The Duck Thread

Hi everyone,
have a question about our new ducks! every night I have to "chase" them around the pen to put them in for the night. Should I have to do that? Didn't know if they were like chickens in that they go in their coop at dusk. Or do they not like to go in at night? thanks for any advice!

Ducks do not coop like chickens....they have webbed feet unsuitable for roosting so there is no need for them to "find a tree so sleep in for the night" like the chickens' ancestor would have. Ducks simply find themselves a good spot tucked away under a bush on the ground or in the water. When that isn't available to them, (as in the domestic duck) they will just plop down wherever they feel like it. Sometimes mine will put themselves to bed....especially if it's cold...sometimes they will even go into the chicken house since they all live in the same area, but I always have to go out before I go to bed at the end of the night and put them in their little dog house and put the door down.
The other thing is that ducks do not sleep through the night. If I didn't have a door on my duck house, they would be in and out of it all night. I like to keep the door shut because that guarantees that they will lay their eggs in the house and not outside in the run. Mine can go without water through the night but I usually put them up around 10 or 11pm and let them back out around 8am, so they only go about 9 or 10 hrs. I wouldn't deprive them much longer than that.

Our first ever ducks. Mixed Cayuga/ pekin. I saw something about not feeding them layer chick feed. Right now the ducks and chickens are the same age, and farmer we got them from said they can eat the chick starter, unmedicated. What do I feed them next and at what age? What if they do eat the chickens layer feed when the chicks are ready for it? They are all in the run together so how do I prevent them from eating the layer feed? Thanks! this is the best place to learn!
I have never heard that female ducks should not have layer feed. I have 2 female ducks that eat the same layer pellet as my chickens and have been fine. Really, the only big thing about layer feed is that it has extra calcium in it for nice hard egg shells. Whoever said to feed the young ones non-med chick starter was right about that. Experts say that the medication in chick starter used to prevent coccidiosis in chicks can be harmful to ducks...and ducks are more resistant to disease anyways. For that matter, unless you brood large amounts of chickens over and over, or buy them from a seller who doesn't take preventative measures, the chances of your brood getting coccidia are slim anyhow, but that's a whole other can of worms. I fed my little ones Flock Raiser, by Purina which is a higher protein, all-fowl feed that is un-medicated and it worked great. If you don't like Purina, most feed brands sell some kind of all-fowl food. When they were all growed up and ready to lay, at about 16-18 weeks I switched them to layer pellets.

Could that be the start of the feather curling? 6 weeks old.

Frick and Frack for now!

love birds! haha!

any way to make them less skittish? walk into run and they go as far away as they can!

I don't think that's the beginnings of a drake feather. I've heard drake feathers come in closer to 5-6 months than 6 weeks.

Drakes feathers come in around 4-6 months. If they are 6 weeks old you might be able to quack sex them. Males should sound hoarse and raspy. Females have a clear load quack.

Add far as making them less skittish, hand feeding them treats is about the easiest way. Ducks are prey animals and so instinct when something taller than them is around is to run because it is dangerous. Feeding them treats from your hand is a good way to let then realize your not trying to eat them. This can be trying at first though because they won't want to come eat out your hands right of the bat.

Last edited:
Drakes feathers come in around 4-6 months. If they are 6 weeks old you might be able to quack sex them. Males should sound hoarse and raspy. Females have a clear load quack.

Add far as making them less skittish, hand feeding them treats is about the easiest way. Ducks are prey animals and so instinct when something taller than them is around is to run because it is dangerous. Feeding them treats from your hand is a good way to let then realize your not trying to eat them. This can be trying at first though because they won't want to come eat out your hands right of the bat.
they ate out of my daughters hands today so that is a good start. I will take my time, sit in a chair with my hand out with treats! thanks!

Ducks do not coop like chickens....they have webbed feet unsuitable for roosting so there is no need for them to "find a tree so sleep in for the night" like the chickens' ancestor would have. Ducks simply find themselves a good spot tucked away under a bush on the ground or in the water. When that isn't available to them, (as in the domestic duck) they will just plop down wherever they feel like it. Sometimes mine will put themselves to bed....especially if it's cold...sometimes they will even go into the chicken house since they all live in the same area, but I always have to go out before I go to bed at the end of the night and put them in their little dog house and put the door down.
The other thing is that ducks do not sleep through the night. If I didn't have a door on my duck house, they would be in and out of it all night. I like to keep the door shut because that guarantees that they will lay their eggs in the house and not outside in the run. Mine can go without water through the night but I usually put them up around 10 or 11pm and let them back out around 8am, so they only go about 9 or 10 hrs. I wouldn't deprive them much longer than that.
I have never heard that female ducks should not have layer feed. I have 2 female ducks that eat the same layer pellet as my chickens and have been fine. Really, the only big thing about layer feed is that it has extra calcium in it for nice hard egg shells. Whoever said to feed the young ones non-med chick starter was right about that. Experts say that the medication in chick starter used to prevent coccidiosis in chicks can be harmful to ducks...and ducks are more resistant to disease anyways. For that matter, unless you brood large amounts of chickens over and over, or buy them from a seller who doesn't take preventative measures, the chances of your brood getting coccidia are slim anyhow, but that's a whole other can of worms. I fed my little ones Flock Raiser, by Purina which is a higher protein, all-fowl feed that is un-medicated and it worked great. If you don't like Purina, most feed brands sell some kind of all-fowl food. When they were all growed up and ready to lay, at about 16-18 weeks I switched them to layer pellets.
Mine are on the brand dumor. non medicated. thanks for all the info! we have a dog house for our ducks too! they have water in the house too! thanks again!

It's good for them to be skittish when they are young - a natural defense mechanism: don't trust what you don't know. Mine took several months to become 'friendly'. I started getting them to trust me by throwing a few peas into their pool until they realized they liked them. Then every evening I would bring them a couple of handfuls of frozen peas (salt free) and toss them into their coop. Now they greet me at the back door and run just ahead of me to their coop at the end of the day. It just take time, patient and consistent training. As for getting them to eat out of your hand as some owners do; I've watched where they stick their bills and what they dig up and decided I don't want to be the hand that feeds them. Each to their own though.

It's good for them to be skittish when they are young - a natural defense mechanism: don't trust what you don't know. Mine took several months to become 'friendly'. I started getting them to trust me by throwing a few peas into their pool until they realized they liked them. Then every evening I would bring them a couple of handfuls of frozen peas (salt free) and toss them into their coop. Now they greet me at the back door and run just ahead of me to their coop at the end of the day. It just take time, patient and consistent training. As for getting them to eat out of your hand as some owners do; I've watched where they stick their bills and what they dig up and decided I don't want to be the hand that feeds them. Each to their own though.
Mine are 6 weeks old. Should I wait until they are 3 months old for treats?

Back
Top Bottom