" together, where brooding is concerned?

Or is this behavior breed specific?

Thanks!

Kyron

Last edited:
Yes they will go and brood else where (especially if you collect your eggs) we have a similar living surroundings, we have 55 acres that our girls wander all over. Last year we had a hen go awal and 25 days later she can out and showed off 10 news feather babes. We tried a few times to capture them and move them inside, no luck and sadly my story has a sad ending. SO hopefully your gal will bring her babes home.

Sent from the coop

I've had one disappear for two days before we discovered her secret nest at the neighbors. I left the flock in for a day and have never had a problem since. They all lay in the nest boxes now and free range the rest of the day.
Maybe if you left them in a day or so it could work for you too?

Thank you for the reply. We do indeed collect eggs. It's our 2nd year with chickens and still learning. If she came back with chicks that would be another mystery, there are no roosters in the immediate area, but still pretty cool.

Is there a chance you could quick look through your property to see if you find a nest? Or at least a semi-close area to your home. I know 20 acres is quite a bit of ground to cover.

Yes I guess that would be a mystery with no rooster, immaculate conception? Good luck on your nest hunt ;)

Sent from the coop

Back
Top Bottom