The Cornish Cross: “What is wrong with this picture?!” There is so much to think about in this arti

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that the more things change the more that they remain the same. In the 1940s and 1950s my family and I raised pastured broilers. It was quite commend then to see 10, 20, 40, and 80 acres or even larger broiler pastures dotted across the country side. These poultry pastures were divided, fenced, and cross fenced into smaller paddocks and each paddock had a moveable roost shelter.

One problem was aerial predators. I know this because my first job as an up and coming chicken farmer was to sit on a milk crate on my granddaddy's chicken farm with a 20 gage single barrel shot gun on my lap and a hand full of shells in my pocket. The purpose of the "shooting iron" was to "scare" off the chicken hawks. Then there was those other wild birds. I'm speaking about sparrows, starlings, blackbirds, grackles, and other members of the chicken feed stealing tribe who spread fowl mites, lice, and practically every avian disease and internal parasite known to chicken or man. As you can seen pastures are not the perfect or ideal way to farm chickens, far from it.

Now mind you, at this time poultry science had just made it into the big time, and previously pastured poultry was the only way to farm or keep many chickens alive lone enough for them to grow to market size. But even then pastured poultry was dying out as a way to farm chickens. Soon granddad built his first chicken house. At this time the federal minimum wage was a quarter per hour and grocery store chicken cost about the same 25 cents per pound. Now even with todays soaring prices, a fully dressed or processed chicken can still be bought by working less than an hour for minimum wage pay. Before it took half a day of minimum wage labor to buy one New York dressed chicken that sold per pound complete with the feet, head, and guts intact. There had to be a reason that in the past politicians promised America "TWO chickens in every pot", it was because at that time chicken was an out of reach luxury for the vast majority of Americans.

I do know this for a certainty, those who would use a gun to stop you and me from eating chickens and eggs have nothing to loose and everything to gain when grocery store chicken goes to $20 per pound and that Sunday fryer at Krogers cost $100 or more. Meaning that a KFC bucket of original recipe fried chicken with the fixing would go for $500 to a $1,000 dollars a pop. This is not about helping chickens it is about hurting consumers especially the poorest ones by using the power of the state to foment discontent and starvation or to kill corporations by putting the cost of food beyond the means of the poor.

The reason this pastures were used to grow chickens was because there were few if any antibiotics, vaccines, and other medicines or knowledge about how to grow chickens on a large scale especially inside of a building. In the main it just couldn't be done not with chickens, hogs, or dairy cows. Now days the same number of chickens ready for market that once required a 1/2 mile by 1/4 mile pasture to produce can be produced in a couple of 400 X 40 foot chicken houses, they can be produced in fewer days, on a smaller amount of feed, with a higher survival rate, and with less labor than any obsolete poultry pasture past or present could ever hope to do.

Quote: Cheap food is cheap. Short on quality and short of integrity. Looking beyond the industrial poultry manufacturing indoctrination, there is a solid place for small farms to fill the need for wholesome naturally grown poultry. I remember going with my Mother to the poultry processor, which was down the block from Armours, Wilson's and Swift/Cudahy beef and pig meat packing plants.
At the chicken processor she would pick her chicken and they would prepare it for us.
Surely, not as huge as the largest meat packing plants in the world at the time. But it sure beat taking a tour of what went on in those meat packing plants.
In other words, the time is turning back to local food producers, and maybe some of those farmers shoved out can get their farms back that were bought by huge mega producers.
God gave us wonderful food and we should respect that gift and treat it as such.

Cheap food is cheap. Short on quality and short of integrity. Looking beyond the industrial poultry manufacturing indoctrination, there is a solid place for small farms to fill the need for wholesome naturally grown poultry.
In other words, the time is turning back to local food producers, and maybe some of those farmers shoved out can get their farms back that were bought by huge mega producers.
God gave us wonderful food and we should respect that gift and treat it as such.
I agree with everything that you have said here. But I do want to remind people that there are millions of people in our country--not to mention all over the world--that only get protein because of cheap food. If all chicken was produced the way I produce my chicken, only the top earners in our country would eat chicken. Sometimes it's easy to forget when we talk about organic or local food that there are so many of our neighbors that simply can't afford it. I sell meat birds whole for $3.00/lb. That means that one bird from me will set you back over $20, which is about $5 profit for me. Heck, *I* couldn't afford to feed my family a $20 chicken if I wasn't selling a bunch to offset the costs for the ones we eat.

The farmers that have lost their property haven't sold the land to big corporations. In most cases, farmland from farmers that go under is sold for housing. Land that is good for growing crops is land that people want for housing. That land isn't coming back. Part of the problem of small scale farming is just that--scale. I grew up on a mid-sized dairy farm, milking 350 head. We could afford things that smaller farmers couldn't, just because of economies of scale. And those things we could afford--bigger tractors so we only had to make one pass over the land to prepare it instead of many, so less compaction, a way to move manure 20 miles so that we didn't spread too much on any one field, secure manure storage so that none leaked into the nearby creek--made our environmental footprint LESS per animal and per acre than the guy down the street who had 20 cows, couldn't afford the equipment, and had lots of poo in the creek. He would dump his manure straight onto the fields without incorporating it, put too much on each field because he couldn't transport it, and a couple of times he dumped into the creek on purpose hoping he wouldn't get caught but not caring if he did, because the fine was less than what it cost him to deal with it.

I also worked at the Soil and Water Conservation District in an extremely ag-intensive county here in Ohio. LOTS of chicken farms, crop farms, hog farms and dairies. The big farms sold their manure, and it left our county and had no impact on the environment. The little guys spread it next to the creek. The big guys had enough land to afford to make nice, wide buffers for streams. The little guys needed every inch, and spread up to the creek bank. The big guys just let wetlands be wetlands, or even put in wetlands to help clean the water coming off their fields. The little guys again needed every inch, and plowed up the area that should have naturally been wetlands. The big guys used GPS and computer driven spreaders to only put the correct amount of fertilizer where they needed it according to grid soil sampling. The little guys put on a ton of fertilizer all over the field, even where it wasn't needed. When you are a larger farm, because of economies of scale you have enough income coming in to do things that help the environment that you simply can't do on a smaller operation, even if you want to. I don't think most people realize that.

• The article quoted was not from an expert. He raises chickens just like everybody else.
  • The anitbiotics given to the chickens at Tyson or Perdue is what keeps the death rate down.
  • And as for taste from of a Cornish X, it is purely subjective by the person who raised them.
  • If you are going to defend your position certainly they will taste better.

I think people should have an open mind about doing something different that turns out better.

I won't back down from what I believe even tho you are all experts. I have a right to challenge the main stream thinking. And ask for something better.

I Prefer the flavor of pastured birds, and the nutrition they provide.
I also prefer the flavour of pastured birds. I pasture raise my CX, did you not see me mention that?

All those white chickens are CX

CX

NO antibioitcs AT ALL. No medication in the feed for cocci. No vaccinations.

0.jpg

Please choose to educate yourself before sharing facts that are not true.

They have the SAME flavour as a heritage bird when raised in the same conditions. They just grow to a butcher weight 5 times as fast so you can process them before puberty strikes and toughens the meat.

0.jpg

Here they are at 12 weeks, a few days before being butchered.

Please PLEASE just take the time to watch the videos. I have changed so many people's opinions on the CX. They are not terrible. They don't need to be sickly or lazy.

If you try raising a couple CX my way, you will see that. If you still prefer the flavour of a heritage breed, great. I have no problem with that. Different strokes for different folks. Just don't bash the commercial broiler when it is not the way it has to be.

Thanks.

Last edited:
You are who gave me faith in CX lol I simply love these pics and videos. Different breeds do require different tweaks in care. "the industry" has made these birds based on demand. The demand (we, the sheeple, decide the demand) is simply too high to raise the CX properly by big businesses, so commercial institutions build warehouses of pens and cages to maximize quantity at a low cost, in turn close dirty conditions breed disease making vaccinations & medications a must. Same CX hatchmates. Cage one til butcher on cheap feed and range one on fermented organic...the results are night and day. Ranging them commercially isn't big business. For them its more cost effective to cage/pen, grow fast on cheap feed and butcher to sell at a low cost. Bottom line is profit by producing tons of meat that won't kill you. If people would grow their own meat and take on the task of supply their own to their families instead of buying all that $1 a pound grocery store chicken, "the industry" wouldn't be needed. We'd be growing the same birds, differently. Making them more favorable, higher nutrients and non medicated. Happy birds make the yummiest dinners lol
I also prefer the flavour of pastured birds. I pasture raise my CX, did you not see me mention that? All those white chickens are CX CX NO antibioitcs AT ALL. No medication in the feed for cocci. No vaccinations. Please choose to educate yourself before sharing facts that are not true. They have the SAME flavour as a heritage bird when raised in the same conditions. They just grow to a butcher weight 5 times as fast so you can process them before puberty strikes and toughens the meat. Here they are at 12 weeks, a few days before being butchered.

They have the SAME flavour as a heritage bird when raised in the same conditions. They just grow to a butcher weight 5 times as fast so you can process them before puberty strikes and toughens the meat.

Happy birds make the yummiest dinners lol

Well, in this case it looks like it's time for me to turn my red broilers out while I still have a little time before butchering them.

As an aside, and not to hi-jack a thread I hope, it's really nice to see so many different opinions and arguments from so many different ends of experience. I'm learning a lot just by reading all of these threads (sorry OP's for jumping in on some of the threads by the way) and really appreciate that there are so many things to consider. I don't currently have a plan to market lots of birds to lots of buyers, just wanting supper to taste good and teach the kids where it comes from. We are blesed with the opportunity to experiement, so thanks to all of you here at backyardchickens.com for the info.

There are tons of "right ways" to do things in the chicken world I've learned. Each suits different needs and I like that.

I always figured if someone posts a thread on a public forum its fair game to comment or share opinions, advice, ask questions and banter. But then again I am an opinionated person that likes to debate the norms and research for a better way for everything.
We are so detached from the natural world that without these forums a lot of us would be lost or seeking advice from one source-correct or not.
Well, in this case it looks like it's time for me to turn my red broilers out while I still have a little time before butchering them.

As an aside, and not to hi-jack a thread I hope, it's really nice to see so many different opinions and arguments from so many different ends of experience.  I'm learning a lot just by reading all of these threads (sorry OP's for jumping in on some of the threads by the way) and really appreciate that there are so many things to consider.  I don't currently have a plan to market lots of birds to lots of buyers, just wanting supper to taste good and teach the kids where it comes from. We are blesed with the opportunity to experiement, so thanks to all of you here at backyardchickens.com for the info.

Last edited:
I contacted the author of the ariticle I posted. I wanted to know what he is doing now since writing his article. This is what he says.
Quote: I hope users of BYC will read this response. It was nice of him to respond to my questions.

I agree with everything that you have said here. But I do want to remind people that there are millions of people in our country--not to mention all over the world--that only get protein because of cheap food. If all chicken was produced the way I produce my chicken, only the top earners in our country would eat chicken. Sometimes it's easy to forget when we talk about organic or local food that there are so many of our neighbors that simply can't afford it. I sell meat birds whole for $3.00/lb. That means that one bird from me will set you back over $20, which is about $5 profit for me. Heck, *I* couldn't afford to feed my family a $20 chicken if I wasn't selling a bunch to offset the costs for the ones we eat.

The farmers that have lost their property haven't sold the land to big corporations. In most cases, farmland from farmers that go under is sold for housing. Land that is good for growing crops is land that people want for housing. That land isn't coming back. Part of the problem of small scale farming is just that--scale. I grew up on a mid-sized dairy farm, milking 350 head. We could afford things that smaller farmers couldn't, just because of economies of scale. And those things we could afford--bigger tractors so we only had to make one pass over the land to prepare it instead of many, so less compaction, a way to move manure 20 miles so that we didn't spread too much on any one field, secure manure storage so that none leaked into the nearby creek--made our environmental footprint LESS per animal and per acre than the guy down the street who had 20 cows, couldn't afford the equipment, and had lots of poo in the creek. He would dump his manure straight onto the fields without incorporating it, put too much on each field because he couldn't transport it, and a couple of times he dumped into the creek on purpose hoping he wouldn't get caught but not caring if he did, because the fine was less than what it cost him to deal with it.

I also worked at the Soil and Water Conservation District in an extremely ag-intensive county here in Ohio. LOTS of chicken farms, crop farms, hog farms and dairies. The big farms sold their manure, and it left our county and had no impact on the environment. The little guys spread it next to the creek. The big guys had enough land to afford to make nice, wide buffers for streams. The little guys needed every inch, and spread up to the creek bank. The big guys just let wetlands be wetlands, or even put in wetlands to help clean the water coming off their fields. The little guys again needed every inch, and plowed up the area that should have naturally been wetlands. The big guys used GPS and computer driven spreaders to only put the correct amount of fertilizer where they needed it according to grid soil sampling. The little guys put on a ton of fertilizer all over the field, even where it wasn't needed. When you are a larger farm, because of economies of scale you have enough income coming in to do things that help the environment that you simply can't do on a smaller operation, even if you want to. I don't think most people realize that.
Scale. It is a bit of a dirty word. The state of Iowa is the largest producers of eggs in the U.S. Why does one state have to be the largest producers ? To scale down and open up new areas of egg production would alleviate some of the aggregious monoliths.

Scale. It is a bit of a dirty word. The state of Iowa is the largest producers of eggs in the U.S. Why does one state have to be the largest producers ? To scale down and open up new areas of egg production would alleviate some of the aggregious monoliths.

That makes no sense. Of course one state will be the largest producer. That's the way math works. If Iowa wasn't the largest producer, another state would be. Even if there were no large laying houses at all, one state would still produce more eggs than another, and be the largest producer. If Iowa stopped producing eggs tomorrow, my state of Ohio would then be the #1 producer. What's your point?

Monoliths--I don't think this word means what you think it means. Iowa does not have one monolithic laying house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom