The downside to free range

Chicken Mama15

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2015
Missouri
I lost two of my new spring checks today one was an Easter egger named Goldie and there was a Barock I hadn't even got a band on her and she looks so much like her sisters that I didn't have a name yet I'm sure predator got Goldie but I couldn't find any marks on the other one they weren't even there anything just goalie had a bite mark it makes me very sad but I'd rather them have free range of the 8 acres and have a happy life then have to keep them caged up
Goldie on a happier day

I am new to chickens just these last two months but already had Maremma Sheepdogs because a pack of coyotes had made a buffet of my rescued feral cats a couple of years ago. I can't tell you how impressed I've been with the instincts of my maremmas with their new duties! I am free ranging (supervised) my 2-3 month old chicks with my 2 year old and 5 mos old maremmas and they have so far chased off two hawks that think I've put these chickens out for their benefit!

Mama:

Have you considered an electric fence? Maybe not to keep the birds in but to keep the varmints out? Some might make it past that, but will pay the price when they try.

Maybe a 2 to 3 acre sanctuary?

I lost two of my new spring checks today one was an Easter egger named Goldie and there was a Barock I hadn't even got a band on her and she looks so much like her sisters that I didn't have a name yet I'm sure predator got Goldie but I couldn't find any marks on the other one they weren't even there anything just goalie had a bite mark it makes me very sad but I'd rather them have free range of the 8 acres and have a happy life then have to keep them caged up
Goldie on a happier day
when I put the chickens to bed I noticed one of the chickens had a bite do any of you know how to take care of chickens with a bite the feathers on her bottom are missing and she has two puncture holes on your side near her rear end help please

Make sure the chicken isn't getting pecked and picked on by the other chickens. Some neosporin (be sure and use the type with NO pain relief ingredient in it!!!) applied may help prevent infection. You may need to put her in quarantine so that the other chickens don't start pecking her wounds.

Best wishes,
Ed

Free range is great but i would recommend you make a 10x10 movable cage
They are essentially caged but i move they everyday to another location.

so they are kind of caged/free range chickens.

You don't have to keep them caged up. You can build a huge pen on 8 acres that would be almost the same as free ranging.
For what it is worth, a free range chicken will forage on up to about 25 acres of land if that chicken has access to that much territory and needs the food that free ranging brings. But every morsel of food that you feed your chickens reduces the need for those chickens to forage this freely. So in reality no chicken that is fed can ever be considered 100% free range chickens.

I guess every chicken grower needs to find the right balance
to keep the chicken safe but also keep it free-range.

For me...i like to keep it cage but move the coop daily

I guess for me my thought it keep moving it so they are clean
and they are not covered in poop like those commercial chicken farm.

feel bad for those chickens....

according to the USDA .. free ranging means "access to the outside" and that's about it..
hmm.png

other places

the chickens must have access to the outside with sunlight and dirt + need to be a certain sq ft per bird

Back
Top Bottom