The Duck Thread

help! i got these 2 cuties froma friend who purchased but couldnt keep them
i know absolutely nothing about ducks.
can someone tell me what breeds they are and how to sex them??
thanks!

My guess is Rouen and Buff. Wait a month and girls quack loudly.

Safety first!

Read the Raising Ducklings thread in the Stickies (link in blue letters at top of Duck Forum index. )

I have a question. We bought ducklings at Rural King, 2 runners 2 khakis. All the same size then, now the runners and one khaki are over twice as big as the other khaki. All seam healthy. Anyone ever see this?

I have a question. We bought ducklings at Rural King, 2 runners 2 khakis. All the same size then, now the runners and one khaki are over twice as big as the other khaki. All seam healthy. Anyone ever see this?

One of my runners is big also but I don't think it is off any concern because mine is eating normal, laying everyday, and active.

New to ducks here. 5 Blue Swedish. I've been mixing their crumbles with water to make a mash but wonderfulthey have a pool. Will mixing their feed be a problem for them. I do have a large yard to range but for now I keep them in a fenced in part of the yard. 50 X 100 maybe. They're in with the chickens right now. I'm in NY as you can see. Any winter advice? I cover the chickens run with plastic so they can go out in the winter time. I have other chickens who just get a snowblowed area and they seem fine with that.
I put warm water every day in this rubber feeder on the coldest days and my ducks were thrilled. It was like a hot tub. I also used a heated dog bowl in their coopthat worked wonderful.

My guess is Rouen and Buff. Wait a month and girls quack loudly.

Safety first!

Read the Raising Ducklings thread in the Stickies (link in blue letters at top of Duck Forum index. )
I agree, My buffs and Rouen's looked just like that when they were little.

help! i got these 2 cuties froma friend who purchased but couldnt keep them
i know absolutely nothing about ducks.
can someone tell me what breeds they are and how to sex them??
thanks!

My fawn & white runners looked just like that though as a baby as well. I actually thought they were Buffs because of that. But once they molted out they had the fawn & white coloring, so I'd say that one could be either. The other as everyone said, is a Rouen.

Ok can somebody tell me what kind of ducks I have brought into the family. I got them as babies from the feed store. I love them. I named them Laverne and Shirley but I think Laverne is going to be Squiggy, since that little curl is coming up on his tail. Oh yes, he's the one with the little hat.

Back
Top Bottom