The Duck Thread

Mr.Darwin
Oh my goodness @Julie Bird has to see Mr. Darwin he is so precious and those little webs covered.
love.gif

Mr.Darwin

Squee! So stinkin cute!

I watched The Original DUCKumentary and though it was about wild ducks it said that ducks have (I hope Im explaining this correctly) valves in their circulatory system to control blood flow to their feet so that they are actually cooler than the rest of the duck and it prevents the cooled blood from lowering body temperatures. That's what allows them to swim in frigid waters with little adverse affect. I'm explaining this poorly, but it was pretty interesting.

Squee! So stinkin cute!

I watched The Original DUCKumentary and though it was about wild ducks it said that ducks have (I hope Im explaining this correctly) valves in their circulatory system to control blood flow to their feet so that they are actually cooler than the rest of the duck and it prevents the cooled blood from lowering body temperatures. That's what allows them to swim in frigid waters with little adverse affect. I'm explaining this poorly, but it was pretty interesting.
I read something similar recently. Waterfowl are endotherms which means that they have a circulatory system that adjusts for external temps to keep them warmer in cold weather. Something about veins and arteries actually exchanging heat and cold to regulate their body temps.

Back
Top Bottom