The chicken is playing dead... and yes I screamed like a girl

You poor thing...LOL.
hugs.gif
Bet you 'bout had a heart attack. And get use to it (the dead chicken pose - not having heart attacks)...it'll happen again, just a different bird in a different place. Most of us have been there (just with less drama involved).

Oh, I am so sorry you're one of the folks I missed greeting when you joined. I try very hard to give these warnings to new folks:

1. If you glance in the brooder and see dead chicks, DO NOT PANIC right away. Tap the brooder on the side and I bet, magically, those chicks will wake up. They sleep suddenly, anywhere they happen to be at the time they fall asleep, sometimes even in the classical "on back, legs stretched out" pose. You think you almost see little Xs in their eyes. But this is common, folks thinking their chicks have died when they're just asleep. Perhaps, if this hasn't happened to you yet, I can save you a heart attack.

2. Chicks on their sides, kicking and flapping, are NOT having seizures. They are dust bathing in their bedding. It looks a LOT like some awful convulsion, but it's perfectly normal. Again, no need for heart medication on your part.

3. All chicks spar and "fight" - they are establishing the pecking order almost as soon as they can stand up outside of their shells. Boys and girls do it. 'Tain't nuthin' ominous about it. They run at each other, they stop and stand up really tall (all of 3 or 4 inches), they bump chests, all that gladiator ring stuff. Even the adorable little girl chicks. Also, female chickens also grow spurs, so when the spur "bump" appears, do not automatically think you got a boy there.

4. You suddenly notice a hard lump in one or more chicks' necks and are postive those are tumors of some sort. Nope, just a full crop. Do not panic. Wait until the next morning and check the chick(s) again - most probably the "tumor" will have vanished. This is a common discovery.

5. Enjoy the chicks when they get the "zoomies." They will run around at top speed all over the place, and sometimes, when one gets to zooming around, it will trigger other chicks to do the same. Wheee!

6. Get a good camera. Take a whole lot of pictures. Post them here on BYC for everybody to see (once you are able to upload and share photos). We love pictures!

Enjoy BYCs forums and don't be afraid to ask any questions.

Haha Ive never heard that "Dead Chicken Pose" LOL! Thats too funny. But it reminds me of when my DH first saw it. He came in and told me that one of my hens looked dead. I asked if she was laying on her side, leg out and a wing stretched. He told me yes and I started to giggle. I knew she was doing what your chick was with the heat lamp - "sun bathing" hehe They look dead when they do that
smile.png
I posted a pic on my FB of my young silkie doing it and had to clarify he wasnt dead either XD

282007_10150256699541478_501426477_8167922_2124156_n.jpg

LOL

lau.gif

EXCELLENT introduction!!
Reminds me of the first time my husband saw the chickens taking a dustbath. He was screaming about seizures.
th.gif
City boys know nothing!!

welcome-byc.gif

I'm glad you all are enjoying this! I was able to laugh about it the same day and still laugh about it!

So yes, you are laughing with me. You would only really be laughing At me if you were pointing and You're not pointing are you? Are you? Right?!?

LolLol
smile.png

I am totally pointing. That was way too funny.

I can hear the chick conversation now.

"Ok here she comes. Just like we planned. Daisy you play dead under the light so she can see you real good.
Martha you take a big poo right there. When she gets spooked she will fall right in it."

"OK ready. Places everyone. Remember don't move until she almost touches you, than BAM up and run!"
"Ok shhhh, shhhhh here she is."

Then after the fact....

"bwaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa! Bwaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa. OMG teeeeeeee heeeeeeeee. Bwaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaa."
"Wow now what to do for tomorrow. Dust bathe perhaps?"

welcome-byc.gif

Awesome story! Thank you for the funny today.

Back
Top Bottom