The Duck Thread

Yep niacin. Normally a duck gets it from the food it eats while outside. I believe from bugs and grass and stuff. If they don't get it it can cause leg issues. You have to add it to ducklings food when in a brooder. They'll get weak legs. So far adding brewers yeast to their diet has always helped me.

Yep niacin. Normally a duck gets it from the food it eats while outside. I believe from bugs and grass and stuff. If they don't get it it can cause leg issues. You have to add it to ducklings food when in a brooder. They'll get weak legs. So far adding brewers yeast to their diet has always helped me.
I remember now, that's what it was called, Niacin! Thank you for the additional info.
Frozen peas are a way better treat lol. I'm trying to get my Muscovy to like me with them.
The duck with the niacin deficiency was a Muscovy girl. She wasn't very human-friendly either lol.

Blue boy is still hanging in there. Came out fora bit today.
20180212_115822.jpg

That would be nice. I love his back. Really need to pick a name for him. He really did get out so I could clean pen lol. I worked all day/night yesterday and only had time for fresh straw on top. I normally change it every day. As soon as I had it set back up he went back in lol.
20180212_120817.jpg

Hey his foot just fell off. I'm home alone so I'm having a hard time getting a good look at it. Not much blood. He's intub right now I'm going to clean out pen, clean the stump and try to wrap it. Does that all sound right? Anything else @BantyChooks ?
Sounds great! Coat it with a good thick layer of triple antibiotic ointment.

Thank you. Caught me by surprise. I thought it would take longer. How often do I change the bandage? Theres no blood in tub at all.
I did every other day for a week then gradually stretched it out until it was pretty much all healed and then I only changed it twice a month. At that point it was more to prevent her roughing up the end than to prevent infection. I left it on so long because this is a big bone end that needs to heal over, not something simple and pressure free such as a toe.

Back
Top Bottom