The Chicken Mission - A Philanthropic Chicken Adventure

THEY can buy them at the plaza in Kabankalan if they so desire. Our place is a balut free zone
yippiechickie.gif
goodpost.gif
yippiechickie.gif

maybe those are not the type of eggs they are looking for?
lau.gif

PS: your eggs will go out on Sat. from here

Last edited:
The Chicken Mission

For those of you who don’t know me on this site, I am a crazy chicken man with crazy ideas. It’s a long story and my Getting The Flock Out of Here Thread will explain it if you want the whole story but as a quick summary I am an Australian and I live between the continents of North America and Asia. I travel to the Philippines from Los Angeles every few months to breed and develop common backyard chickens in the Philippines. I have a small coconut farm on the beach, some local animals and chickens.

Many people have commented to me that they would like to come over and see our operation and it started me thinking about combining a chicken tour with doing charitable work for the impoverished. A few ideas were floated and I have had quite a few PMs expressing interest in a "Chicken Mission"

The destination will be the southern portion of Negros Island in the central area of The Philippines. The charitable work will be in Kabankalan and the rest and relaxation will be in Sipalay. Unlike in the islands well to the south, there have been no incidents involving foreigners in our area. SIpalay is a safe sleepy tourist destination with great snorkeling, diving and white sand beaches.

negros_map.gif

So when would this happen?

The cheapest times of the year are actually the best times. These are the non-off peak times in both countries. They also are cooler times which is always good.

My thoughts would be March 2014 but October also works.

So picking a random week in March I did a search on Kayak.com.

At that time, Airfares out of LAX are so cheap – A one-stop flight on an Asian carrier is as low as $821.00. At that price, it will probably be cheaper for those in other cities to fly into LAX and then meet up to travel together rather than trying to fly from all parts unknown and meeting in Manila. Advanced purchase flights to our Island from Manila are less than $60 round trip. Ground transportation will be via a chartered minvan.

So here is a proposed itinerary.

Fri

Depart LAX 10PM. You would change planes in a major Asian hub. The plane would be a FAA certified modern aircraft.
Sun

Arrive MNL (Date line effect) then at 3pm fly to Bacolod (BCD) Overnight in BCD.
Dinner at a 18th St Pala Pala – Seafood Grill
Mon

Leave for Kabankalan City. We will make a stop at The Holy Infant Orphanage. As you will have a great luggage allowance, you can bring any clothes or toys that are no longer in use at home and donate them. Spend the afternoon at the beach house planning the next few days and checking out our birds and breeding programs.
Sunset at our beach house. Dinner on our patio. Overnight in Kabankalan.
Tues

Perform eye exams, diabetic vision screening, cataract screening, catalog glasses needed. (we will do this in a remote mountain village) with the Kabankalan City Lions Club.
Dinner with the Lions Club group and attend the Lions Club meeting. Overnight in Kabankalan
Wed

BYC Member Outreach. Provide education on chicken breeds and breeding and sustainability. Give away 15-20 breeding trios and feed Afternoon at mountain waterfalls / zip line
Sunset at our beach house. Dinner on our patio. Overnight in Kabankalan.
Thu

BYC Member Outreach. Provide education on chicken breeds and breeding and sustainability. Give away 15-20 breeding trios and feed
Afternoon check in to resort, SCUBA dive, snorkeling or relaxing
Fri

SCUBA dive, snorkeling or relaxing
Sat

Morning at the Beach House with lunch. Travel to Bacolod. Dinner at Chicken House. Overnight in BCD
Sun

Fly to MNL then onto LAX arrive LAX at 7pm (this is where date line helps) onto home.

Including airfaires, ground transport, and meals this trip would be less than $1600 with shared hotel and $1800 single occupancy. Hotels are basic, clean with air-conditioning hot water and wifi if there is service in the area.

Here are quick calculations

Single
Airfare - LAX-MNL

Airfare - MNL-BCD

Hotel BCD 2 nights

Hotel Kabankalan 3 Nights

Resort Sipalay 2 nights

Ground Transportation

7 days food and drinks

travel insurance

Alcohol and water-sports extra

As The Lions Club Foundation is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit charitable foundation, you can donate both time and tangibles to it with potential tax deductions (please talk to your tax adviser - not me)

There would need to be 6 - 10 interested people.

This adventure is not sponsored or endorsed by BYC. I am not a travel agent nor am I trying to be. I am not making money from this and would prefer to not hold money. I will collect from participants for land travel and group meals only. I just want to give the group an new experience and help some needy people at the same time.

If you have questions or are interested, indicate here.

Here are a few photos of the area, our place and the chickens.

Thefirst pic of the mountain doesnt even look real so fantastic... and the sunset... i cant say enough ...heaven there....

Back
Top Bottom