The Duck Thread

There's no way I could've sat and watched my adult bird basically do something I thought was 1-beat the snot out of or 2-rape and pillage a duckling. Pretty sure the screaming would be nightmare inducing enough. Either separate them asap, don't keep that many or dig a hole for the little one when its all over.
1f61e.png
That would be one of those moments where we were supposed to step in and get the defenseless one out of harms way. Pets or not, I couldn't handle that.

I have 2 three week old black Cayuga ducklings...they seem to lay down a lot...they're not sick , eating / drinking /pooing normal, but it just seems like they should be walking/running around around more than they do...i never had ducks before so is this normal or is something wrong?
They are eating purina chick start and grow NON medicated. Ive read i should give them niacin & it's 100mg/gal but how often should i give it? Daily, every other day, once a week?

Last edited:
I have 2 three week old black Cayuga ducklings...they seem to lay down a lot...they're not sick , eating / drinking /pooing normal, but it just seems like they should be walking/running around around more than they do...i never had ducks before so is this normal or is something wrong?
They are eating purina chick start and grow NON medicated. Ive read i should give them niacin & it's 100mg/gal but how often should i give it? Daily, every other day, once a week?

No, they just rest a lot.. We use storey's guide to raising duck's.. It is a great book to have on hand. So full of great information.. From what I remember, he say's broiler starters feed as a good amount of niacin.. When ours were small we would let them out in a small caged area in the yard.. They love to look for bug's.. Plus the sunshine and new stuff..

We had the official "clipping of the wings" this evening, since Mocha decided she was going to try to get airborne the other day. She didn't get very high off the ground, but I'm guessing with a running start she might be able to clear the fence (it's just over 3 feet high) and get out of her pen. She'd still be in the back yard with 6' high privacy fencing, but if my dogs were outside it could be bad. I don't think they'd hurt one of the ducks on purpose, but they'd get excited and chase and stuff. Someone would get hurt.

All of my ducks think I'm horrible now. Abba and Harley wouldn't even come and take peas from me. Mocha didn't care, though. If I have peas, she is THERE. That duck loves her greens.

I'd use Brewers yeast just to make sure they are getting adequate amount of the B vitamins especially the B3, you just sprinkle it over their feed. I actually like Nutritional yeast better[GNC or Whole foods] because it's a flake and not fine powder. They need to have this daily till 10-12 weeks old. 1tablespoon to 1 cup of feed.
Some water fowl do fine on chick feed even though it doesn't have the amount of niacin they need but others need the extra support and it sure doesn't hurt them even if they don't need it. if you use the BY or NY.

Last edited:
Ideas for continuing 'bonding' as my ducklings grow? They are 4 weeks old, would 'snuggle' in the early days. NOw that they're 'tough adolescents!' they are becoming more aloof. I have 3 female Pekins.

Ideas for continuing 'bonding' as my ducklings grow? They are 4 weeks old, would 'snuggle' in the early days. NOw that they're 'tough adolescents!' they are becoming more aloof. I have 3 female Pekins.
Sometimes just sitting with them and maybe a handful of dried meal worms is all you need. They go through so many stages as they mature so just spending quiet time with them looking for worms gosh that is an exciting time here they pretty much stand on out feet if we bring out the shovel to dig worms we just have to be very careful not to take off a foot since they like to be in the hole too. They may never be the cuddly duckling again they are growing up but you can keep it where they like to be around you.

You really need to be right there durring the first few meeting's.. Duck's can be mean.. But just so i understand you have 4 duck's? 2 different ages, right? Plus how much space.. Can you integrate them between a fence, so they can not reach threw? If you have to many drakes then yes it might be time to get rid of him, but honestly, you probably introduced them to soon, and would need to interven as soon as he goes after her, or any other's..
You are dealing with 2 different flock's.. It will take time.. Photos of your set up? & brat's??
Now I have a flock of 8.She is doing fine this morning.

The run is too small,but I plan on keeping the ducklings in their very own house.

The coop is big enough for all of them to sleep on.They have been sleeping together and in the run for a while.they have seen them,they know who they are.My drake should be out of that stage.he is 2 years old and has settled down ALOT.I might be able to get pictures later.I have noticed my drake hasn't went for the pekin duckling but has beat him,and shews him off.

There's no way I could've sat and watched my adult bird basically do something I thought was 1-beat the snot out of or 2-rape and pillage a duckling. Pretty sure the screaming would be nightmare inducing enough. Either separate them asap, don't keep that many or dig a hole for the little one when its all over.
1f61e.png
That would be one of those moments where we were supposed to step in and get the defenseless one out of harms way. Pets or not, I couldn't handle that.
I had no idea it was something bad.just figured it was nature.....

Back
Top Bottom