The chicken Journey

Buttercupp Farm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
MA
Ok so my journey started when we took a trip to Agway were we saw the super cute chicks and decided to get 4 we got 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Delaware, and finally 1 Americauna. When we got home we grabbed a box, put some bedding down gave them food and water i dipped their beaks in so that they knew to drink from it and they soon discovered that it was some pretty tasty water. Then I sat back and realized what a big decision I just made. I take care of the chickens now and It is not always an easy job.
Here they are as chicks

Going from the bottom up this is Fifi,Dixie,Tyson, and Betty

This is Tyson

This is Betty

This is what the chicks were staying in.

It is crazy to think how fast they grow up. (and how fast you can tell when they are roosters)
Our chicken Tyson was a rooster
ep.gif
I was totally not expecting it! we found out when he crowed while he was still a pullet, but he was a quiet rooster compared to others so we decided to try some things before we gave him away to somebody who would take care of him (and not kill him) we moved our chickens out to the coop that we bought from Ericksons feed and grain. It is a 6 chicken coop.

Here the chickens are as pullets Tyson front and center in the photo next to Fifi who became his "girlfriend" and Betty is laying down under the ramp.

This is Tyson (red) next to Fifi (white) and dixie is behind both (black)

the chickens were growing fast and Dixie was the first to lay and egg! thank goodness because i was growing impatient!
bow.gif

She layed 3 days worth but I had been forgetting to check the nesting boxes!

here are the chickens as hens! we had to give our rooster away because he started getting a bit too pushy.

Betty hasn't layed an egg yet

Fifi struts around like she is the boss

Dixie hides in the flowers

I open the door to give the chickens scratch and Fifi jumps in the house she is so eager to get it first!

Dixie eats some grass from my hand.

Sadly Fifi passed away but she did lay quite a few eggs
hit.gif

Betty finally layed!

We set up the carton of eggs so that we can se who layed what.

we got two more chickens! Carol, and Penny both Americaunas.

Carol (left and Penny (right)

Carol the chicken that looks like a seagull :)

Penny is starting to look a lot like Betty

Penny likes getting pet

Carol staring right at me

Carol has a very pretty pattern

Penny and Carol looking for bugs

Taking a dust bath

Still taking a dust bath

After the chickens quarintine time we introduced them to the older chickens and it wasn't too pretty at first but once the older chickens made sure everyone knew they were boss they started getting along! check this out!

They chickens have always sat in the same order Dixie closest to the door then Betty but once we got the younger chickens and they fought their way up onto the roost the new or der became Dixie closest to the door next to Betty and they snuggled then a couple feet away Penny then carol, and they snuggled. I started squishing them all together so they could figure out that they could get warmer when they all snuggled and this is the first night they all snuggled on their own.
wee.gif

Betty and Dixie outside during the winter.

I take a photo shoot of Dixie but she seems a bit camera shy

Dixie doing the dramatic look

What is she looking at?

Betty became jealous and told me she was a pro- and apparently she is.

This one is too perfect! ^^^^^

Betty is trying to figure out how to get to the scratch

Show off those butts ladies!

Pecking away at scratch

This is the coop and run

this is inside our coop-the big bar is the roost incase you didn't already know

This is two of the four nesting boxes

If you look at the color of your chickens feet you can tell what color egg they lay.

It is too funny how much Penny is starting to look like Betty!
yippiechickie.gif

The chickens say goodbye and they hoped you enjoyed reading about them!
D.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom